Benefit of points?

#1BlitzBallerJGPosted 5/14/2013 10:47:28 PM
What is the main purpose of points? Is there any reason to try and be higher than the other players?

I thought the total points was the experience you get, so whether you got the most or the least individually it really makes no difference right?
#2pfh1001Posted 5/14/2013 11:04:52 PM
Experience & Challenges. Once you are at level 20, just challenge points.

And bragging rights for people that like that sort of thing.
#3BlitzBallerJG(Topic Creator)Posted 5/14/2013 11:13:12 PM
Right but there's not really any reason to be greedy for kills?
i was going kill crazy, not at the expense of my teammates but I was being super aggressive and would end up with double my next squad mates points. But that doesn't earn me more experience than they got right?
#4TheSocialBunnyPosted 5/14/2013 11:31:19 PM
From my understanding, at the end of the mission every one is given the total sum of the team's points. It isn't even split or divided in any shape way or form, it is simply given in it's whole glory to each member of the team. Players at Level 20 have even less reason to care and ESPECIALLY players who are in the "N7 120 Club" that never promote.

Technically, one could drag out mission waves to get more XP, but that's a terribad idea in general given the risks and dimishing return of Credits to time ratio which is what most players really care about. Technically, the points help with challenges to, but just grinding the game would do that without any inherent need to be suicidally aggressive.

The scoreboard at the end of each match is just there for ego stroking purposes, and some kits have an inherent advantage in scoring while other kits like the Volus and Juggernaut help the team in ways that are not tangibly measurable. Of course, it still kinda' feels nice to score high, especially if you're playing with another person using the same kit for a little friendly competition. I'm guilty of always wanting to end my gaming session with being the top scorer just to leave on a high note ~^_^~.
#5KADFCPosted 5/15/2013 8:11:13 AM
BlitzBallerJG posted...
i was going kill crazy, not at the expense of my teammates but I was being super aggressive and would end up with double my next squad mates points. But that doesn't earn me more experience than they got right?

But that's how you're suppose to play the game. There is absolutely no reason for you to be idle and give your teammates more points. EVERYONE should try to kill everything as fast as possible. Especially on gold and plat. Points also determine if I want to kick someone after the match is over. Example 50K vs everyone else having 120K+

For bronze and silver, feel free to drag the game on during objectives, but that's based on the purpose or intentions of each player. If I wanted more points Guardians and/or Husks/Abominations, I'd just ignore the objective until it's near to the end. Failing or not is quite optional. If you don't care for that and you just want the waves/extractions, then by all means finish it ASAP.

Regardless, it mainly depends if you care about challenges and the points that goes towards them or not. And no, everyone gets the same amount of EXP. You shouldn't really care too much about EXP though. Credits might be different depending on the extraction
#6Talon5967Posted 5/15/2013 8:49:11 AM
BlitzBallerJG posted...

It doesn't matter who kills enemies or how they die, as long as they die fast. Everyone gets the same XP, as well as the same credits from the objectives.

The only factor that allows one player to get more credits than another is the extraction bonus: each player that extracts gets an bonus based of the difficulty you're playing one. Regardless if everyone extracts, or if only one player does, each player that extracts gets the same amount for the bonus. Obviously, anyone that does not extract does not get the bonus.

And as it was already explained, you can drag out objective waves to get more points, but objectives are what determines how many credits you get. The faster you do the objective, the more credits you get. If you drag them out to get more points, you get fewer credits.
---
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those that know binary, and those that don't.
GT:Talon Omega. If you send an FR please tell me where you got my GT.