I played a silver match yesterday for the first time in months

#1YamatoBeatsPosted 5/21/2013 2:20:11 PM
It was so horribly sluggish. The entire time, I was the only one killing anything. I felt like I was completely overbearing and that no one was having any fun.

This isn't a brag post because I wanted to point something out. I don't think it's a fair move to go from Silver to Gold because the difference between the two is far and wide. I know when I first started participating in Gold matches, I was able to score 100k easy on almost every Silver match I got into. Then I found out that I couldn't handle Gold worth a damn. The difficulty was raised by a staggering amount and I felt completely overwhelmed. I felt that it wasn't fair.

There really should have been an "in between" for the two, as I feel that even if you were good enough to hold your own on Silver, your experience on Gold was still going to be a painful one if you didn't already have prior expience.
---
"Limits, like fears, are often just an illusion."
#2terrysmay04Posted 5/21/2013 2:23:05 PM
last time I played silver I felt invincible as a Drell vanguard.
---
GT: THE Terry May
Keep clam and Chive on!
#3LordvakidosPosted 5/21/2013 2:29:47 PM
i started gold very early i was well under n7 100 it was back in the gold geth white camping days. it pushed me to step up eventually i went to silver to get more relaxed. silver has since been my testing difficulty n wen i wanna play but relax n not carry. i limit myself now though
#4YandizbarPosted 5/21/2013 2:30:07 PM
I don't see the jump in difficulty as a negative. it forces lone wolves to either become better, or learn to be a team player. Gold is simply easily beaten with prepared players, teamwork, communication, and chemistry.
#5fennell92Posted 5/21/2013 2:35:19 PM
The problem is that everything becomes worse in moving from gold to silver. Enemies become tougher, stronger, and more numerous (especially the boss/mid boss types).

If they made a mode where you faced the amount of enemies you face on gold but with silver level health/damage or a mode with the silver amount of enemies but with gold levels of health/damage, then that would make for a nice transition.

At this point though, I imagine a good number of players see each difficulty as being a bit tame, or at least totally finish-able.
#6YamatoBeats(Topic Creator)Posted 5/21/2013 3:29:07 PM
Yandizbar posted...
I don't see the jump in difficulty as a negative. it forces lone wolves to either become better, or learn to be a team player. Gold is simply easily beaten with prepared players, teamwork, communication, and chemistry.

I've come to learn that even the best equipped teams with the best players and the best chemistry can have something go awry, leading to a wipe. Whether it be a bad hack, early sync on an objective or even just miscommunication, something can happen. I never go into a game thinking we're gonna lose but I also never think we're gonna blow everything out of the water.

My point is the fact that Silver kinda builds up a false confidence for something that is easily 10 times harder. In my personal experience and from I can tell from random PUG behavior, that confidence is unwarranted.

Don't get me wrong; I'm a firm believer that the only way you learn and get better is to get the s*** beaten out of you a couple times. Wave 2 wipes, wave 3 syncs, stuff like that. You learn wave composition and thus form strategies based on that knowledge. You learn AI habits and form habits of your own based on their behavior. All that stuff you can't really pick up from a Silver game because it gets real easy, real fast.
---
#78bitPunkPosted 5/21/2013 3:45:58 PM(edited)
YamatoBeats posted...
It was so horribly sluggish. The entire time, I was the only one killing anything. I felt like I was completely overbearing and that no one was having any fun.
There really should have been an "in between" for the two, as I feel that even if you were good enough to hold your own on Silver, your experience on Gold was still going to be a painful one if you didn't already have prior expience.

Yeah, Gold should have been easier, and then they could add "Diamond" or whatever as an additionally more difficult setting past Platinum.

Its also tough because there are a lot of people in gold who should still be honing their skills in Silver, but want the extra credits from Gold and end up just dragging down the team.

Edit: Also, I believe in Requirements/Testing which would prohibit players from entering the higher difficulties until they passed. For instance, "X Games as Y Class successfully Extracted in Silver difficulty before X Class is allowed into Gold."

Ideally there would be additional limitations, with enhancements to allow players eventual entry (Extract 10 times, or complete 1000 waves as a ridiculous example).

fennell92 posted...
The problem is that everything becomes worse in moving from gold to silver. Enemies become tougher, stronger, and more numerous (especially the boss/mid boss types).

The only thing that improves from Player perspective, is the damage dealt by Biotic/Tech Explosions.

I think they should have kept the enemy damage consistent for all difficulties. Higher difficulties would have more enemies in the area. Or just ramp up the enemy health/damage by smaller amounts. This way players would be used to enemies dealing so much damage, instead of being shocked when a solo Marauder completely mows you down.
---
Xbox 360 GT: o 8bitPunk o
Need a new Emoticon? Why not Zoidberg? (V) (;,,;) (V)
#8GoldenSWarriorsPosted 5/21/2013 3:38:16 PM
YamatoBeats posted...
Yandizbar posted...

I've come to learn that even the best equipped teams with the best players and the best chemistry can have something go awry, leading to a wipe. Whether it be a bad hack, early sync on an objective or even just miscommunication, something can happen. I never go into a game thinking we're gonna lose but I also never think we're gonna blow everything out of the water.

no objective on any map/enemy is a guaranteed loss. The best players on the best equipped team would never lose.
---
GT: F3rocious Panda
#9YamatoBeats(Topic Creator)Posted 5/21/2013 5:10:46 PM
GoldenSWarriors posted...
YamatoBeats posted...
Yandizbar posted...

no objective on any map/enemy is a guaranteed loss. The best players on the best equipped team would never lose.

I never said it was guaranteed. I only stated that sometimes, s*** happens. Bad objectives, more often than not, tend to be that s***.
---
#10GoldenSWarriorsPosted 5/21/2013 5:17:50 PM
YamatoBeats posted...
GoldenSWarriors posted...
YamatoBeats posted...
Yandizbar posted...

I never said it was guaranteed. I only stated that sometimes, s*** happens. Bad objectives, more often than not, tend to be that s***.

yeah, that's true, but I still think the best players using the best loadouts would never lose.
---
GT: F3rocious Panda