Every decision we make is meaningless, or are they? (Possible Spoilers)

#1CharmilePosted 6/7/2013 10:36:53 AM
Read the post before Voting - Results (73 votes)
I agree to the extreme: the only meaningful decision is to destroy the copy of Mass Effect 1/2/3 at Bioware
12.33% (9 votes)
Yeah, but that doesn't mean it has to be destroyed, hopefully other developers will learn from it.
10.96% (8 votes)
They are meaningless, but that doesn't mean it wasn't a good ride
34.25% (25 votes)
I have no strong feelings one way or the other
5.48% (4 votes)
Perhaps, because it was brought to a number value, but they were meaningful to me, which is enough
26.03% (19 votes)
They were very meaningful.
10.96% (8 votes)
This poll is now closed.
Now before you start raging and flaming, here's what I'm looking at here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tag9Pm3qtA&feature=player_detailpage#t=49s

Basically the theory is brought down to this, as long as there is a parallel universe and you have knowledge of it

-For every decision made, a new universe is made, ie: Paragon, Renegade, mixed, etc.

-This makes our choice meaningless, as we would have no consequence of our action and we could simply move between the universes for better options, again losing the merit of our choice

So let's take Owlman's concept out of the DC universe, for a bit and apply it to Mass Effect as

1. Each game copy/save file can be considered a parallel universe

2. Thanks to Internet, we have knowledge of these other universes

So ME3 Gamefaqs community, does Owlman's Nihilism have a ground in ME, or is he just as insane as he is in the DC Universe?

And of course the first option of the poll is not realistic viable or meant to hate on Bioware, it is simply meant to reflect Owlman's choice for what he believed would be the only meaningful decision.

Please discuss and provide your own voice to this
---
The problem with restraining speech is, who gets to set the rules? If it's only okay in a certain time or place, who gets to say what time and what place?
#2phoenix52Posted 6/7/2013 10:49:48 AM
They were meaningful to me. Owlman talks about an Earth Prime from which all parallel universes arise. That's similar to how I see it when I go through the game as what I consider to be my true Shepard. Subsequent playthroughs allow me to view all of the different permutations, but the true experience is the one that I get when I play through according to my own interpretation of Shepard.

On a more philosophical level, I think that they matter simply as the results of someone exercising their beliefs and allowing that to shape the universe that they inhabit.
---
Its like having a knitting contest between the best regular old lady knitter in the world and a guy who's superpower is specifically to be the best knitter ever
#3XenoSuikodenPosted 6/7/2013 11:47:52 AM
They seem meaningless on the surface because none of the decisions seem to impact the main story of the game. If you take a stepback and look at what your decisions had on your ME Universe. That is when your decisions start to look meaningful.
#4fennell92Posted 6/7/2013 11:50:02 AM
They are meaningless in that as soon as I could, I just youtubed the alternate conclusion to every scenario possible, but *my* playthroughs still felt pretty awesome.

........until the ending
#5roo10158Posted 6/7/2013 12:03:11 PM
Conrad verner, the collector base (if you got low ems by the end), whether you saved maelon's data (if you sabotage the genophage), whether Kasumi and Zaeed survived ME2, whether you have Grunt loyal (if Grunt's replacement if he isn't present in ME3 dies no matter what), to a small degree who else survived the SM, to a small degree whether you did BDtS from ME1, whether you did Overlord, etc all matter in the game just they don't change the ending.

Yes, I wish every decision mattered at the ending/final battle for earth, but at least we see results of quite a few choices in earlier points in the game such as what happens with Verner in one of the side missions, whether you see Balak (sure if you don't do BDtS, he is there, but you can have him be dead) in one of the side missions, whether you get the worst Destroy or the worst Control ending, whether Mordin can survive Tuchanka, how the Missions involving Zaeed and Kasumi play out, whether the leader of Arlak Company survives that side mission (I could be wrong, but I don't think Grunt's replacement can survive it if Grunt died in ME2), whether you get unique dialogue in the N7 missions with Me2 squad (and the Archer brothers from Overlord), etc.

Everything eventually becomes a number, but what I'm talking about is before the end (the missions themselves, not the results)
---
Love Mass Effect, but hate how disgusting-ly negative BSN is towards it.
Can't wait for Mass Effect 4, the Playstation 4, and GTA V
#6Rafficus_IIIPosted 6/7/2013 1:01:16 PM
I disagree him. Decisions and choices, be it in life or in this game, are only as valuable as you make them out to be. The meaning is what you choose there to be.

For me: I halted genophage, brought peace to warring enemies, saved several from becoming abominable monstrosities, forged new friends, and became connected with a universe through the choices I made in it. On the flip-side, another may view these choices and impacts as trivial, because people still die and the picture remains messy - just slightly less messy.

In the end, it simply doesn't matter what other universes or other individuals seek to tell you has meaning or what does not. This is your life, this is your game/file save, and this is your perception. You can choose to find meaning and experience the ride, or you can sit back disengaged and watch it pass you by.

It is far better to live, than to have existed. So continue to choose and find meaning.
---
GT: BigRaff87 | http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lp6lrnL8em1qgmo67o1_500.png |The Amazing Spiderman of GameFaqs
#7Charmile(Topic Creator)Posted 6/8/2013 9:24:29 AM
Bump, the results are going about as expected, but they is good discussion about it thus far, keep sharing
---
The problem with restraining speech is, who gets to set the rules? If it's only okay in a certain time or place, who gets to say what time and what place?
#8Rafficus_IIIPosted 6/8/2013 9:28:58 AM
Charmile posted...
Bump, the results are going about as expected, but they is good discussion about it thus far, keep sharing

What are your thoughts on the matter?
---
GT: BigRaff87 | http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lp6lrnL8em1qgmo67o1_500.png |The Amazing Spiderman of GameFaqs
#9Carribean_CoolPosted 6/8/2013 10:27:22 AM
Look at Alpha Protocol. Now look at Mass Effect, which had a higher budget and no doubt a bigger team. Alpha Protocol is a shining example of choices making an actual difference, each effecting the ending and missions, and giving us multiple variations of them. Alpha Protocol is the game that doesn't have your typical A B or C ending, unlike Mass Effect, which was marketed as such, which turned out to be false.
---
Snitsky's Condoms. If she get's pregnant, it's not your fault.
#10Charmile(Topic Creator)Posted 6/8/2013 11:08:10 AM
Rafficus_III posted...
Charmile posted...

What are your thoughts on the matter?

Normally I don't like to get involved with my polls, aside from rulings and discrepancies, in order to prevent bias from occurring, unless it's necessary.

But, It's a mix:

1. I hope developers are capable on learning from the experience in order to differentiate the choices

2. It comes down to the individual player, like you said, to find these choices meaningful, as they were the one who made them

3. It was an ok ride, but it would've been nice if they hadn't tripped on the last stretch
---