Did Bioware really want the ending we got? I never know (spoilers)

#1pcmike2Posted 6/15/2013 4:55:22 PM
I mean, everyone thought they dug themselves in a hole because they promised us our choices would matter and what not. Turned out it was too much for them to do. But I mean, they had to do some effort for the original endings, with animation, voices, graphics, and no game-breaking bugs.

I mean, they say the extended cut is an explanation of their "artistic vision" but think about it from a business standpoint. A bunch of fans demand the ending they were promised, if you don't deliver, you ruin your already hurt reputation and sales of future games will probably go way down. So do you:

A. Make a new ending that has more branching outcomes and fulfills the original promise of unique/different endings.

B. Retconn the old ending to fill plot holes that were pointed out by the fans while having some effort in branching outcomes

B is obviously the cheaper choice. I'm not even sure if A is even possible on the 360 through dlc. So when they say "we want to maintain artistic vision" do they really mean that, or is it because its an easy excuse to hide behind for a more cheaper way out?

Or both?
---
SSBB FC:0946-1920-8546
#2Carribean_CoolPosted 6/15/2013 6:17:49 PM
i don't think they really wanted the game we got either.
---
Snitsky's Condoms. If she get's pregnant, it's not your fault.
#3MurphysGhostPosted 6/15/2013 7:31:52 PM(edited)
I think it's pretty clear they got crunched hard.

I think the spirit of the ending we got was pretty much what they were going for, but the execution was way off because they got crunched and just had to toss it together. I'd say the same thing for a lot of parts of the game.

Edit: And by ending, I mean the whole of Priority Earth -> credit roll. Not just the very end.

---
"The act of treachery is an art, but the traitor himself is a piece of ****." - Mike Tyson
#4DestinPosted 6/15/2013 8:06:19 PM
Carribean_Cool posted...
i don't think they really wanted the game we got either.

this, i'm sure most of the lower level people wanted everything most fans wanted. bigger squad or at least temp squad mates on nearly every stage, larger differences for major choices (no fake Rachni Queen), a Priority Earth that doesn't suck, etc.

but to answer your question it's both, there was obviously a budget but there was no way they were going to make a brand new ending, that's way too shameful for everyone involved. it's not just an excuse to save money.
---
Destin the Valiant
#5ClunyPosted 6/15/2013 8:34:29 PM
The multiple branching ending would've have been ridiculous to pull off, wasn't really expecting it. Plus they wrote themselves into a corner with the "Ancient machines that take an entire Navy to kill one" thing
#6SageOfLifePosted 6/15/2013 8:37:22 PM
Cluny posted...
The multiple branching ending would've have been ridiculous to pull off, wasn't really expecting it. Plus they wrote themselves into a corner with the "Ancient machines that take an entire Navy to kill one" thing

If they couldn't pull it off, they shouldn't have promised it.
---
There's no box! There never was!
#7IokuaPosted 6/15/2013 10:04:43 PM
MurphysGhost posted...
I think it's pretty clear they got crunched hard.

I think the spirit of the ending we got was pretty much what they were going for, but the execution was way off because they got crunched and just had to toss it together. I'd say the same thing for a lot of parts of the game.

Edit: And by ending, I mean the whole of Priority Earth -> credit roll. Not just the very end.

They did not get "crunched" hard, if they couldn't make a quality title in two years, then that's their fault. EA gave them adequate time, as two years is pretty much par for the course for game development. If any "crunch" was involved, it wasn't a time crunch, it was a "We keep changing things because or boss is a ****ing self absorbed moron." crunch.

The ending probably wasn't what the Mass Effect team wanted, but the Mass Effect team is not Casey Hudson and Mac Walters, and they were in charge.
---
Welcome to gamefaqs, where poverty is an illegal activity.
#8MurphysGhostPosted 6/15/2013 10:53:34 PM(edited)
^ That's certainly one possible take on it, though there seems to be a good bit of assumption in it.

I don't work at Bioware, so I have no idea how productive the teams are, how quickly they get things done, etc. Was their schedule fair and they blew it? Was the schedule unrealistic and it shows? I couldn't tell you which. Two years is a typical dev schedule but that doesn't mean every game can be done in 2 years. Ninja Gaiden Black, one of the all-time great action games, is the product of about 4.5-5 years of work. I don't think it could've been made in 2 years.

Either way, the game comes off as half-baked in more than one instance. So through poor scheduling or their own failure, I'd say they wound up gettin' crunched and had to make some compromises. *shrug*
---
"The act of treachery is an art, but the traitor himself is a piece of ****." - Mike Tyson
#9IokuaPosted 6/15/2013 10:30:02 PM
Multiple sources indicate that as of the November the game was supposed to be released in they did not have a finalized ending. Hell, the leaks of the storyline should have told you something was wrong, as they claimed the story was "very different" from what they ended up with, yet it was still in the code notes. That right there is a massive indicator of how ****ed up development of ME3 was. I can understand actual writing to not be finished during development, as dialogue is an ever evolving thing as the game itself is developed, scoped back and so on, but the actual plot of the game should have been finalized before pre-production was finished. By which I mean they should have had the story settled on before they even started making the game. This is clearly not the case, and we got the hackneyed, disjointed pile of crap that we wound up with.
---
Welcome to gamefaqs, where poverty is an illegal activity.
#10XgArrancarPosted 6/15/2013 10:39:16 PM
Well i guess we'll never know, i just find it a little annoying how adamant they are that the people who dislike it are a minority.
---
"Does this rag smell like chloroform to you?"