Did Bioware really want the ending we got? I never know (spoilers)

#51XamufamPosted 6/18/2013 12:50:40 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#52ozzyman314Posted 6/18/2013 1:32:43 PM
edgecrusher02 posted...
this goes with my above post. i realized i forgot to mention this and it wouldnt let me edit my previous post.

i feel i should point out that with destroy, provided shepard does actually live, he/she is the only one to have communicated with the catalyst, and the leviathan for that matter. so everyone in the galaxy wont just suddenly know what led to this since they never met or talked to those responsible. so change happening on its own would rely solely on the words of ONE person being communicated to trillions of lives, and that they believe the story. because thats all it will be to everyone else in the galaxy, a story. considering our history and whats at stake...(this would be where it potentially becomes philosophical)...if you dont mind me asking, what makes those odds worth betting on?

Every choice involves a big risk.

Look at Control for example; What if, over the thousands of years, Cat-Shep becomes convinced that the original catalyst was correct and starts the cycles over again? you really want to risk that?

The Leviathan is still alive, so it can still share its experience and knowledge with the rest of the galaxy without Shepard.
But Granted, yes Shepard would be the only one to convey the Catalyst's warning of the future. But after everything that has happened why would anyone still doubt Shepard?
It's completely ignorant to think that after the Reapers, we would not have learned something.
---
Loading Signature..........
#53edgecrusher02Posted 6/18/2013 2:06:18 PM(edited)
ozzyman314 posted...
edgecrusher02 posted...
this goes with my above post. i realized i forgot to mention this and it wouldnt let me edit my previous post.

i feel i should point out that with destroy, provided shepard does actually live, he/she is the only one to have communicated with the catalyst, and the leviathan for that matter. so everyone in the galaxy wont just suddenly know what led to this since they never met or talked to those responsible. so change happening on its own would rely solely on the words of ONE person being communicated to trillions of lives, and that they believe the story. because thats all it will be to everyone else in the galaxy, a story. considering our history and whats at stake...(this would be where it potentially becomes philosophical)...if you dont mind me asking, what makes those odds worth betting on?

Every choice involves a big risk.

Look at Control for example; What if, over the thousands of years, Cat-Shep becomes convinced that the original catalyst was correct and starts the cycles over again? you really want to risk that?

The Leviathan is still alive, so it can still share its experience and knowledge with the rest of the galaxy without Shepard.
But Granted, yes Shepard would be the only one to convey the Catalyst's warning of the future. But after everything that has happened why would anyone still doubt Shepard?
It's completely ignorant to think that after the Reapers, we would not have learned something.

my choice isnt control, for similar reasons to what you suggest, among other reasons. i prefer synthesis, but not specifically because of what it is. i choose it because it attempts change. i would likely choose the option that attempts to change things regardless of what it was as long as it wasnt something obviously bad/negative.

anyway, well we have to gain knowledge to learn. so again, destroy relies on what shepard and the leviathan communicate to us, if anything. which also depends on if the leviathan want to be found again. based on what they told us, they dont want to. regardless, they rely on enthralling other life forms to meet their needs. which brings me to the other thing i always cant help but think. with no synthetics left, the leviathan could attempt to reclaim their original place in the galaxy. they even say they dont fight for us, but because they were the first apex race. with no synthetics, nothing will be left to fight back against their thralls. this of course depends on how many artifacts there are throughout the galaxy. its definitely something to consider though.

as far as shepard, that situation can be compared to any religious deity. throughout history many came and went and told humanity things that can only be called a story because their word had to be taken. look at how revered they were in their time, and look how things have changed since then in terms of how we pursue the unknown. the more time that goes by, the more people forget. it took less than 300 years for the majority of the quarian race to forget what exactly started their war. the majority of them grew up believing that the geth were some malevolent synthetic race. it doesnt take long for history to get distorted.

that is quite a lot of things to rely on happening in a specific way when it comes to hoping for a good future.
---
religion is flawed because man is flawed. no gods, no kings... only man.
#54NafzgerPosted 6/18/2013 2:33:09 PM
MurphysGhost posted...
Nafzger posted...

So then you pick Control, right?

I wasn't referring to the poster's bias- the Catalyst's.

But of course I pick Destroy. As was previously established, it's the only right choice.

So...it's not inevitable that the cycle will start all over, but it is inevitable that Shepard will become corrupt. Right.
---
XBL:ArsenalofGlory | PSN: Nafzger
http://www.last.fm/user/Rainbow_Smasher
#55MurphysGhostPosted 6/18/2013 2:53:28 PM
^ Uh... what?

You seem to be looking for an argument so I'm just gonna nod and say "OK"...
---
"The act of treachery is an art, but the traitor himself is a piece of ****." - Mike Tyson
#56NafzgerPosted 6/18/2013 3:48:55 PM
Control is the only correct ending.
---
XBL:ArsenalofGlory | PSN: Nafzger
http://www.last.fm/user/Rainbow_Smasher
#57ozzyman314Posted 6/18/2013 3:55:40 PM
Nafzger posted...
Control is the only correct ending.

I think what you mean to say is without Synthesis and Destroy; control is the only ending left.

Destroy will always be the right ending.
---
Loading Signature..........
#58phoenix52Posted 6/18/2013 8:43:36 PM
Nafzger posted...

So...it's not inevitable that the cycle will start all over, but it is inevitable that Shepard will become corrupt. Right.

None of the AI's that have been made in this cycle have been anywhere near as advanced or as devastating as the Reapers are. Destroy leaves the possibility of organics creating synthetics like the Geth or EDI again. Control leaves the possibility of an already assembled fleet of nigh-unkillable starships subjugating the races of the galaxy.

Anything that might be made after destroy is far more likely to be able to be destroyed conventionally than the Reapers would be if they were to go crazy.
---
Its like having a knitting contest between the best regular old lady knitter in the world and a guy who's superpower is specifically to be the best knitter ever
#59MurphysGhostPosted 6/19/2013 7:18:02 AM
ozzyman314 posted...

I think what you mean to say is without Synthesis and Destroy; control is the only ending left.

Destroy will always be the right ending.

:)
---
"The act of treachery is an art, but the traitor himself is a piece of ****." - Mike Tyson
#60lightningS9Posted 6/19/2013 9:31:11 AM
edgecrusher02 posted...
my choice isnt control, for similar reasons to what you suggest, among other reasons. i prefer synthesis, but not specifically because of what it is. i choose it because it attempts change. i would likely choose the option that attempts to change things regardless of what it was as long as it wasnt something obviously bad/negative.

anyway, well we have to gain knowledge to learn. so again, destroy relies on what shepard and the leviathan communicate to us, if anything. which also depends on if the leviathan want to be found again. based on what they told us, they dont want to. regardless, they rely on enthralling other life forms to meet their needs. which brings me to the other thing i always cant help but think. with no synthetics left, the leviathan could attempt to reclaim their original place in the galaxy. they even say they dont fight for us, but because they were the first apex race. with no synthetics, nothing will be left to fight back against their thralls. this of course depends on how many artifacts there are throughout the galaxy. its definitely something to consider though.

as far as shepard, that situation can be compared to any religious deity. throughout history many came and went and told humanity things that can only be called a story because their word had to be taken. look at how revered they were in their time, and look how things have changed since then in terms of how we pursue the unknown. the more time that goes by, the more people forget. it took less than 300 years for the majority of the quarian race to forget what exactly started their war. the majority of them grew up believing that the geth were some malevolent synthetic race. it doesnt take long for history to get distorted.

that is quite a lot of things to rely on happening in a specific way when it comes to hoping for a good future.

I would agree that history could become distorted eventually but you have to factor in the asari and krogan into the equation now. Both of those races have 1000 year old life spans, more than enough time to engrain the new laws and ideals to be engrained into the cultures of every other race. the only people we really have to worry about are groups similar to Cerberus living in the Terminus Systems screwing things up but that is always a risk, and with Liara as the Shadow Broker it's doubtful any of the Terminus asari who aren't involved with the group would ever let those guys live. Imagine if Aria heared about some terminus group trying to make a new synthetic who could potentially threaten Omega.