Question about the ending (spoilers)

#1SAMCROftwPosted 7/28/2013 12:41:56 PM
If Shepard freed the Geth from the Reapers, then why if you destroy the Reapers, you destroy the Geth too?

When Hackett says everything can be rebuilt in time, does that include EDI and the Geth? I mean... it IS the distant future soooooooo...
---
Xbox fan since 2003. Tired of Microsoft's bull. LOLXbone.
Mass Effect TaliShep.... still a better love story than Twilight.
#2bloodgod92Posted 7/28/2013 12:47:39 PM(edited)
EDI and the Geth* became full AIs with individual personalities. They cannot be rebuilt as they were during the events that happened after Rannoch. The Geth can be rebuilt to the state they were in before they gained individuality though, but this risks another war when they ask if they have a soul, because organics may not have learned from their mistake.

*EDIT*
* Typed Reapers instead of Geth.
---
Gamer Tag - Aldora92 - bloodgod91
Currently Playing - Mass Effect 3 - Skyrim
#3fennell92Posted 7/28/2013 12:48:38 PM
SAMCROftw posted...
If Shepard freed the Geth from the Reapers, then why if you destroy the Reapers, you destroy the Geth too?

It is assumed that because the geth uploaded themselves with reaper code and EDI was built partially based on reaper tech that they are targeted by whatever destroy does.

When Hackett says everything can be rebuilt in time, does that include EDI and the Geth? I mean... it IS the distant future soooooooo...

LOTS OF SPECULATION FOR EVERYONE!!!!!
#4CharmilePosted 7/28/2013 12:49:30 PM(edited)
1. Because choices need consequences and such an ending where you saved everyone would be childish(/sarcasm) I don't mind bittersweet endings, but their cycle is getting old IMO

In-game, its because they have part of the Reaper Code in them, which the pulse destroys

2. In theory it could, but due to "consequences" they will never be able to reproduce the same personalities, also theory
---
The problem with restraining speech is, who gets to set the rules? If it's only okay in a certain time or place, who gets to say what time and what place?
#5ozzyman314Posted 7/28/2013 12:51:50 PM
Geth & EDI are dead...forever.

Personally, I always destroy the Geth beforehand(on Rannoch) Because I think they deserve it. But I digress.

When the alternatives are;

Becoming Reper god imposing your will on the galaxy(and eventually restarting the cycles)

Forcibly rewriting the genetic code of every being in the galaxy

Do nothing and let the next cycle deal with it.

With those options; I'm more than willing to sacrifice EDI(and the Geth).

But that doesn't mean new AIs can't be created and(learning from the mistakes of the past) live in peace with them.
---
Loading Signature..........
#6SAMCROftw(Topic Creator)Posted 7/28/2013 12:53:39 PM
ozzyman314 posted...
Geth & EDI are dead...forever.

Personally, I always destroy the Geth beforehand(on Rannoch) Because I think they deserve it. But I digress.

When the alternatives are;

Becoming Reper god imposing your will on the galaxy(and eventually restarting the cycles)

Forcibly rewriting the genetic code of every being in the galaxy

Do nothing and let the next cycle deal with it.

With those options; I'm more than willing to sacrifice EDI(and the Geth).

But that doesn't mean new AIs can't be created and(learning from the mistakes of the past) live in peace with them.

I'm actually with you there. Past events have proven Synthesis and Control don't work (like with the Illusive Man)

Destroy to me is the more logical ending.

Plus... Shep lives :)
---
Xbox fan since 2003. Tired of Microsoft's bull. LOLXbone.
Mass Effect TaliShep.... still a better love story than Twilight.
#7WatermelonFartsPosted 7/28/2013 12:55:03 PM
what are the past events when you talk about synthesis

if you say what i think you are going to say...
---
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGyEd0aKWZE
#8fennell92Posted 7/28/2013 12:56:50 PM
WatermelonFarts posted...
if you say what i think you are going to say...

DUUUUUHH. Saren wanted synthesis.

Which gaem have you been palying?
#9bloodgod92Posted 7/28/2013 12:57:17 PM
Charmile posted...

In-game, its because they have part of the Reaper Code in them, which the pulse destroys

2. In theory it could, but due to "consequences" they will never be able to reproduce the same personalities, also theory

First point: Almost all technology comes from the study of reaper built devices (whether through Protean Beacons or not) so saying that it destroys everything Reaper would mean that every Toaster, Microwave, Kettle, Automatic Toilet Flushing machine, Mass Effect field precision toothbrush, biotic implant, FTL drive core and life support systems should fail/explode. I think the safest bet is to assume that it only destroys synthetic life forms, not things derived from Reaper technology.

Second point: It is not Theory that the personalities would be different, it has already been established that two individuals who are built from the same specifications are going to have two different personalities. EDI and the Geth became individuals which means they cannot be replicated exactly. This point is proven in the Citadel DLC.
---
Gamer Tag - Aldora92 - bloodgod91
Currently Playing - Mass Effect 3 - Skyrim
#10fennell92Posted 7/28/2013 12:59:49 PM
bloodgod92 posted...
Charmile posted...

First point: Almost all technology comes from the study of reaper built devices (whether through Protean Beacons or not) so saying that it destroys everything Reaper would mean that every Toaster, Microwave, Kettle, Automatic Toilet Flushing machine, Mass Effect field precision toothbrush, biotic implant, FTL drive core and life support systems should fail/explode. I think the safest bet is to assume that it only destroys synthetic life forms, not things derived from Reaper technology.

Those devices are based on tech left behind by, but don't have reaper code running through them. They are not "alive".