Question about the ending (spoilers)

#11bloodgod92Posted 7/28/2013 1:01:14 PM
WatermelonFarts posted...
what are the past events when you talk about synthesis

if you say what i think you are going to say...

Well, unlike everybody else, I do not claim that Saren was "Pro-Synthesis" as I cannot actually remember much about the first game, however, my argument against it is that Synthesis seems to be suspiciously similar to the Reapers preservation of the life forms from previous cycles, and we all know that those affected by the Reapers upgrades were indoctrinated and mindless. Not only this, but the whole Krogan/Yahg situations with the Salarians has been a strong indication that forcing "evolution"(which would technically not be evolution) can only end badly.
---
Gamer Tag - Aldora92 - bloodgod91
Currently Playing - Mass Effect 3 - Skyrim
#12bloodgod92Posted 7/28/2013 1:03:51 PM
fennell92 posted...
bloodgod92 posted...
Charmile posted...

In-game, its because they have part of the Reaper Code in them, which the pulse destroys

2. In theory it could, but due to "consequences" they will never be able to reproduce the same personalities, also theory

First point: Almost all technology comes from the study of reaper built devices (whether through Protean Beacons or not) so saying that it destroys everything Reaper would mean that every Toaster, Microwave, Kettle, Automatic Toilet Flushing machine, Mass Effect field precision toothbrush, biotic implant, FTL drive core and life support systems should fail/explode. I think the safest bet is to assume that it only destroys synthetic life forms, not things derived from Reaper technology.

Those devices are based on tech left behind by, but don't have reaper code running through them. They are not "alive".

And neither were the Cybernetic implants holding shepard together, but the Catalyst tells us that because Shepard was reconstructed with the Cybernetics, he would perish with the Geth and Reapers. Hence, everything that is based on Reaper Tech (almost all technology throughout the Galaxy) will be destroyed.
---
#13fennell92Posted 7/28/2013 1:09:12 PM
bloodgod92 posted...
fennell92 posted...
bloodgod92 posted...
Charmile posted...

In-game, its because they have part of the Reaper Code in them, which the pulse destroys

2. In theory it could, but due to "consequences" they will never be able to reproduce the same personalities, also theory

First point: Almost all technology comes from the study of reaper built devices (whether through Protean Beacons or not) so saying that it destroys everything Reaper would mean that every Toaster, Microwave, Kettle, Automatic Toilet Flushing machine, Mass Effect field precision toothbrush, biotic implant, FTL drive core and life support systems should fail/explode. I think the safest bet is to assume that it only destroys synthetic life forms, not things derived from Reaper technology.

Those devices are based on tech left behind by, but don't have reaper code running through them. They are not "alive".

And neither were the Cybernetic implants holding shepard together, but the Catalyst tells us that because Shepard was reconstructed with the Cybernetics, he would perish with the Geth and Reapers. Hence, everything that is based on Reaper Tech (almost all technology throughout the Galaxy) will be destroyed.

...Except Shepard doesn't die (with high enough EMS). The only reason the Catalyst said Shepard would die was because it counted on Shepard being stupid enough to walk right towards an exploding thingamajig.
#14bloodgod92Posted 7/28/2013 1:15:35 PM
fennell92 posted...
...Except Shepard doesn't die (with high enough EMS). The only reason the Catalyst said Shepard would die was because it counted on Shepard being stupid enough to walk right towards an exploding thingamajig.

If the Catalyst wanted to deceive Shepard into making another choice (not destroy) he could have left that option out, or sent him to another color making him believe that it was Destroy. Your argument is wrong, you would have to be stupid to think Shepard would not sacrifice himself to save every life in the Galaxy, and while the Idea of the catalyst is stupid, it, itself, is not an unintelligent being.
---
#15fennell92Posted 7/28/2013 1:21:59 PM
bloodgod92 posted...
fennell92 posted...

If the Catalyst wanted to deceive Shepard into making another choice (not destroy) he could have left that option out, or sent him to another color making him believe that it was Destroy. Your argument is wrong, you would have to be stupid to think Shepard would not sacrifice himself to save every life in the Galaxy, and while the Idea of the catalyst is stupid, it, itself, is not an unintelligent being.

Shepard still doesn't die. And me being stupid has nothing to do with Shepard walking right into an exploding thingamjig for no reason whatsoever when he/she could have just stood from a safer distance while the thing blew up.

Also targeting synthetic life means it would target all the VIs across the galaxy, since the geth are just tons and tons of VIs that linked together enough to gain intelligence. That would essentially cripple galactic society.
#16fennell92Posted 7/28/2013 1:30:20 PM
By the way, the real answer is that the Hudson and Walters needed a reason to make players consider control and synthesis.
#17bloodgod92Posted 7/28/2013 1:31:07 PM
fennell92 posted...
bloodgod92 posted...
fennell92 posted...

Shepard still doesn't die. And me being stupid has nothing to do with Shepard walking right into an exploding thingamjig for no reason whatsoever when he/she could have just stood from a safer distance while the thing blew up.

Also targeting synthetic life means it would target all the VIs across the galaxy, since the geth are just tons and tons of VIs that linked together enough to gain intelligence. That would essentially cripple galactic society.

I did not call you stupid. I was saying it is a stupid thought to think Shepard would not sacrifice himself for the Galaxy, as in, the Catalyst would be stupid to think saying he would die would deviate him from his plan to destroy the Reapers, and the Catalyst is not stupid.

IF Shepard lives, that means the Catalyst was wrong. This also means there is a chance that the Reapers/Geth/EDI were not completely destroyed. Or, the EMS was high enough that the Crucible was specific enough in its targetting to only destroy the Reapers and the Mass Relays, the Geth and EDI may not have been affected at all.
---
#18fennell92Posted 7/28/2013 1:34:38 PM
bloodgod92 posted...
fennell92 posted...
bloodgod92 posted...
fennell92 posted...

I did not call you stupid. I was saying it is a stupid thought to think Shepard would not sacrifice himself for the Galaxy, as in, the Catalyst would be stupid to think saying he would die would deviate him from his plan to destroy the Reapers, and the Catalyst is not stupid.

IF Shepard lives, that means the Catalyst was wrong. This also means there is a chance that the Reapers/Geth/EDI were not completely destroyed. Or, the EMS was high enough that the Crucible was specific enough in its targetting to only destroy the Reapers and the Mass Relays, the Geth and EDI may not have been affected at all.

Sarcasm.