Do certain modifications stack?

#1drumble89Posted 7/30/2013 3:28:53 AM
For example:

Piercing Mod = 40% reduced damage + ignores 65% armour defense
+
High-Velocity Barrel = 40% reduced damage + ignores 90% armour defense.

I'm guessing no, but I thought I'd check.
---
Shut up! You don't know nothin'.........'bout anythin' :3
GT: diabolus89
#2NefhithPosted 7/30/2013 3:46:47 AM
Yes, they do. But I think there's a 80% limit of armor ignoring or something like that.

It's crazier with the Javelin and wall piercing.
---
Hold A, let it go and press it again.
#3rfr6073Posted 7/30/2013 4:39:57 AM
The mods have 3 properties, armor damage reduction ignored, penetration through objects and damage reduction after penetrating objects.

Armor reduction means that for every projectile fired at an armored opponent has a flat value subtracted from its damage. The value depends on the difficulty, it is 50 damage on gold. Armor damage reduction ignored reduces this value, it stacks but maxes out at 100% in which case no damage is subtracted.

Penetration means the distance a projectile can go through objects and walls to hit targets on the other side. Weapons, weapon mods and ammo can have this property and they stack indefinitely.

Damage reduction after penetrating objects means that when a projectile manages to fully penetrate an object or wall and come out on the other side it will hit with reduced damage. This does not stack and the lowest reduction % is valid here. Please note that weapons with innate piercing have no damage reduction, they will always hit for full damage.
---
GT: Pharsalus48
#4NefhithPosted 7/30/2013 4:56:10 AM
rfr6073 posted...
Please note that weapons with innate piercing have no damage reduction, they will always hit for full damage.

So, if I put something that reduces damage after piercing to the javelin, does it reduce it's damage, or is only applied after penetrating the natural weapon's penetration and having to use the mod's penetration value?
---
#5rfr6073Posted 7/30/2013 5:05:43 AM
Nefhith posted...
rfr6073 posted...
Please note that weapons with innate piercing have no damage reduction, they will always hit for full damage.

So, if I put something that reduces damage after piercing to the javelin, does it reduce it's damage, or is only applied after penetrating the natural weapon's penetration and having to use the mod's penetration value?

Javelin bullets hit for full damage after successfully penetrating the object, the modification from the weapon mod seems to be ignored. For Javelin and Black Widow only the stacking penetration distance is useful, the piercing damage reduction is 0% anyway and the armor damage reduction is insignificant compared to the high damage value for its projectiles.
---
#6NefhithPosted 7/30/2013 5:10:51 AM
rfr6073 posted...
Nefhith posted...
rfr6073 posted...

Javelin bullets hit for full damage after successfully penetrating the object, the modification from the weapon mod seems to be ignored. For Javelin and Black Widow only the stacking penetration distance is useful, the piercing damage reduction is 0% anyway and the armor damage reduction is insignificant compared to the high damage value for its projectiles.

So, it's better to just focus on the damage itself or ammo rather than armor damage reduction ignoring. That's really interesting.
---
#7rfr6073Posted 7/30/2013 5:23:52 AM(edited)
Nefhith posted...
rfr6073 posted...
Nefhith posted...
rfr6073 posted...

So, it's better to just focus on the damage itself or ammo rather than armor damage reduction ignoring. That's really interesting.

Damage wise, for high powered weapons yes, for SMGs and the like no. My Hurricane does not leave home without a HVB and if you want to shoot through walls they are still useful. You can take potshots at spawns through walls as it is hard not to hit the Atlas, Brute or Space crab even though you can't see them yet. Also, you need some form of penetration as you will do no damage at all should you hit any cover or a guardian shield.
---
#8code_kirinPosted 7/30/2013 9:08:03 AM
Nefhith posted...
Yes, they do. But I think there's a 80% limit of armor ignoring or something like that.

The limit is 100%.

Hurricane is better off with AP ammo instead of HVB. Even APIII is better. The fact that HVB keeps you from using a better mod like extended barrel or magazine limits its usefulness.

In general, I wouldn't stack penetration mods. The Black Widow is the only gun I'd consider it on, but even then I'd rather have a thermal scope. There's always a better mod to use. If it's a shotgun,or sniper rifle, go HVB. If it's an AR, go piercing mod (or AP ammo).
#9bloodgod92Posted 7/30/2013 9:19:44 AM
code_kirin posted...
Nefhith posted...

The limit is 100%.

Hurricane is better off with AP ammo instead of HVB. Even APIII is better. The fact that HVB keeps you from using a better mod like extended barrel or magazine limits its usefulness.

In general, I wouldn't stack penetration mods. The Black Widow is the only gun I'd consider it on, but even then I'd rather have a thermal scope. There's always a better mod to use. If it's a shotgun,or sniper rifle, go HVB. If it's an AR, go piercing mod (or AP ammo).

HVB, Piercing Mod and Drill rounds on the BW means you can shoot at the ground and your bullet will kill a guy in China. Shoot all 3 and you have 3 dead Asians.
---
Gamer Tag - Aldora92 - bloodgod91
Currently Playing - Mass Effect 3 - Skyrim
#10NefhithPosted 7/30/2013 9:35:19 AM
bloodgod92 posted...
HVB, Piercing Mod and Drill rounds on the BW means you can shoot at the ground and your bullet will kill a guy in China. Shoot all 3 and you have 3 dead Asians.

My sides are on another universe, lol.
---