Aside from the ending, War Assets has to be the worst idea Bioware thought up.

#1Chr0noidPosted 7/30/2013 5:44:49 PM
....For Mass Effect 3.

Instead of letting the player beat the game using a variety of choices and decisions, (thus, increasing its replay value so we can view different outcomes or role playing styles) there is only an incentive to just pick the choices that maximize war assets and effective military strength. Case in point: Alpha Protocol. This game may have had less production value, more bugs and less polish, it was a VASTLY superior game in terms of action role playing due to one reason and one reason only. Your choices had actual consequences and determined which events play out. But here's the kicker! If you decided to say, let Character A die in Alpha Protocol you weren't prevented from getting the best ending or even a good ending period!

Bioware didn't seem to get this when designing Mass Effect 3. Apart from the choices hardly mattering anyway (that's a whole other story) there is zero point in playing this game choosing anything but the outcomes that net you the best ending (unless of course you like dooming the entire galaxy). Choices that don't overtly punish the player is what Bioware completely missed here.

I feel as if this is one of, if not the biggest tragedies of gaming this generation. Mass Effect 3 has a crap ton of production value, a big reputation to its series' name, celebrity voice actors, interesting characters but the role playing aspect is completely missing! The fact that Alpha Protocol isn't getting a sequel and Mass Effect 3 is, is testament to how a lot of people are infatuated with production value and polish but ignore the parts that MATTER. You can bash Alpha Protocol's ho-hum, wonky gameplay, but at the end of the day, Alpha Protocol surpassed all three Mass Effects in terms of choices having an impact. This is undeniable fact. But reviewers gave it mediocre scores while high profile gaming sites and magazines gave Mass Effect 3 10/10s across the board. What a crying shame.

tl;dr: War Assets sealed this game's fate despite the ending.
---
The original ending is like getting shot in the neck. The extended cut is like getting shot in the waist.-fennell92 on Mass Effect 3
#2WatermelonFartsPosted 7/30/2013 5:47:32 PM
this is a board for a multiplayer game, wtf are you talking about
---
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGyEd0aKWZE
#3Chr0noid(Topic Creator)Posted 7/30/2013 5:49:35 PM
WatermelonFarts posted...
this is a board for a multiplayer game, wtf are you talking about

har har har
---
The original ending is like getting shot in the neck. The extended cut is like getting shot in the waist.-fennell92 on Mass Effect 3
#4CorvusXIXPosted 7/30/2013 6:01:00 PM
In theory, the war assets were a good idea, but how they were implemented in the game game could have been better. Also, not all games are alike, mass effect is not alpha protocol.
---
GT: RavenGuard19
#5CrusnikCainPosted 7/30/2013 6:02:53 PM
one play through of alpha protocol was more than enough
---
Gamer Tag : CrusnikCain
#6MCAlCaPwnPosted 7/30/2013 6:04:20 PM
They would have been fine if we could actually see the war assets in action.
#7Chr0noid(Topic Creator)Posted 7/30/2013 6:13:10 PM
CorvusXIX posted...
In theory, the war assets were a good idea, but how they were implemented in the game game could have been better. Also, not all games are alike, mass effect is not alpha protocol.

True, but then why bother giving the player dialogue options? Why even bother calling it an action RPG?
---
#8CorvusXIXPosted 7/30/2013 6:24:58 PM
Who knows? The whole game seemed like a cluster ****.
---
GT: RavenGuard19
#98bitPunkPosted 7/30/2013 6:25:42 PM
MCAlCaPwn posted...
They would have been fine if we could actually see the war assets in action.

For reals. I wanted some Rachni Soldiers to back me up on earth during that pitiful excuse for a "final battle".
---
Xbox 360 GT: o 8bitPunk o
Need a new Emoticon? Why not Zoidberg? (V) (;,,;) (V)
#10TimeShinigamiPosted 7/30/2013 6:25:49 PM
I concur, to a certain extent. I'm more mad about how the renegade/paragon stuff didn't matter. I feel like going paragon should've punished you, especially as the game talks numorous times about the "cold math of war". Readers of World War Z know what I mean.

Also, I feel the complete abandonment of previous titles squadmates was a bigger fault. What exactly was my reward for protecting my crew? Oh, more war assets :(
---
Not changing this sig until the Detroit Lions win the Super Bowl.
GT- ShinigamiOfTime