N7 Slayer question

#1hawkeyeguy45Posted 8/13/2013 11:58:35 PM
is it alright to skip biotic slash and just charge > phase > phase > charge? does that even work like a nova guard?
---
"You all need people like me so you can point your fingers and say that's the bad guy."
#2GoldenSWarriorsPosted 8/14/2013 12:04:13 AM
yes, it's alright. I put only 3 points into slash and rarely ever use it
---
GT: F3rocious Panda
http://i.minus.com/iyd6J984Oz8cy.gif
#3hawkeyeguy45(Topic Creator)Posted 8/14/2013 12:09:48 AM
yeah i have it maxed atm and i rarely use it myself.
---
"You all need people like me so you can point your fingers and say that's the bad guy."
#4Havoc49JPosted 8/14/2013 1:01:41 AM(edited)
It's good for detonating biotic explosions and when your waiting for your health/shield gate to recharge. I used to skip it, but your just bouncing off your health/shield gates anyways. I skip fitness.

Edit-
Also, the best rotation is,

Charge > Talon > PD(tech burst) > Talon > PD(tech burst)

Obviously, you need a talon with disruptor rounds.
#5hawkeyeguy45(Topic Creator)Posted 8/14/2013 1:08:21 AM
yeah is there a defense buff while doing nova? it seems like survivability is higher with nova guard
---
#6GoldenSWarriorsPosted 8/14/2013 1:10:14 AM(edited)
Havoc49J posted...
It's good for detonating biotic explosions and when your waiting for your health/shield gate to recharge. I used to skip it, but your just bouncing off your health/shield gates anyways. I skip fitness.

Edit-
Also, the best rotation is,

Charge > Talon > PD(tech burst) > Talon > PD(tech burst)

Obviously, you need a talon with disruptor rounds.

or u can use the acolyte since you can charge it while using phase disruptor

also incendiary rounds work well
---
#7GoldenSWarriorsPosted 8/14/2013 1:11:55 AM
hawkeyeguy45 posted...
yeah is there a defense buff while doing nova? it seems like survivability is higher with nova guard

you don't have to be as close with phase disruptor. PD also doesn't take down all your shields at once, and I'm pretty sure it does more damage.

but yeah I guess novaguard can survive better
---
#8Havoc49JPosted 8/14/2013 1:22:43 AM
hawkeyeguy45 posted...

It gives I-Frames.

Copy and pasted from my out of date vanguard guide.

Nova Canceling:

What: Nova provides invincibility frames which allow you to complete its animation unmolested by enemy actions. Like many abilities in ME3, this animation can be interrupted. Interrupting the animation allows you to gain these invincibility frames without losing your shields. Thus, allowing it to be used again in quick succession providing invulnerability from damage.

How:
The Nova animation begins with a small jump preformed by your character. During the upward rise of this animation either preform a roll or light melee to cancel the animation and gain the invincibility frames without a loss of shields. The light melee is the better option if your intention is to follow up with another Nova cancel. I prefer the roll canceling if my intention is to follow it up with Charge.

When:
Hack objectives- If no one on my team is using snipers I may stand in the open and Nova cancel to draw fire off my teammates while waiting for enemies to close within the hack circle. Judge whether or not your more useful to your team drawing fire or putting rounds down range and act accordingly

Carry objectives- Human vanguards are excellent carriers. Heres a brief video showing this and Nova canceling. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pm252bp-jVA

General Situations- There will be situations where you will not have enough invincibility frames to last until your next Charge, especially if your using the half blast build or havenít built up your Nova stacking yet. Use a roll Nova cancel to buy an extra second of invincibility to fill the gap.

There are also situations in which Charging simply isnít an option. Itís important to realize this before you use Nova or otherwise lose your shields. Without them, you lose the ability to Nova cancel and will likely be spending the next 10 seconds waiting for that Praetorian to get off your corpse. Eventually youíll be subconsciously Nova canceling banshee warps or grenade clusters when thereís a Praetorian nearby preventing you from charging.
#9DEV1ANTGAMERPosted 8/14/2013 2:29:22 AM(edited)
Kind of a weird build, but I find the shield/barrier frying Phase Disruptor deals with mooks really well, even phantoms. It almost always softens up infantry enough for a single charge to score some multikills.

The real problem is that this leaves you with some serious disadvantages in dealing with armor. A Hurricane with the piercing barrel and power amplifier mod is... OK'ish. Most armored enemies (except Dragoons and pyros) are large so the recoil doesn't hurt THAT bad... but meh... you're still not gonna be able to compete with classes rocking the harrier, particle rifle, AT12 Raider ect.. Even classes setting off power combos all the time are gonna outdamage you, and Brutes become a bit of a problem against the Reapers. Piranha with AP ammo may be a better choice, although both guns have pretty similar DPS.
...Then again, despite Phase Disruptors huge damage against armor on paper, it does kinda suck against bosses. It's fire rate is alot slower than you think it is when you're relying on it as a primary damage source. Not much better than the Hurricane or Piranha which achieve 1,000 DPS, when you consider that PD has about 2 seconds in between blasts. The armor-melting version of PD does deal with dragoon/bomber/pyro swarms well... but overall I find myself scoring higher with the shield-frying one, as it makes a much faster and more accurate shield-stripper than the Acolyte, and has a larger radius.

Build: http://kalence.drupalgardens.com/me3-builder#67!4847565!!33654363!GA.EGG
Replace Piercing Barrel with High Calibre Barrel if you wana use Armor Piercing rounds. I prefer Incindiery simply because being able to set off fire explosions helps deal with larger targets like Brutes who feel sorta bulky against the tiny little hurricane, despite it's 1000+ DPS.If you wana use a shotgun like the piranha, then armor piercing MAY be a bit more effective. In that case just bring along an SMG with ultralights and a power amp as a weightless secondary weapon, you won't even have to fire it while you're dealing with mooks.

Biotic Slash is useless. You can set off Biosplosions with your charge and tech combos with Phase Disruptor. Given Biotic Slash's high cooldown and execution animation, it really looses it's kick on Gold and is near useless on Platinum. Instead focus on firing phase disruptor, charging everyone caught in the blast to send them flying (likely to their deaths) and repeat. Distance and good use of cover should make PD safer to use than Nova on the normal vanguard. Do NOT charge enemies and THEN phase disruptor, as your charge will burn out most of their shield (diminishing the usefulness of PD's shield damage) and drain your shields while you're in the vulnerable state of Charge's cool down. If something somehow survives your charge, literally like 2 or 3 bullets from the hurricane should be enough to finish them, don't waste PD on such an easy job unless you have multiple targets to hit.
#10Havoc49JPosted 8/14/2013 4:59:30 AM
DEV1ANTGAMER posted...
Kind of a weird build, but I find the shield/barrier frying Phase Disruptor deals with mooks really well, even phantoms. It almost always softens up infantry enough for a single charge to score some multikills.

The real problem is that this leaves you with some serious disadvantages in dealing with armor. A Hurricane with the piercing barrel and power amplifier mod is... OK'ish. Most armored enemies (except Dragoons and pyros) are large so the recoil doesn't hurt THAT bad... but meh... you're still not gonna be able to compete with classes rocking the harrier, particle rifle, AT12 Raider ect.. Even classes setting off power combos all the time are gonna outdamage you, and Brutes become a bit of a problem against the Reapers. Piranha with AP ammo may be a better choice, although both guns have pretty similar DPS.
...Then again, despite Phase Disruptors huge damage against armor on paper, it does kinda suck against bosses. It's fire rate is alot slower than you think it is when you're relying on it as a primary damage source. Not much better than the Hurricane or Piranha which achieve 1,000 DPS, when you consider that PD has about 2 seconds in between blasts.

You should always host as the Slayer. Even off host 2 seconds is a huge exageration. I can get off 3 Talon > PD combos in the 3.06 charge cooldown. You should also be suplimenting your PD damage with weapon damage and tech combos. A tech burst does 767.81/1536 damage and you can have every single PD detonate one without slowing down PD at all. That's not even considering the substantial damage from your 4 Talon shots.

Biotic Slash is useless. You can set off Biosplosions with your charge and tech combos with Phase Disruptor.

A Charge detonated biotic explosion does 549/1097 less damage than one detonated by Biotic slash. Biotic Slash can also detonate two explosions with a single use.

Given Biotic Slash's high cooldown and execution animation, it really looses it's kick on Gold and is near useless on Platinum. Instead focus on firing phase disruptor, charging everyone caught in the blast to send them flying (likely to their deaths) and repeat. Distance and good use of cover should make PD safer to use than Nova on the normal vanguard. Do NOT charge enemies and THEN phase disruptor, as your charge will burn out most of their shield (diminishing the usefulness of PD's shield damage) and drain your shields while you're in the vulnerable state of Charge's cool down. If something somehow survives your charge, literally like 2 or 3 bullets from the hurricane should be enough to finish them, don't waste PD on such an easy job unless you have multiple targets to hit.

Your suvivability is much lower when you don't use PD after charge. The stagger provided by PD is your best defense against enemy fire. On anything above silver you won't be able to last 3 seconds in an enemies face while you fire away at it.

Both charge and PD have a 3 target cap. So even if your fighting nothing but the very few enemies weak enough to die from this combo, your still going to get massacred by the other 6 enemies in the room or the other 50% of enemies that have armor.

I'm sorry for ripping into your post, but I disagree very strongly with every thing you posted.