The Locust isn't that bad

#1XxproknifaxXPosted 9/4/2013 1:57:01 AM
I've heard a lot of hate for this particular SMG. The main things I hear are that it has crappy damage and that it's 'low tier'.

Don't get me wrong, it's not a 'godly' SMG like the Hurricane or the Collector SMG, but it's decent.

For damage, I always thought this gun was meant to be a backup weapon on a weapon-reliant class such as the Destroyer. This mitigates the damage problem whilst having a reliable secondary.

Also It has a decent clip size, ridiculous accuracy and it is relatively easy to max out.

Thoughts?
#2WolfFangHowellPosted 9/4/2013 3:02:49 AM
XxproknifaxX posted...
For damage, I always thought this gun was meant to be a backup weapon on a weapon-reliant class such as the Destroyer. This mitigates the damage problem whilst having a reliable secondary.

Thoughts?

The problems with that are

1. The damage problem is still there, even on gun nuts like the Destroyer or the Turian Soldier.

2. The idea of a lightweight "backup" weapon on a weapons class isnt thought through. Why use that as a backup for the Particle Rifle when I could use a Pirahna or Carnifex or something that fills a different role than "same but crappier"?

I say all of this as someone madly in love with this gun, using it for 200% on a bajillion of my characters (til the Acolyte reared its ugly head).
---
"Needless to say that drumset looked worse than Emmit Till during his funeral viewing." ---Brock HCTP
#3Havoc49JPosted 9/4/2013 3:42:35 AM
To be blunt, the locust is terrible. I agree with Wolf's points, the idea of using as a secondary isn't valid on weapon classes and on castors you generally desire an anti-armor or shield striping weapon, both functions the Locust is very poor at.

The base damage of the locust is simply to low to capitalize on its accuracy or headshot modifier.

The Hurricane, CSMG, Bloodpack SMG, Tempest, and Hornet all out perform the Locust.
#4sheepman23Posted 9/4/2013 3:45:02 AM
You know when the Locust was good? In ME2. It was the primary weapon for my Adept.

In ME3, it absolutely sucks. Every other SMG, save for Shuriken, outclasses it.
---
GT - Sheepman2342
#5FTLulzPosted 9/4/2013 4:23:49 AM
sheepman23 posted...
You know when the Locust was good? In ME2. It was the primary weapon for my Adept.

In ME3, it absolutely sucks. Every other SMG, save for Shuriken, outclasses it.

The Locust in ME2 was almost Hurricane level as far as rankings go =P
#6DuneManPosted 9/4/2013 6:44:46 AM
Eh, its passable on Silver or lower on classes that rely mostly on power damage. But you can't really rely on the headshot damage bonus, unless you slap it on a class with an accuracy and rate of fire boost. Even then, there will be obviously better options.
---
"I'd rather betray the world than let the world betray me." -Cao Cao
#7meltor13Posted 9/4/2013 7:35:29 AM
It's solid on Silver/Bronze if you can rack up the headshots, even on a power-reliant class.

As with many of the lower-tiered guns, it loses efficiency on Gold and above.
---
Mario Kart 64 Main: Bowser
GT: MELTOR13
#8MurphysGhostPosted 9/4/2013 7:49:59 AM
If you want a gun that's a nice, accurate headshot machine and can perform well on Gold, I'd recommend the Geth Pulse Rifle with a Targeting VI instead of an Assault Rifle amp.

I've started working through my stash of 100 Targeting VI III's using the GPR on the Geth Engineer with full weapon damage / headshot bonus in the passive and it's really pretty decent- putting a stream of headshots on a boss (or any enemy) allows this weapon to do more damage than you'd think, and with Hunter Mode the thing's laser-beam accurate.
---
"The act of treachery is an art, but the traitor himself is a piece of ****." - Mike Tyson
#9CaelestinePosted 9/4/2013 8:53:34 AM
Havoc49J posted...
To be blunt, the locust is terrible. I agree with Wolf's points, the idea of using as a secondary isn't valid on weapon classes and on castors you generally desire an anti-armor or shield striping weapon, both functions the Locust is very poor at.

The base damage of the locust is simply to low to capitalize on its accuracy or headshot modifier.

The Hurricane, CSMG, Bloodpack SMG, Tempest, and Hornet all out perform the Locust.

Very much agree with this and I think some of the previous poster has touch on ME3 slightly flawed design for someone to have a secondary weapons. It's almost like what one of the Citadel DLC NPC says about the veterans only use one weapon.

Casters probably do better with one weapon so that they won't get weight down with slower recharge.

The weapon classes which does not have too much weight concern would stick with a few of the all purpose "uber weapon" like the Harrier and there is not even a reason to use a secondary weapon. Problem is compounded by the lack of gear for the equipment slot that reward having a secondary weapons.
#10code_kirinPosted 9/4/2013 8:53:58 AM
MurphysGhost posted...
If you want a gun that's a nice, accurate headshot machine and can perform well on Gold, I'd recommend the Geth Pulse Rifle with a Targeting VI instead of an Assault Rifle amp.

I've started working through my stash of 100 Targeting VI III's using the GPR on the Geth Engineer with full weapon damage / headshot bonus in the passive and it's really pretty decent- putting a stream of headshots on a boss (or any enemy) allows this weapon to do more damage than you'd think, and with Hunter Mode the thing's laser-beam accurate.

CSMG