The Red Ending (spoilers)

#21otakutwinPosted 9/24/2013 3:31:54 PM
The "Red" ending is my favorite because you do defeat the bad guys but at the cost of sacrifice. You lose friends and people, seems a bit more realistic of warfare in a otherwise sci-fi futuristic game.
---
There may be no "I" in team but there is a "M" and "E", which spells "ME"
#22ignus18Posted 9/24/2013 4:29:54 PM
ZERO2936 posted...
Nefhith posted...
xliner posted...
YamatoBeats posted...
It ended the game.

This is probably the closest reason for me, but I hate all the endings.

---
Pokemon Black 2 Friend Code: 0047 0874 2287
Pokemon Black FC: 0562-0244-2486
#23xOfficialBallxPosted 9/24/2013 7:08:52 PM
Mass Effect 1:
"The Reapers are still out there. And I'M GOING TO STOP THEM!"

I accomplished the mission Shepard set out for at the end of the first game. Paragon'd my way through it, made some tough choices and had a total blast along the way.

Red Ending was saddening for the loss of the A.I.'s but what is a choice without consequence? The cycle ended, but the needs of the many outweighed the needs of the few. Anything and everything after that is in the hands of those who survived.. Even the possibility of rebuilding the Geth or any A.I. construct and repeating the same mistake again.
---
The time that still remains, I'll use to
Redefine me
#24CorvusXIXPosted 9/24/2013 10:15:09 PM
ignus18 posted...
ZERO2936 posted...
Nefhith posted...
xliner posted...
YamatoBeats posted...
It ended the game.

This is probably the closest reason for me, but I hate all the endings.

---
GT: RavenGuard19
#25XamufamPosted 9/25/2013 1:21:37 AM
DEV1ANTGAMER posted...
Because part of me really wants to believe in Indoctrination Theory, even though intellectually I know it's a load of crap.

It really isn't a load of crap before they rewrote the ending shepard would have been indoctrinated. there is a lot of evidence of it in me 2 arrival & me 3

Shepard's indoctrination was dropped
http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/355/index/17156973/2#17164113

http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/355/index/17335616/6#17362052

from finalhourofme3 documentary
On Deciding the End of the Game:
The illusive man boss
fight had been scrapped... but there was still much debate. 'One night
Walters scribbled down some thought on various ways the game could end
with the line "Lots of speculation for Everyone!" at the bottom of the
page.'

In truth the final bits of dialogue were debated right up
until the end of 2011. Martin Sheen's voice-over session for the
illusive man, originally scheduled for August, was delayed until
mid-November so the writers would have more time to finesse the ending.

And
even in November the gameplay team was still experimenting with an
endgame sequence where players would suddenly lose control of Shepard's
movement and fall under full reaper control. (This sequence was dropped
because the gameplay mechanic proved too troublesome to implement
alongside dialogue choices).
#26MightyMillersPosted 9/25/2013 1:44:20 AM
For me it is the best ending as Shepard gets to live and still save the galaxy. Whilst also destroying the Reapers once and for all.

I'd have liked the idea that Shepard breaking out of indoctrination would open up the possibility to destroy the Reapers.

It would make sense as when Sovereign took control of Saren, and then you killed Saren it caused Sovereign to drop it's defenses giving the fleet the ability to destroy it.

So the scene is Shepard has a series of trial battles to go through which is him fighting indoctrination, should you then succeed a pulse is sent out via the catalyst which drops the defenses of the Reaper forces allowing the fleet to destroy the Reaper.

Should you fail the trial then you remain indoctrinated and cycle begins again.
---
GT: Miller Rodge
#27ChickenfrogmanPosted 9/26/2013 6:13:28 PM
The catalyst is one of the stupidest things Bioware's ever written, so pissing it off is pleasing. And I'd rather not take the ending where Bioware's writers scream at me for not liking their 'VIS10N!1!!'
---
Renekton would make a terrible lifeguard. He'd just laugh at you as you drown and die and then probably eat your corpse.
PSN: RevolverChicken7
#28glibgibPosted 9/29/2013 2:19:33 AM
Choosing the Destroy path is the only one that actually saves anyone, and rids the galaxy of the Reapers forever. The other "choices" are the delusions of indoctrination. Of course the Catalyst would try to dissuade you from the only real choice organics have over the machines. He warns that the peace "will not last," as if it were destiny that:

1) organics will develop artificial intelligence,
2) artificial intelligence will always be in an existential struggle with organics, and
3) artificial intelligence will prevail, eliminating organic life forever.

Perhaps the Catalyst, being a machine intelligence itself, cannot imagine a different outcome from the one it was created to deal with.

Or it's just lying so Shepard won't end the whole preposterous automated cycle of terrorizing galactic liquefaction blood-torture-orgies dreamed up by some random hyper-intelligent deep-sea squid society millions of years ago. ("Hey, yeah... sorry about all that...")
#29LordTrinen(Topic Creator)Posted 9/29/2013 7:06:07 PM
glibgib posted...
Perhaps the Catalyst, being a machine intelligence itself, cannot imagine a different outcome from the one it was created to deal with.

This is a good point. The Catalyst's programming may be limiting its perspective somewhat. Since it personally wasn't able to find a solution to the problem it was programmed to solve it concludes that there is no solution at all beyond the Reapers.