Do you REALLY want a different ending?

#21Ryan-06Posted 11/3/2013 3:45:40 AM
nah.
---
http://i.imgur.com/40W5r.jpg
0=Rei. Pronounced Rei-six. Born New England. Lived in Japan. Citizen of Earth. My type of girl - http://youtu.be/jhTaQizF4z4
#22XamufamPosted 11/9/2013 3:21:01 PM
here is something that compares reapers to Hitlers Master race
http://awtr.wikidot.com/long:this-is-not-a-pipe
#23XamufamPosted 11/9/2013 3:33:52 PM
From the article the the following break down excludes some finer points but it's not a bad break down in genreal, I myself fall under catagories 2, 3 and 4.

"1) It’s a beautiful poem about stopping by some woods on a snowy evening.
Many fans embrace the literal intent of the authors, either because they always saw Mass Effect as the story of a literal conflict between synthetic and organic life with no deeper allegorical meaning except for the ending, or because this literal conflict and the three ending options don’t contradict their thoughts and feelings on any thematic conclusions they drew from the text up to that point. These fans did not see any thematic inconsistencies and were able to wholeheartedly embrace the original ending of Mass Effect.

2) Snow is depressing. As are woods. And why is the guy alone? Where’s his girlfriend?
The original ending of Mass Effect is, unquestionably, a downer. The mass relays are destroyed, Commander Shepard dies, and galactic civilization as we know it has ended. Some interpretations of the original included such delightful scenarios as: the combined military might of the galaxy is stranded around Earth, turians and quarians die of starvation, and everyone on the Citadel dies in a fiery explosion. For these fans, the intended ‘bittersweet’ ending completely missed the mark and landed squarely in ‘bitter’. This group points out that the ending is disappointing.

3) Wait, I thought I was reading a poem
This group of fans knows narrative. They know storytelling convention backwards and forwards, from the
introduction/rising-action/climax/falling-action/denoument dramatic structure – which the original ending of the Mass Effect trilogy eschews – to the basic nature of the protagonist/antagonist relationship (protip: using the antagonist as the mouthpiece to present all the final ending options is a narrative no-no). This group also includes fans with a deep understanding of the lore and setting of the Mass Effect universe and an eye for plot-holes and inconsistencies. This group is very aware of the fact that every installment of Mass Effect is conventionally structured, adheres to genre standards, and was very well-written within the confines of standard narrative conventions – and found the sudden disregard for all of the basic elements of the craft of storytelling jarring and off-putting. This group points out that the ending doesn’t make sense.

4) I don’t even know you anymore.
For these fans, it was not the “downer” of the original ending, but the problematic themes of the ending options that present the real problem. Mass Effect, in the final twenty minutes, turned into something completely unexpected – in a bad way – shredding and negating every piece of thematic interpretation they’d made about what it all meant up to that point. The idea that Mass Effect was ever about a literal conflict between synthetic and organic life, rather than an allegory that used the Reapers to represent something else entirely, was completely foreign to them – and the allegory they saw in the text was entirely incompatible with the ending. In the context of their interpretation of the themes of Mass Effect, the thematic implications of the ending are revolting, and morally repugnant. This group points out that the ending is horrifying."
#24NafzgerPosted 11/10/2013 5:15:34 AM
I don't think the Reapers are like the Nazis at all. I don't think Synthesis is anything like eugenics. The green beam isn't actively seeking out the strongest races and improvimg them while allowing the rest to die. The Reaper cycle is eugenics, really. Reaper motivations aren't the same motivations shared by the Third Reich, either.
---
XBL:ArsenalofGlory | PSN: Nafzger
http://www.last.fm/user/Rainbow_Smasher
#25DEV1ANTGAMERPosted 11/10/2013 5:51:18 AM(edited)
Xamufam posted...
From the article the the following break down excludes some finer points but it's not a bad break down in genreal, I myself fall under catagories 2, 3 and 4.

"1) It’s a beautiful poem about stopping by some woods on a snowy evening.
Many fans embrace the literal intent of the authors, either because they always saw Mass Effect as the story of a literal conflict between synthetic and organic life with no deeper allegorical meaning except for the ending, or because this literal conflict and the three ending options don’t contradict their thoughts and feelings on any thematic conclusions they drew from the text up to that point. These fans did not see any thematic inconsistencies and were able to wholeheartedly embrace the original ending of Mass Effect.

2) Snow is depressing. As are woods. And why is the guy alone? Where’s his girlfriend?
The original ending of Mass Effect is, unquestionably, a downer. The mass relays are destroyed, Commander Shepard dies, and galactic civilization as we know it has ended. Some interpretations of the original included such delightful scenarios as: the combined military might of the galaxy is stranded around Earth, turians and quarians die of starvation, and everyone on the Citadel dies in a fiery explosion. For these fans, the intended ‘bittersweet’ ending completely missed the mark and landed squarely in ‘bitter’. This group points out that the ending is disappointing.

3) Wait, I thought I was reading a poem
This group of fans knows narrative. They know storytelling convention backwards and forwards, from the
introduction/rising-action/climax/falling-action/denoument dramatic structure – which the original ending of the Mass Effect trilogy eschews – to the basic nature of the protagonist/antagonist relationship (protip: using the antagonist as the mouthpiece to present all the final ending options is a narrative no-no). This group also includes fans with a deep understanding of the lore and setting of the Mass Effect universe and an eye for plot-holes and inconsistencies. This group is very aware of the fact that every installment of Mass Effect is conventionally structured, adheres to genre standards, and was very well-written within the confines of standard narrative conventions – and found the sudden disregard for all of the basic elements of the craft of storytelling jarring and off-putting. This group points out that the ending doesn’t make sense.

4) I don’t even know you anymore.
For these fans, it was not the “downer” of the original ending, but the problematic themes of the ending options that present the real problem. Mass Effect, in the final twenty minutes, turned into something completely unexpected – in a bad way – shredding and negating every piece of thematic interpretation they’d made about what it all meant up to that point. The idea that Mass Effect was ever about a literal conflict between synthetic and organic life, rather than an allegory that used the Reapers to represent something else entirely, was completely foreign to them – and the allegory they saw in the text was entirely incompatible with the ending. In the context of their interpretation of the themes of Mass Effect, the thematic implications of the ending are revolting, and morally repugnant. This group points out that the ending is horrifying."

This, but with a #5.) Rocks Fall, Everyone Dies
For the people who just saw it as an EA cash-grab/rushed ending for the purposes of a cash-grab. How true that is or not is debatable, but I know a large number of fans feel that way. This group points out that the ending is there just to be there.
#26NafzgerPosted 11/10/2013 5:40:41 AM
I don't think it was a cashgrab. I think it was a situation of writing yourself into a corner without knowing what direction you want to go and then decided to turn a simple space opera into some sort of philosophical soapbox.
---
XBL:ArsenalofGlory | PSN: Nafzger
http://www.last.fm/user/Rainbow_Smasher
#278bitPunkPosted 11/10/2013 11:59:56 AM
The article seems to try and intellectualize the perception felt towards the ending by gamers.

You can simplify all of that to, "the ending was not satisfying".

All of the hate directed towards the ending was also boosted by the failure of Bioware to live up to the expectations they set with regard to meaningful choices.

I would have liked to see more consequences based on your actions. For instance, if you let the Council die in ME1, now every Council Race treats you like a racist and every non-Council race treats you like, "yeah, they had it coming".
---
Xbox 360 GT: o 8bitPunk o
Need a new Emoticon? Why not Zoidberg? (V) (;,,;) (V)
#28BDJaycePosted 11/10/2013 12:35:54 PM
My only real complaint was that it was "all AI".. which meant creatures like the Geth and EDI were going to be screwed over by your choices.

I would've been fine as long as there was a "kill only Reapers" scenario.
---
GT: JamesBolton0723
#29CBratePosted 11/10/2013 11:35:00 PM
Considering the current endings are just the same with different skin colours, YES I REALLY WANT DIFFERENT ENDINGS!
#30LeoduxPosted 11/14/2013 5:05:14 AM
I just wished the Reaper A.I. picked a different form, maybe that of your love interest or the Virmire sacrifice/survivor instead of some kid nobody cares about.
---
GT - Malice Of Mars