I so hate the Council (spoilers)

• Topic Archived
  1. Boards
  2. Mass Effect 3
  3. I so hate the Council (spoilers)
2 years ago#1
I finished ME1 again today. Once again I saved the Council. Next time I play I'm going to sacrifice them, even if I'm playing Paragon.

I listened to their speech about how grateful they were to those Alliance soldiers who sacrificed themselves to save them. Their speech is supposed to be uplifting but I hate their tone. The way they say it...it's like they expected it. Like it couldn't have happened any other way. Believe me, it could have.

Also in their speech they vow to honor the memory of the fallen by standing together to face the Reapers. They then spit on these fallen by reneging on their promise and ignoring humanity as Collectors abduct whole colonies. Humanity is still rebuilding its forces so it can't handle this themselves. The asari and salarian still have plenty of ships and forces. Even the turians still have a large army even after their own losses during the battle of the Citadel. The Council was founded on the spirit of cooperation, to help and support each other in their time of need. The asari or salarians couldn't lend a hand and maybe a few ships?

And lets not forget everything that happens at the start of ME3. The Council is content to sacrifice Earth and humanity if it could buy them a little extra time to protect themselves. The new Council may not be much better but the old one is just disgusting.

I know most of this is very old news by this point but I just felt like ranting.
2 years ago#2
To be fair to the council at the start of the third game, taking all their forces to Earth right then as Udina and Shepard were asking would have guaranteed a wipe.

Just the same, my headcanon is that the asari were kicked off the council entirely, while Valern and Sparatus were called back to their homeworlds and stripped of their positions. Also, Sparatus was punched out by Victus.
---
Get your f*#%*!% foot off my neck, then we'll talk tolerance. - David Gerrold
2 years ago#3
I Always save them.

Regardless of how ignorant they are, it feels like treason not to.
---
Loading Signature..........
2 years ago#4
To be fair to the council at the start of the third game, taking all their forces to Earth right then as Udina and Shepard were asking would have guaranteed a wipe.

I agree on that point but they could at least start offering additional support for the Crucible. It may be a long shot but it is certainly better than any plan they are coming up with. It takes a gun pointed at their heads before they stop being useless and start seriously contributing to a united war effort. But then of course the asari Councilor continues to hold out on everyone...

Just the same, my headcanon is that the asari were kicked off the council entirely, while Valern and Sparatus were called back to their homeworlds and stripped of their positions. Also, Sparatus was punched out by Victus.

Same with me here. The original Councilors are recalled to their homeworlds and are stripped of all powers if not jailed. Victus punching Sparatus is a nice touch.

I couldn't agree more about the asari. I can picture it perfectly. I headcanon that the Council is reformed with representatives from all races. One day the Council convenes a special session. The first order of business: Kicking the asari off the Council. Naturally the Councilor fights this but the rest of the Council is unanimous in this decision.

Their punishment for hiding Vendetta would be several fold. The asari are removed from the Council for 1,000 years. After that they must earn the right to regain their seat much like every other species was forced to do. The asari would be forced to pay massive reparations that will likely cripple the asari economies for years. The asari would then submit a list containing the names of all their leaders who knew about Vendetta. Depending how many people are on this list either half or all of them would be sentenced to life in jail. I would let them decide whose heads they would put on the chopping block.

Before ME3 the asari were possibly my favorite alien race. After ME3 they are my most hated.
2 years ago#5
I wish that in Mass Effect 3 you could've shoved the Reapers in the Council's face and been all "Haha! Told ya b****es. Now you can deal with the Reapers yourself." Even if it would've been an ultimate failure or game over type ending I would've done it at least once.
---
GT: SEV 74907
2 years ago#6
What about killing the council and letting a new council with a seat for the human race there?
---
I have so many Disruptor rounds I could solo the Sovereign attack on the Citadel. -Mr_arizona
2 years ago#7
I just wish the council wasnt replaced by identikit characters and that things would play out a bit differently... makes the choice of letting them die or saving them pointless when nothing but the chacter model plus a few lines changes... like some other choices that carry across... RACHNII... ahem.
---
GT - Xero M XTC
http://social.bioware.com/n7hq/home/inventory/?name=Xero M XTC&platform=xbox
2 years ago#8
The 3 members of the Council are just representatives of their races. However accomplished/respected/important they are amongst their people when it really comes down to it they are just some lackeys with no actual power to do anything.
---
"You assume i give a damn. That's cute."
2 years ago#9
Tbx66 posted...
The 3 members of the Council are just representatives of their races. However accomplished/respected/important they are amongst their people when it really comes down to it they are just some lackeys with no actual power to do anything.

Wrong. The Citadel has its own forces that answer directly to the council. The Spectres are just one of them. And even if that weren't the case, the council can at least keep their peoples' leadership informed.
---
Get your f*#%*!% foot off my neck, then we'll talk tolerance. - David Gerrold
2 years ago#10
Nefhith posted...
What about killing the council and letting a new council with a seat for the human race there?

Last I checked ME1 really only had 3 endings as far as the Council is concerned and they tied directly to your Paragon/Renegade decisions.

Paragon - Save the Council and they live.

Paragon - Sacrifice the Council - New council with human chairman.

Renegade - Sacrifice the Council - Human council.

IIIRC, any sacrifice scenario causes the resentment and general dislike of humanity in ME2.
  1. Boards
  2. Mass Effect 3
  3. I so hate the Council (spoilers)

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived