I so hate the Council (spoilers)

#11pointer9378Posted 11/9/2013 10:48:49 AM
I always saved the council, despite how much I dislike them. I agree that an "I told you so" option in ME3 would have been nice. :)
---
The ME3 board's friendly neighborhood Honduran.
#12LordTrinen(Topic Creator)Posted 11/9/2013 10:53:25 AM
pointer9378 posted...
I always saved the council, despite how much I dislike them. I agree that an "I told you so" option in ME3 would have been nice. :)

Sadly the closest we get is one dialogue choice when speaking alone with the turian Councilor. But he dodges the whole issue and the whole thing feels very dissatisfying.

Shepard: "I told you this would happen and they did nothing."
Councilor: "We can talk about the past later if you'd like."
#13Tbx66Posted 11/9/2013 4:46:18 PM
SageOfLife posted...
Tbx66 posted...
The 3 members of the Council are just representatives of their races. However accomplished/respected/important they are amongst their people when it really comes down to it they are just some lackeys with no actual power to do anything.

Wrong. The Citadel has its own forces that answer directly to the council. The Spectres are just one of them. And even if that weren't the case, the council can at least keep their peoples' leadership informed.

The Council may have some sort of authority and forces at its disposal, but they do answer to somebody. That's why I'm saying that the 3 councilors aren't the ones to blame.
---
"You assume i give a damn. That's cute."
#14SageOfLifePosted 11/9/2013 5:11:27 PM
Tbx66 posted...
SageOfLife posted...
Tbx66 posted...
The 3 members of the Council are just representatives of their races. However accomplished/respected/important they are amongst their people when it really comes down to it they are just some lackeys with no actual power to do anything.

Wrong. The Citadel has its own forces that answer directly to the council. The Spectres are just one of them. And even if that weren't the case, the council can at least keep their peoples' leadership informed.

The Council may have some sort of authority and forces at its disposal, but they do answer to somebody. That's why I'm saying that the 3 councilors aren't the ones to blame.

Each individual councilor answers to their own species, but every species answers to the collective council. And why aren't the councilors to blame? They knew the truth about Sovereign and brushed it under the rug.
---
Get your f*#%*!% foot off my neck, then we'll talk tolerance. - David Gerrold
#15Tbx66Posted 11/9/2013 5:30:07 PM
SageOfLife posted...
Tbx66 posted...
SageOfLife posted...
Tbx66 posted...

Each individual councilor answers to their own species, but every species answers to the collective council. And why aren't the councilors to blame? They knew the truth about Sovereign and brushed it under the rug.

And I am sure they passed up the information to those people from their races that actually take all the important decisions. Just like Udina and Anderson who knew about the Reapers, but it wasn't up to them to do anything about it. Whether they believed on it or not, there was a Prime minister and a parliament which governed the Alliance systems.

Which bring us back to my initial statement about the individual members of the Council playing a role with no actual saying on Galactic affairs.
---
#16SageOfLifePosted 11/9/2013 5:49:11 PM
Tbx66 posted...
SageOfLife posted...
Tbx66 posted...
SageOfLife posted...
Tbx66 posted...

And I am sure they passed up the information to those people from their races that actually take all the important decisions. Just like Udina and Anderson who knew about the Reapers, but it wasn't up to them to do anything about it. Whether they believed on it or not, there was a Prime minister and a parliament which governed the Alliance systems.

Which bring us back to my initial statement about the individual members of the Council playing a role with no actual saying on Galactic affairs.

No they did not. It's made pretty clear that the individual governments did not the know the truth about Sovereign and it's shown directly that the Council covered it up.

Your statement shows that you didn't pay attention and have no idea how the political system works.
---
#17Tbx66Posted 11/9/2013 6:04:11 PM
I find that really hard to believe. I can accept that they chose to ignore it completely and convince themselves the Reapers were a figment of Shepard's imagination, but not that they kept everything involving a sentient race of machines to themselves.

I know how the earth Alliance systems work, which I can't say the same for you. Or is that perhaps you are quite fond of arguing everything to death and having the last word. In any case have fun with it and don't forget to check my sig as well. It's not just a favorite quote from the first game, it also applies to many other things.
---
#18SageOfLifePosted 11/9/2013 6:15:47 PM
Tbx66 posted...
I find that really hard to believe. I can accept that they chose to ignore it completely and convince themselves the Reapers were a figment of Shepard's imagination, but not that they kept everything involving a sentient race of machines to themselves.

I know how the earth Alliance systems work, which I can't say the same for you. Or is that perhaps you are quite fond of arguing everything to death and having the last word. In any case have fun with it and don't forget to check my sig as well. It's not just a favorite quote from the first game, it also applies to many other things.

Belief is not required for something to be true.

I never said that you don't know how the System's Alliance works. I said you clearly don't know how the Council system works. Nice deflection.
---
#19TallWhiteNinjaPosted 11/9/2013 7:36:26 PM
I don't save the Council: I save the Destiny Ascension (might not have fared well in that specific battle, but it's still one of the most powerful ships at the Council races' disposal, which makes it pretty useful). The Council just happens to be on it.
---
Either the worst great player or the best horrible player you'll ever meet.
#20JediWatchmenPosted 11/11/2013 9:20:38 AM
I would love the next mass effect to be shortly after the reaper war and for the salarians and asari to be bared from the council and their leaders to go through a military tribunal for crimes against the state and sentient life.
---
The Blackest Night falls from the skies.The darkness grows as all light dies.We crave your hearts and your demise. By my black hand...The dead shall rise!