Plot Holes, or Ending Topic Too: Electric Boogaloo

#1TimeShinigamiPosted 11/17/2013 7:04:08 AM
"At some point, the Crucible's plans were upgraded to include the Catalyst, the Citadel. It is presumed that without it, the Crucible was not powerful enough to halt the Reapers. ...This was kept secret under my protocols, for fear of the Reapers learning this fact, and taking back control of the Citadel...". - Vendetta (the Thessian Beacon AI), Cerberus HQ, ME 3.

Ok, so, how in the HELL does this statement make any sense? We learn from Vigil, on Ilos in ME 1, that every Reaper Invasion has begun with Soverign signaling the Keepers to open the Dark Space Relay and allow the Reapers into the Galaxy. Every single Harvest, since the Cycle began, started with the subjugation of the Citadel and control over the Relays.

So, why in Kalros' Name, was any blueprint including the friggin' Citadel in its plans? I've actually never noticed this before, and just replayed this part this morning after work (you wouldn't believe the effort of will it took me not to just quit after I finished the party at my apartment, lol), and thought now would be as good a time as any to discuss something stupid about the ending.
---
Not changing this sig until the Detroit Lions win the Super Bowl.
GT- ShinigamiOfTime
#2NafzgerPosted 11/17/2013 7:11:50 AM
First, you are wrong about one thing. Sovereign doesn't signal the Harvest. The Citadel sends the signal. The protheans modified it so Sovereign came to find out WTF was going on.

The idea behind using the Citadel is that it's connected to every mass relay in the Milky Way. The trouble with this explanation is that every mass relay is also connected to every mass relay. It was supposed be one of those shocker moments, and it was only such a moment because BW jammed their fingers up your ass unexpectedly.
---
XBL:ArsenalofGlory | PSN: Nafzger
http://www.last.fm/user/Rainbow_Smasher
#3YandizbarPosted 11/17/2013 9:19:03 AM
Nafzger posted...
The idea behind using the Citadel is that it's connected to every mass relay in the Milky Way. The trouble with this explanation is that every mass relay is also connected to every mass relay. It was supposed be one of those shocker moments, and it was only such a moment because BW jammed their fingers up your ass unexpectedly.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the relays work point to point? That is, each relay only goes to one other, and cannot "change course." So the Citadel is connected to dark space and nowhere else, yes?
#4CloudSFF7Posted 11/17/2013 10:43:58 AM
I think one other reason it makes sense is that the citidel being a mass relay means it's got a vast power supply to tap into but is slightly different in how it can be accessed and used(assumably it has either more power or was easier to access than other mass relays,otherwise the crucible would be usable with any and all mass relays and not just the citidel)
---
GT:CloudSFF7
Live forever in a moment
#5MurphysGhostPosted 11/17/2013 10:52:56 AM
Yandizbar posted...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the relays work point to point? That is, each relay only goes to one other, and cannot "change course." So the Citadel is connected to dark space and nowhere else, yes?

There are two standard types of Relays, basically (this is in the Codex somewhere).

There are Primary Relays which are sort of regional hubs and each connect to many Secondary Relays, which are one-way connections.

Then there is the Citadel, which is stationed near a number of Primary relays. Organic species traveling to and from the Citadel don't used the Citadel as a Relay, the vast majority of them don't know it's a Relay in the first place- they use the Relays it's stationed near.

However, it's mentioned a number of times that the Citadel can act as a control hub for the entire Relay network, which is exactly why it's so critical for the Crucible. The Crucible provides the technology to project an incredible amount of energy, and the Citadel provides the means to direct that energy.
---
"The act of treachery is an art, but the traitor himself is a piece of ****." - Mike Tyson
#6ozzyman314Posted 11/17/2013 11:04:20 AM
Didn't the Catalyst say that they(Reapers) Believed that the concept of the Cruciable had been eradicated?
---
Loading Signature..........
#7TimeShinigami(Topic Creator)Posted 11/17/2013 11:31:57 AM
ozzyman314 posted...
Didn't the Catalyst say that they(Reapers) Believed that the concept of the Cruciable had been eradicated?

"We had noticed this design a few Cycles ago, though none had been able to complete it..."

Starbrat also states that they knew who invented the design, which means it wasn't the Leviathans who came up with the design... Which means, once again, how would anyone know to use the Citadel as the Catalyst, since none had ever been able to prevent it from being captured immediately by the Reapers (until Shep, anyways)?
---
Not changing this sig until the Detroit Lions win the Super Bowl.
GT- ShinigamiOfTime
#8LordTrinenPosted 11/17/2013 11:33:37 AM
ozzyman314 posted...

The Reapers were aware of the Crucible existence and tried to eliminate all traces of it. They likely destroyed any incomplete Crucible's they find and delete any copies of the blueprints. As the Catalyst says, organics proved more resourceful than it anticipated and copies of the blueprints managed to survive each Cycle for the next to find.
#9LordTrinenPosted 11/17/2013 11:38:16 AM
TimeShinigami posted...
ozzyman314 posted...

"We had noticed this design a few Cycles ago, though none had been able to complete it..."

Starbrat also states that they knew who invented the design, which means it wasn't the Leviathans who came up with the design... Which means, once again, how would anyone know to use the Citadel as the Catalyst, since none had ever been able to prevent it from being captured immediately by the Reapers (until Shep, anyways)?

Every Cycle some species inhabits the Citadel and attempts to study it. Though they lose control of the Citadel at the start of the invasion some details about the station likely survive and are passed on to survivors.

At some point one of these species probably discovered how the Citadel controls the relay network before they lost control of it. This piece of information was passed down until it reached those attempting to build their Cycle's Crucible. One or more of these scientists realized it could be used. By attaching the Crucible to the Citadel its power is focused and spread throughout the galaxy via the relay network.
#10NafzgerPosted 11/17/2013 5:39:54 PM
You can find a number of ways to justify it and it will make total sense, but it still comes off as ridiculous.
---
XBL:ArsenalofGlory | PSN: Nafzger
http://www.last.fm/user/Rainbow_Smasher