Is a gold solo ever easy?

#1phishfacePosted 12/12/2013 2:20:20 PM
Reason I ask is that I'm getting Dark Souls soon, and wanted to get an idea of just how difficult it is (having heard all the usual stuff). So I posted a question on the Dark Souls board, asking for comparisons to ME3 mp difficulty: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/608635-dark-souls/68075767

Some people seem to be saying that DS is like one long gold solo, which scares the bejeesus out of me. Some also suggest that gold solos are easy. I'm not so sure - I know that I could not survive 99/100 gold solo attempts. Then again, I'm not very good at it.

Also, I realise that all this is all a bit vague and probably there's no good way to compare the two, I should just play DS and find out, etc, but there it is.
---
Gamertag: puremintoil
#2MetaIGearRexPosted 12/12/2013 2:27:05 PM
Dark Souls isnt that bad, aside from a few spots. Its easy if you play a sword and shield build and just keep your shield up.

Its hard for me to compare difficulties but my first thought is that a gold solo is harder than most parts of Dark Souls.
---
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing all your life." - Mickey Mantle
#3SolidDroidPosted 12/12/2013 2:41:24 PM
Gold solo is much harder than dark souls
---
Gamertag- DROlD
(I is a L)
#4TimeShinigamiPosted 12/12/2013 2:45:44 PM
Yes.

My first was 33 mins against Cerberus on Giant with a Pihrana GI.

Also, Dark Souls is overhyped by kiddies who don't recall the classic era of gaming. Yeah, its real hard. Oh, wait, you have save points? Oh, well, then...
---
Not changing this sig until the Detroit Lions win the Super Bowl.
GT- ShinigamiOfTime
#5DethuliPosted 12/12/2013 2:48:32 PM
Gold solo can be really easy or really difficult depending on your skill level, your kit, and objectives. I believe most people could easily solo gold with a Kroguard+Reegar and level 3 equipment/ammo, but be hard pressed to last long with a TSol or QFE.
---
Got a minute? You might learn something.
#6Havoc49JPosted 12/12/2013 2:54:44 PM
Once you find an enemy, learn its attack pattern, and learn to counter it, DKS is easy. If you make a mistake you'll probably die more often than other games, but dying is a expected occurrence you have to prepare for by guarding your acquired souls.

The primary difficulty comes from the complete lack of guidance in the game. But this is part of what makes the game so fun. I very highly suggest you don't look at a single guide on your first play through. You only get one chance to experience the game this way, and its a very worth while expirience.

The games what you make of it. If you blaze through it you'll be done in a week, but you'll have no clue what going on story wise. Read the item descriptions and see what they say. Often they'll become relevant to an area or person later on.

Dig some more and you'll discover an complex plot from clues based upon the locations of an item, its proximity to in game characters and more. Its a very unique style of story telling, and it's made so much more interesting because your literally hunting it down a discovering it, often by following clues of someone's exploits until you find their final resting place. Which then starts you on a whole other trail based on their body's location/proximity to other people/events. Your not being told a story. Your the archeologist digging up the bones, translating the writings and discovering it.

I love the depth of DKS. Its a very deep and immersive game if you take the time to go out and find it. Nothing's spoon fed, your given no direction, plot, tutorial, and no mercy. If you want any of the above you have to go out and get it. They don't info dump your purpose, goals and aspirations in the first 2min and lead you by the hand. Your stumbling through a dangerous world where the next corner can hold everything from a merchant to a host of skeleton hordes you can only injure with specially crafted weapons. And that's literally the first fork in the road you make.

It's not for everyone, but if you really dig into a game and scrap away all you can from it, you'll still be finding new things every time you get on dks 5 years from now.

And then there's the PVP scene, but that's a whole other thing.

-ME3 stuffz

Soloing gold isn't something I consider difficult, but I've been doing it more than a year and a half now, so I'm pretty biased in that assessment.
#7DethuliPosted 12/12/2013 2:55:07 PM
TimeShinigami posted...
Yes.

Also, Dark Souls is overhyped by kiddies who don't recall the classic era of gaming. Yeah, its real hard. Oh, wait, you have save points? Oh, well, then...

Ghosts N' Goblins was Dark Souls before Demon Souls was even a thing.
---
Got a minute? You might learn something.
#8SolidDroidPosted 12/12/2013 2:56:59 PM
Listen to havoc.
---
Gamertag- DROlD
(I is a L)
#9phishface(Topic Creator)Posted 12/12/2013 3:01:31 PM
Thanks, I'm really looking forward to it now. I love the idea of archaeological story-telling.
---
Gamertag: puremintoil
#10TimeShinigamiPosted 12/12/2013 3:03:46 PM
Dethuli posted...
TimeShinigami posted...
Yes.

Ghosts N' Goblins was Dark Souls before Demon Souls was even a thing.

OMG thank you for the reference! I was going to mention it myself, but was afraid nobody would have any idea what i was talking about.
---
Not changing this sig until the Detroit Lions win the Super Bowl.
GT- ShinigamiOfTime