Bioware on In-Game Romances, and Why they will Continue.

#1TimeShinigamiPosted 1/26/2014 6:28:14 AM
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/01/24/mass-affect-bioware-on-why-it-wont-give-up-romances/

Makes sense to me. I'm fine with it, don't see it as weird or anything. Glad they've branched out a little more with the sexuality element too- not every character needs to be bi, but for those who it makes sense (lookin' at you, Jack) keep it up. I'm unsure if every crew member should be romancible in some form however. Think Kasumi and Samara for instance. What d'you all think?

Discuss.
---
Not changing this sig until the Detroit Lions win the Super Bowl.
GT- ShinigamiOfTime
#2FearOfTheLightPosted 1/26/2014 6:37:15 AM
While I applaud their intentions on the matter, and acknowledge that 'romance' seems one of the many integral aspects of character development...I hope they don't over-saturate their games with it.

Some people are Asexual...don't they get a bit of say in how the game caters to them? There are a variety of other aspects Bioware could focus on:

-Loyalty (improved than ME2)
-Character History
-Friendships
-Angst and Emotional Recovery

These are what I (personally) feel should be expanded upon in detail for each and every NPC you 'recruit'.

Although, I guess not everyone shares this sentiment.
---
---
"When I'm walking a dark road, I am a man who walks alone" - Iron Maiden
#3byron97Posted 1/26/2014 9:43:17 AM
Wait,so it "makes sense" for Jack to be bisexual?

Why, exactly? Because she's tattooed? Or because she has her head shaved? Because she has piercings? Because she's a convicted murdering psychopath?
#4ozzyman314Posted 1/26/2014 9:52:16 AM
I don't think that every character should be a romance option, as well as being able to romance the same person regardless of gender *coughLiaracough* I think it deludes there character.

Sometimes more is less.
---
Loading Signature..........
#5NafzgerPosted 1/26/2014 9:52:59 AM
It makes sense because she mentions having a three way in an early conversation. She could have been experimenting for sure, but it wouldn't be super far-fetched to make her bisexual. She comes off like the modern sexually liberated feminist as well. One of my best friends is like that: she doesn't believe in genders or sexual orientations. She is sexually attracted to personalities and minds, no matter if it's a man or a woman. No rude comments prz
---
XBL:ArsenalofGlory | PSN: Nafzger
http://www.last.fm/user/Rainbow_Smasher
#6NaughtyOctopusPosted 1/26/2014 10:08:42 AM
Nafzger posted...
It makes sense because she mentions having a three way in an early conversation. She could have been experimenting for sure, but it wouldn't be super far-fetched to make her bisexual. She comes off like the modern sexually liberated feminist as well. One of my best friends is like that: she doesn't believe in genders or sexual orientations. She is sexually attracted to personalities and minds, no matter if it's a man or a woman. No rude comments prz

couldn't read with straight face
---
http://i.imgur.com/D13zI.gif
damn
#7MurphysGhostPosted 1/26/2014 10:49:05 AM
In a game with much more dialogue depth than ME has, something like DA:O or the old Fallout games, you could possibly make romance subplots pretty interesting by having nuanced conversations leading to two characters becoming closer.

But in Mass Effect, with the dialogue wheel, you don't have much of a chance at that. And even in the case of DA:O, there always comes a tipping point where it's like, "OK, you've negotiated enough conversations now - time for the payoff, a super-awkwardly animated humping scene!"

This is problematic for a few reasons- it feels disjointed from the rest of the game scenario, it equates sex as the ultimate confirmation of a relationship (when in reality people *usually* have sex way before they figure out how much they actually like each other... :P), and after the sex, the conversations usually grind to a halt pretty quickly. QUEST COMPLETE!

I think to make the romances truly valuable parts of the experience they'd need to be focused on much more by the writing team and scenario designers. And I don't particularly want to play a game about romantic relationships- I'd rather play a game about jetting around the galaxy exploring planets and shooting it out with aliens. I think the best solution for the games would be to side-step it. There can be some romantic-leaning dialogue choices between characters but the whole "sidequest for a sex scene" concept could really be cut out entirely, with the player left to imagine these things for their self.

The real reason romance won't be dropped is it stirs up conversation and controversy. Shep and Miranda's make-out scene was prominently featured in ME2 marketing, you get Fox New yapping about sex in games, you get forums lighting up with topics about sexual orientation, etc. I don't think the romance helps the games be good games, but it definitely helps promote them.
---
"The act of treachery is an art, but the traitor himself is a piece of ****." - Mike Tyson
#8TimeShinigami(Topic Creator)Posted 1/26/2014 11:00:21 AM(edited)
byron97 posted...

Why, exactly? Because she's tattooed? Or because she has her head shaved? Because she has piercings? Because she's a convicted murdering psychopath?

I'm guessing you never talked with Jack a lot.

Also, as someone convicted of 1st Deg. Att. Murder, I think you'll be surprised at how many convicts are bisexual.
---
Not changing this sig until the Detroit Lions win the Super Bowl.
GT- ShinigamiOfTime
#9NaughtyOctopusPosted 1/26/2014 11:02:29 AM
TimeShinigami posted...
byron97 posted...

I'm guessing you never talked with Jack a lot.

Also, as someone convicted of 1st Deg. Att. Murder, I think you'll be surprised at how many convicts are bisexual.

wat
---
http://i.imgur.com/D13zI.gif
damn
#10YandizbarPosted 1/26/2014 12:10:10 PM
First and foremost, relationships will never be properly introduced or used in most games. The nuances and complications involved with sexuality and attraction cannot be translated to a video game.

However, The Witcher 2 has a few examples of how to script a romance scene, though they are far from perfect. Check out the one with Triss Merigold. Much more convincing than anything we've had yet. Intimate, sensual, not rushed. Definitely a good "starting point" for developers to reference.