So I've started my insanity run as a infiltrator and I'm having some issues.

#1AtIantisPosted 3/1/2014 9:29:49 AM(edited)
Hey everyone,

I beat Mass Effect 2 on insanity with the soldier class. While it was great fun (adrenalin rush was op!), I thought it would be a good idea to start a different class on ME3. So upon researching the classes and the pros and cons I came to the decision to start with an infiltrator. Now, since I imported my character over - it allowed me to pick 30 level worth's of points for my character... I didn't really like this as it felt overwhelming to have to make so many choices and essentially plan out how my character was going to be (seeing as I've had no experience with the class before). This is what I've currently picked:

Disruptor ammo - Rank 4
Incinerate - Rank 6
Tactical Cloak - Rank 6 with bonus sniper damage
Sticky Grenade - Rank 4 (hardly ever use these)
Operational Mastery - Rank 4
Fortification - Rank 1

Are these good choices for the character? should I respec and change something? I feel so weak in battle, like ridiculously weak. I'm not sure if it's because my weapons are under-powered in comparison to my level or I don't have good enough upgrades for the starting weapons. Part of me wants to go back to the solider class as I cruised through ME2 with ease but this board seems to rave on about the infiltrator and adept classes. Tempted to start again as an adept. What do?
---
maybe the PS3 copies were so ashamed at being sub HD, they sabotaged the cargo ship and committed suicide. v_v - jessica73 on RDR shortages.
#2TimeShinigamiPosted 3/1/2014 10:31:28 AM
Adept is REALLY OP if you have access to Reave as a Bonus Power (by saving and recruiting Kaiden) and/or always bring Liara with you.

Most of the Snipers are underwhelming (although if you have the DLC that includes the Krysae, use that and waltz through the game, lol), so I'd recommend a Shotgun build. Take Cloak to 4, and use the Claymore (gained on Grunt's encounter). I'd max stickies for armor damage, along with incinerate and Disruptor ammo. Bonus Power is up to your personal reference. Taking only one rank in Fort is doing nothing for you.
---
Not changing this sig until the Detroit Lions win the Super Bowl.
GT- ShinigamiOfTime
#3Spider5800Posted 3/1/2014 10:49:16 AM
I'd respec out of Sticky Grenades, they're just not that good in SP. I'd also change your bonus power, you should be cloaking and hiding from enemy fire, Fortification is kinda redundant. Energy Drain is a good way to get rid of shields/barriers on enemies while still giving you some added survivability, or you could use Proximity Mine to weaken bosses for faster kills.
---
The big brain am winning again! I am the greetest! Now I am leaving Earth for no raisin!
#4SageOfLifePosted 3/1/2014 11:29:23 AM
First of all, replace Fortification with Energy Drain, preferably spec'd with Radius, Drain, and Armor Boost. If you have a heavy weapon loadout, Recharge Speed might be better.

Cryo Ammo is the power to leave at level 4. It's mainly useful for giving a boost to squadmates that don't have their own ammo powers.

Since you're using a sniper rifle, Disruptor Ammo is best spec'd with Damage, Headshots, and Stun Chance.

Taking Incinerate to level 6 is a good idea. I don't know which evolutions you picked, but I prefer Radius, Burning Damage, and Armor Damage. Again, Recharge Speed might be better if you use a heavy weapon loadout.

For Tactical Cloak, I prefer Duration, Recharge Speed, and Bonus Power. Extra weapon damage boosts tend to be overkill, especially with sniper rifles. With tactical activation and deactivation, you can get around recharge speeds. This is extremely important if you're using heavier weapons.

Sticky Grenades are worth using. They're your most reliable power combo detonators, especially if you have a heavy loadout. I recommend Damage, Max Grenades, and Proximity Trap. You can have fun with chokepoints this way.

Sabotage is worth using purely for the Tech Vulnerability evolution. Since synthetic enemies are so rare this time, Backfire and Recharge Speed are better for the other two levels.

The best evolutions on Operational Mastery depend on your weapon. If you're using a sniper rifle, Influence & Duration, Weight Capacity, and Sniper Damage will give you the best spread of bonuses. If you focus on any other weapon, the evolutions for levels 4 and 6 should be switched.

Fitness is easy. Just choose the ones that improve your defenses. If you don't plan to focus on melee damage, the bonuses to it are useless.

Power combos are extremely important in this game. Tech Bursts are your best source of damage against shields and synthetic health. Without relying on squadmates, you can prime them with Energy Drain, Disruptor Ammo, and Sabotage, and you can detonate them with Energy Drain, Incinerate, Sticky Grenades, and Sabotage. Remember that the priming power and the detonating power must be different. Also note that Energy Drain only primes or detonates when enemies are shielded and/or synthetic. You have a five second window to detonate. Squadmates add Overload as a priming power and any power that causes damage in a single burst as a detonator.

Fire Explosions (if you have patch 1.04 or above) are your best source of damage against armor and organic health. Without relying on squadmates, you can prime them with Incinerate, and detonate them with Sticky Grenades, Sabotage, or Energy Drain. Remember that Energy Drain can only detonate if the target is shielded and/or synthetic. You have a five second window to detonate if Incinerate is the priming power. Squadmates add Inferno Grenades, Carnage, and Incendiary Ammo as possible primers and any power that causes damage in a single burst as a detonator. Your window varies depending on the priming power. Remember that the priming power and the detonating power must be different.

Since I suck with sniper rifles, I can't really give you any advice on weapons.
---
Get your f*#%*!% foot off my neck, then we'll talk tolerance. - David Gerrold
#5Kyo3333Posted 3/1/2014 11:38:43 AM(edited)
TimeShinigami posted...
Adept is REALLY OP if you have access to Reave as a Bonus Power (by saving and recruiting Kaiden) and/or always bring Liara with you.

Most of the Snipers are underwhelming (although if you have the DLC that includes the Krysae, use that and waltz through the game, lol), so I'd recommend a Shotgun build. Take Cloak to 4, and use the Claymore (gained on Grunt's encounter). I'd max stickies for armor damage, along with incinerate and Disruptor ammo. Bonus Power is up to your personal reference. Taking only one rank in Fort is doing nothing for you.

I never understood why Reave was the preferred Adept Power (maybe it's because I played multiplayer for a long before ever touching the story). Is it because it's hit-scan? Because Dark Channel does that too? Is it because of the DR... because I hardly notice that in singleplayer? Surely it can't be the damage... the damage on it kinda blows. I can;t really see a case for using this over Dominate or even Warp Ammo.

Probably a stupid question though, exposing some kind of grievous ignorance on my part of the game mechanics. But like I said, kinda sucks in multiplayer without spamming cluster grenades or casting it on enemies in a warp-bubble. Doesn't even have a +50% evolution for explosions.
---
Sarcasm, learn it instead of getting angry. Posts will often be filled with random tangents and un-serious jokes.
#6JetblackmoonPosted 3/1/2014 11:33:11 PM
Kyo3333 posted...
I never understood why Reave was the preferred Adept Power (maybe it's because I played multiplayer for a long before ever touching the story). Is it because it's hit-scan? Because Dark Channel does that too? Is it because of the DR... because I hardly notice that in singleplayer? Surely it can't be the damage... the damage on it kinda blows. I can;t really see a case for using this over Dominate or even Warp Ammo.

Probably a stupid question though, exposing some kind of grievous ignorance on my part of the game mechanics. But like I said, kinda sucks in multiplayer without spamming cluster grenades or casting it on enemies in a warp-bubble. Doesn't even have a +50% evolution for explosions.

Reave primes and detonates biotic explosions. It also can't be dodged, which makes it even better. It's just really versatile and works well with pretty much any other biotic power that isn't a primer-only power.
---
Hey, everyone! This store discriminates against the poor!
#7SKA_Posted 3/2/2014 1:12:13 AM
infiltrator only really requires 3 things maxed:

class passive, take every evolution that increases weapon damage

cloak, damage on 4 and sniper damage on 6

disruptor ammo, damage on 4, headshot on 5, damage on 6

rest is all up to how you want to play things.

I suggest energy drain for bonus power. it is boosted by cloak and deals with the only thing holding sniper rifles back, shield gate. I go radius and damage.
---
it's not easy being this awesome and modest
#8xKryptonKnightxPosted 3/2/2014 1:19:14 AM(edited)
Eh, lets start with a simple question. What bonus powers do you currently have available? Also, save up credits so you can buy a black widow.
---
Proper Preparation & Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance
GT: Marvel Maverick
#9code_kirinPosted 3/2/2014 2:36:34 AM
Infiltrator is overpowered even with just Cloak, Incinerate, and Sabotage maxed. You don't even really need cloak maxed, but I recommend it if you want to use snipers. Spec cloak for damage. Incinerate for radius, burning, and armor damage. Sabotage for duration, explosive hack, tech vulnerability.

The key here is tech vulnerability. It'll double all tech damage, including tech combos. It takes a little practice, but with the help of squadmates like EDI and Garrus, you'll be able to chain tech bursts and fire explosions with a 100% multiplier. That multiplier gets even sillier when you're shooting off cloak-boosted incinerates.

For best effect, I recommend Flare bonus power from omega DLC for crowd control (not bosses; it sucks against them). If you don't have access to that, then just pick anything really. As for weapon choice, anything strong while not being too heavy works. Mattock is a fine choice if no DLC is available.
---
Pokemon Y FC: 1134-7624-5851
#10pprincessPosted 3/8/2014 10:19:04 AM(edited)
I have a guide on Infiltrator Insanity in the FAQ section, but I'll repeat a couple of build issues here. For Cloak, take Recharge Speed at rank 5, and Bonus Power at Rank 6, then take Stasis as your Bonus Power and the extra Power at rank 6. If you are level 58-60, wearing Rosenkov armor pieces for recharge speed with this build you can fire off 3 powers while cloaked, remain in cloak almost all the time, and virtually infinite stasis use.

On some missions with shotgun you also have the headshot bonus and can fire up close under cloak. Stasis also fills in a weakness of the class which is lacking in a crowd control ability. Liara can fill in with crowd control but she is hard to keep alive on Insanity compared to the more tanky James and Kaiden. I personally like sticky grenade which I use on Brutes along with James' grenades and Incendiary ammo. You can take off all but a couple bars of a Brute when one of the grenades detonates the ammo effect.