The Tragedy of Shepard (spoilers)

#1LordTrinenPosted 4/23/2014 4:12:27 PM
I like to roleplay Shepard a little bit during playthroughs to spice things up a bit each time I play. Got a new idea for my next playthrough.

A bit of tragedy can spice up a story and I've got a few ideas for a new tragic story for Shepard.

I was thinking of making it a FemShep. She experiences numerous tragedies in her life. She lost her family on Mindoir. She lost her squad on Akuze. She started to romance Kaiden in ME1 but a tactical decision forced her to leave him on Virmire. In ME2 she romances Thane but of course loses him in ME3. In the end she has had enough and chooses either Control or Synthesis, endings that save the galaxy but let her be at peace.

I've thought of two ways to do this playthrough.

1) Because of all her tragedies Shepard is obsessed with trying to protect life. Every chance she gets to save or spare someone, she takes it. Needless to say she is pure Paragon.

2) All her tragedies has left Shepard a bit numb to death. As a result it follows her everywhere. She guns down the Feros colonists. She abandons the Council. Maybe she guns down Ashley during the Council confrontation in ME3? I'm even thinking of making this the first playthrough where not everyone makes it out of the Suicide Mission alive. Needless to say this Shepard's memorial wall is pretty full.

Which way do you think I should play? If the second choice, who should live and who should die? What should I do with Wrex? Samara/Morinth? Legion?

Also what class do you think would fit this Shepard? Right now I'm leaning towards Infiltrator.
#2Q SlickPosted 4/23/2014 7:28:48 PM
So in other words, 1) Save everyone you possibly can or 2) Kill everyone you possibly can.

I do remember trying something similar to #2 with a Dragon Age character, but I ultimately failed at it because I decided that some people were so pathetic that they weren't worth killing.

But as far as recommendations, I'd say go with #1. Especially since you seem to have ruled out going with the Destroy ending.

As to what class, I'm not the one to ask. It's become apparent to me that I suck way too much at ME games to offer any meaningful advice about classes.
---
Aha! May Della depart a Nissan as Sinatra pedalled Yamaha?
#3ClaycrusherPosted 4/23/2014 9:34:57 PM
I've always wanted to do a Colonist Akuze Shepard that just... broke... mentally after everything he went through. Prone to outbursts of violence, but also completely unpredictable.
#4pprincessPosted 4/24/2014 8:17:57 AM
The Destroy ending goes better with a "preserve life" play because it is about destroying all machines in favor of organic life. Javik addresses this during Legion's stay on the Normandy, saying that organic life is a mystery, with no knowledge of its origins and purpose for existing. Machines know their purpose, and have no limit to their lifespan, and in knowing organic have a time limit and no clear purpose is what leads machines to wonder why organics need to live at all, and encourages machines to try and take control for themselves, Hence the Control ending is a machine decision, and indoctrination. The Intelligence is the only machine construct to realize this.
#5CaelestinePosted 4/24/2014 9:09:50 AM
Since both 1) and 2) comes from the same seed of tragedy. I think it may be interesting for you to play out the 2 variations where Shepard have the same motivation : Seen so much death -> Wanted to stop more people from dying. But 1.) did choosing life no matter what cost. Problem is, she always choose the spare life option sometimes to the detriment for the long term. 2.) carries out this motivation by minimize loss and her problem is she doesn't have too much faith and hope that things would work out for the better themselves and always use the kill option to prevent further loss of lifes.

And yeah, 1.) would likely choose either Destroy or Refused and 2.) choose control.
#6roo10158Posted 4/24/2014 11:16:05 AM(edited)
Inb4 obligatory blogfaqs gif
---
Will preorder- Mass Effect 4 CE. Preordered- Watchdogs CE PS4 & Arkham Knight PS4
Top 5 franchises- Mass Effect, Mario, Sonic, Batman, & Pokemon
#7ambz1025Posted 4/26/2014 3:03:17 PM
I always do a Female Shepard. Thought about going with a male but since I'm female I figured I would stick to my gender, for now. I have only played through ME3 once and I didn't have the EC installed at the time. I hear that Shepard lives. I also hear that they are making a ME4. There is no way they can bring Shepard back, can they? I mean, they killed him/her off for a reason, right?
#8NefhithPosted 4/26/2014 3:14:46 PM
roo10158 posted...

I don't think so.

By the way, I'd go with 1. Do a poll.
---
"panda is probably a rocket launcher" - MisterBellic
#9LordTrinen(Topic Creator)Posted 4/26/2014 3:32:44 PM
ambz1025 posted...
I always do a Female Shepard. Thought about going with a male but since I'm female I figured I would stick to my gender, for now. I have only played through ME3 once and I didn't have the EC installed at the time. I hear that Shepard lives. I also hear that they are making a ME4. There is no way they can bring Shepard back, can they? I mean, they killed him/her off for a reason, right?

Shepard seemingly survives in a high EMS Destroy ending. Regardless, Bioware has said repeatedly that Shepard's story is done. We don't know much about ME4 but Shepard will not be in it.

You really need to get the EC. It's free after all.
#10BushidoEffect3Posted 4/27/2014 12:57:17 AM
roo10158 posted...

inb4 shinigami and yamatoo preaching their hate for this "crap" of a game. =)
---
http://i.minus.com/ibgMA0LFIXHWnz.gif