So...I don't think Garrus is a very good C-SEC officer

#11Ryan-06Posted 5/7/2014 5:26:07 AM
Garrus sucks.

This is actually something me and tc agree on for once, all past fights aside. I remember making this.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/995452-mass-effect-3/68386005

Preach it. Overrated alien guy. In fact Shinigami was the 3rd post to say he doesn't like Garrus either!

But he hates me now T_____T lol.
---
chart: http://ow.ly/uuJ6g
chocolate: http://ow.ly/t0gvj, http://ow.ly/t0g1Y
#12Nafzger(Topic Creator)Posted 5/7/2014 6:31:16 AM
What I'm saying is that I think his lack of training and his own short-comings have led to him becoming the cop on the edge type of guy. Another thing I'd like to bring up is that throughout the series, they kind of condemn Harkin for the same things. He's more of a dirty cop in some respects but it's just two sides of the bad coin. Both Harkin and Garrus are completely selfish, didn't get the proper training, or weren't cut out for a job in C-Sec. I totally understand that it's hard not to get emotionally involved in your cases, but you just have to focus on the mission itself and less your superiors take the heat for bad calls.

I get that they wanted to give him that Dirty Harry vibe, but I don't see Harry Callahan shooting down a blimp and letting it crash into San Francisco because some serial killer organ harvester was on board.

But bein serious, he'd be an even more boring character if he were a by the book type guy. It'd be like teaming up with Carl Winslow.
---
XBL:ArsenalofGlory | PSN: Nafzger
#13BeefstakPosted 5/7/2014 6:43:59 AM
Nafzger posted...
I get that they wanted to give him that Dirty Harry vibe, but I don't see Harry Callahan shooting down a blimp and letting it crash into San Francisco because some serial killer organ harvester was on board.

But bein serious, he'd be an even more boring character if he were a by the book type guy. It'd be like teaming up with Carl Winslow.

Two things. You also didn't see Garrus shoot down a spaceship with an organ harvester in it. He may not have liked it, but for the most part he followed his orders.

Also, , teaming up with Carl Winslow would be awesome! You talk to him by the mako and he says, "Yeah that was my last day on the force, when I finally snapped and beat that dorky kid next door for always coming over and trying to bang my daughter right in front of me." His name was Steeeeve!
---
Your people had times like these, cause in our cycle this is pretty rare.
#14Urdnot_RuntPosted 5/7/2014 7:10:54 AM(edited)
It's not fair at all to compare him to Harkin because Harkin is a bad cop because he's just a bad apple with no morals. The only part of the job Harkin is good at is turning a blind eye to injustice and corruption or seeing it and letting it slide. And that *is* a reality of the job to some extent and is the part that Garrus has so much trouble with. Garrus is a bad cop because he's moral to a fault. Regardless of whether you agree with his decisions on a personal level, he has a moral code that seems to take precedent over anything and everything else.

Instead of looking at it as a bad thing, look at it as a symptom of just being meant for greater things. Like working above the law for a Spectre to save the galaxy.
#15pprincessPosted 5/7/2014 7:29:42 AM
Garrus is a better soldier than cop, he likes an identified enemy that he can kill, he would rather snipe than talk. He differs from Wrex in that he will kill for free, whereas Wrex prefers to be paid.
#16CaelestinePosted 5/7/2014 10:00:10 AM
No kidding. Garrus turn into the Archangel (batman). I hope our police force actively try to screen out the latent vigilante from their ranks.
#17pprincessPosted 5/7/2014 2:08:15 PM
Although to be fair to Garrus' story, the Mass Effect comic that tells what happened after the SR 1 was destroyed, Garrus was unable to comply with either the spectre program or C-Sec because of his rage, grief and disillusionment over Shepard's death. And that the rage led him to form his vigilante group. It would be fair to say that Garrus had distressing circumstances and he was not acting as he might otherwise. Even Shepard says this over all the revenge, "this isn't like you," and Harkin says the same.
#18Nafzger(Topic Creator)Posted 5/7/2014 7:48:03 PM
Garrus is not Batman. Garrus is Frank Castle. Batman doesn't kill. Nor is Garrus as cunning a detective as Batman.
---
XBL:ArsenalofGlory | PSN: Nafzger
#19pprincessPosted 5/8/2014 1:57:16 AM
Pretty good analogy! But Frank Castle thrived as a loner. Garrus never sleeps well, except when he is in a romance with FemShep. Then he speaks of good sleep and having a family. In that sense, Garrus ends up more multidimensional than Castle.
#20iamdanthamanPosted 5/8/2014 11:02:37 AM
Nafzger posted...

Well, Garrus as Carl Winslow could be great, but only if you also had Mordin in a Steve Urkel role. Remember the episode when there were some bullies or a gang or something, and Carl and Steve fused their DNA with a sample of Bruce Lee's hair and went down and beat the living crap out of them? That was great. Also his cloning machine from the series finale could've come in handy during the end of Mass Effect 3.
---
All your base are belong to us