grr. frequently you enter a cutscene, which ends with you back on normandy!

#1dbouyaPosted 3/7/2012 5:32:18 AM(edited)
so you're on a planet, looking around, then blammo, cutscene... cutscene ends... you're back on the ship! you can never go back to the planet surface EVER... so uh... what if you weren't done looking around? huh?

total linearity in that regard, it's utter bull, so what if the mission is finished, there's that medkit a few inches away I was planning to walk over to, but instead through no choice of my own i'm back on normandy, and i can never go back to the planet, that's not how earlier me's did it!

you need a bloody walkthrough just to be able to tell when you will be warped back onto your ship or not.!
#2dbouya(Topic Creator)Posted 3/7/2012 4:20:58 PM
so far this has happened to me on 2 out of the 4missions I've done.

once I actually saw an item I wanted to loot/interact with and as I approach it, I magically just cutscene warped to normandy never to return!

this is pretty heavily scripted linear level design, to literally take like 2steps past something, then lose the chance to interact with it forever, for no reason, not plot reason, it wasn't urgent to leave, people just talked a bunch then slowly walked back to the Normandy (off camera and without giving me the chance to double back and pick anything up)

the game design might be non-linear, but the level design is worse than ff13, it's sad
#3Shifter1178Posted 3/7/2012 4:22:41 PM
Same problem. Mission, there are some items near the "trigger" for a cutscene...move to go to them..cutscene starts.

Huh? Why was there items there if I couldn't get to them. This only means I would have had to run through an entire battlefield full of mobs, to get those items illogically..before battle trigger ended, which enabled the cutscene trigger.

Don't like at all.
#4myztikricePosted 3/7/2012 4:25:21 PM
Do you have any specific examples of this? The past 4-6 missions I've done they always have you talk to someone when you're ready, enter the dropoff ship when you're ready, or there weren't any items to collect anyways.
---
Why are you always smiling?
'Cause it's all so ****in' hysterical.
#5dbouya(Topic Creator)Posted 3/9/2012 4:49:10 PM
myztikgohan posted...
Do you have any specific examples of this? The past 4-6 missions I've done they always have you talk to someone when you're ready, enter the dropoff ship when you're ready, or there weren't any items to collect anyways.

1) it doesn't matter if there are any items to pickup or not, because well frankly, you can't be sure of that fact because you can't check, so how do you know?

2) uh let's see... palaven is the worst offender, the dlc mission a minor offender, mars a minor offender imo... I'm only ~4hours in so I don't have a ton of examples, maybe later in the game this bull will stop?
#6Argus9Posted 3/9/2012 4:50:16 PM
Welcome to Mass Effect, how may I help you?
#7foodeater4Posted 3/9/2012 4:53:54 PM
Well on Mars, you can easily get everything your not forced anywhere. I even failed the end a few times too look around

Palven: again you easily spend all the time you want in the beginning and look around, after the ending battle to you can still look around before you speak the npc.

DLC: You can easily get everything here too, once the end battle happens, yeah you can look, but its pretty obvious when your going back to wrap up the mission.
#8dbouya(Topic Creator)Posted 3/9/2012 9:48:29 PM
foodeater4 posted...
Well on Mars, you can easily get everything your not forced anywhere. I even failed the end a few times too look around

Palven: again you easily spend all the time you want in the beginning and look around, after the ending battle to you can still look around before you speak the npc.

DLC: You can easily get everything here too, once the end battle happens, yeah you can look, but its pretty obvious when your going back to wrap up the mission.

mars: this is a pretty thin excuse, why should you fail because you want to look for an easter egg around back?

palaven: you are flat out wrong here, you never speak to the final npc, at all, once the enemies are dead, and you're within sight of the npc, the cutscene triggers instantly, often it triggers as you are walking up towards an upgrade sitting nearby.

dlc: it's not that obvious, and even if it were obvious, it's stupid, why not simply do the first cutscene, leave us all on the planet, then make me walk back to the normandy, or make me talk to someone or something, why go through so much content without any user choice? what if I wanted to search for more notes to help the alliance after freeing my friend?

for an action game these sorts of things are excusable, and par for the course, for an rpg they aren't though.