ME3 Ending Explained (Or How There is Really No Ending) ***SPOILERS

#1FireFlashXPosted 3/13/2012 4:05:25 PM
*SPOILERS* I'm writing this post to help everyone at understanding the ending. It seems to be pretty well accepted now that the ending is actually an illusion/dream sequence. I'm not going to go over every single detail, but more or less outline what happens so you can think on it some more. Also, Bioware devs have stated on Twitter that if people knew what was in store for the game, they wouldn't be upset about the ending. Yeah, that's right. Because the ending is no more than just a conclusion to Shepard's resolve. It doesn't resolve the physical world of the series. It simply gives Shepard the tools to finish the job.

- The game up to the point of Shepard blacking out happens (important).
- When Shepard "wakes up" he/she is actually undergoing indoctrination at his/her weakest moment (wounded from the battle).
- From here on in, the ending part of the game takes place in Shepard's head.
- Shepard meets the "God Child" which if you listen carefully, is highly suspicious in and of itself. Refers to itself as both separate from the Reapers but also as "us," not to mention both male and female Shepard voices can be heard when it talks. It is also the image of Shepard's dreams, etc.
- The God Child is trying to trick Shepard into saving the Reapers (It's an illusion of form in order to make it easier to persuade Shepard). It's a lot harder to resist indoctrination than it is succumb to it (Illusive Man, Saren, etc.) But Shepard can, because he/she always has the mentality of destroying the Reapers from even back to the first game.
- When all is said and done, Shepard has to make a choice (which you only get with a high enough score).
- If you are not as prepared as you can be, Shepard cannot resist indoctrination, and therefore the Reapers still "win" no matter the ending.
- All "endings" except for one result in the Reapers winning. Only choosing to destroy the Reapers (goal since the first game) will save everyone.
-Comments such as "you will destroy all synthetic life" are not actually true, since Shepard may think he/she is actually making the decision, but it's really just a mental decision to overcome Reaper indoctrination.
- With the best score, you can chose to control, synthesize, or destroy.
- ONLY "DESTROYING THE REAPERS/SYNTHETIC LIFE" WILL GIVE YOU THE SCENE WHERE SHEPARD GASPS FOR AIR AMONGST THE RUBBLE.
- Now, notice how you get that scene after all the other ending scenes except for the one after the credits? Shepard just successfully avoided indoctrination. He/she is waking up both metaphorically, and to make the right decision.
- The tropical planet scene is irrelevant in the sense that it's just Shepard's imagination (also of note, your companions cannot magically be at London with you then suddenly in the Normandy).
- The destruction of the mass relays is likely metaphorical for the indoctrination attempt coming to an end whether you failed or succeeded. The citadel+crucible is also not destroyed.
- The scene with the grandfather and grandchild is very generic. I'm sure it may be important too, but it's done generically enough such that any ending can match with it. It also takes place in a future where Shepard has since become a legend.

Now the question is, whether or not Shepard evaded the indoctrination attempt, did he/she make the most important decision in the game in the real world? Personally, I think this is where there will be some form of expansion on the game, and we will play out what actually happens now that Shepard has "won" by not becoming indoctrinated, and thus able to fulfill his/her duty to destroy the Reapers in the real world this time. Perhaps if you were indoctrinated, you may get another chance against it down the road, or maybe there is no more game for you (a la ME2 ending in which you mange to get killed).

So basically Bioware has left us with more questions than we had going into the game.
#2OmegalynxPosted 3/13/2012 4:13:49 PM
You explained what this all means if you're correct, but you fail to provide proof that it is in fact indoctrination.

This topic is pretty much just a "what if?"
---
Final Fantasies I have left to beat: Just FF3
#3gadragodPosted 3/13/2012 4:17:44 PM

I like your analysis, I just wish BioWare would come out and say, "Yeah, we were f***in with ya."

#4gadragodPosted 3/13/2012 4:19:30 PM

Also, as Omega stated, can we be 100% sure it's indoctrination? I think that the hallucination and indoctrinations theories bleed together after a certain point. I only lean toward the indoctrination theory because of the whispers that you hear.

#5FireFlashX(Topic Creator)Posted 3/13/2012 4:34:27 PM
Omegalynx posted...
You explained what this all means if you're correct, but you fail to provide proof that it is in fact indoctrination.

There's enough proof videos and topics flying around the internet for all sorts of subtle proof for the indoctrination idea. It should also be pretty obvious that none of the "ending" actually happens, since Normandy was in space, and your teammates in London. They suddenly did not get sent onto the Normandy in the middle of a the battle they were waging on Earth. It's also obvious that the child is trying to trick you because destroying the Reapers is lighted in red, and controlling is lit in blue. When has that ever been the case for renegade/paragon in game? Renegade is obviously "controlling" them, if you think back to how the previous games played out. Why would Anderson suddenly be the anti and the Illusive Man the good guy? This basically confers a warped sense of reality, that Shepard is unconscious. What's right is wrong, and what's wrong is right. Even on Rannoch, the Reapers basically state they are trying to indoctrinate Shepard. Why? Because they want Shepard to fail. The ending is Shepard resisting it all at his/her weakest moment in the game. Even the child in and of itself, is just a figment of Shepard's imagination. Shepard only sees the image of the child for the Reapers to appeal to him/her. You can hear that the child has both the voice of male and female Shepard as well. It's all in Shepard's head.
#6FireFlashX(Topic Creator)Posted 3/13/2012 4:42:10 PM
gadragod posted...
Also, as Omega stated, can we be 100% sure it's indoctrination? I think that the hallucination and indoctrinations theories bleed together after a certain point. I only lean toward the indoctrination theory because of the whispers that you hear.

The indoctrination attempt occurs while Shepard is hallucinating/dreaming. I think the split that occurs is whether or not anything happened in the physical world. It's possible that Shepard is actually hallucinating aboard the Citadel+Crucible the whole time and really does make the decision (instead of unconscious on the battleground), and since Shepard only lives in one ending, he/she only wakes up in one ending. I suspect this is where the Bioware add-ons will come into play.
#7OmegalynxPosted 3/13/2012 4:43:49 PM
FireFlashX posted...
Omegalynx posted...

There's enough proof videos and topics flying around the internet for all sorts of subtle proof for the indoctrination idea.

It's your theory, show me your exact sources for coming to this conclusion.
---
Final Fantasies I have left to beat: Just FF3
#8Gladiator3003Posted 3/13/2012 4:45:31 PM
I always assumed that when you got lasered, and there's the radio chatter of no-one making it to the beam, that your teammates watched your supposed death from the top of the slope, and felt that all hope was lost since you'd just fallen at the final hurdle, and retreated from the battle and attempted to outrun the Reapers in the Normandy. I have a feeling that DLC will be released to explain that what you went through at the end was in the centre of Shep's mind, and that him stirring at the end is where the DLC will start and you'll go and properly destroy the Reapers with the Crucible/Catalyst during the DLC and then have to find a way to be reunited with your teammates or something for a "happy" ending.
---
http://i.imgur.com/IPTEm.gif
GT - Gladiator3003
#9AdenosinePosted 3/13/2012 4:45:34 PM
If that's the ending, then you can say it's just a DLC Portal for the "true" endings...arghhh!

I always hate it when horror movies never really kill off the monsters like Freddy Kreuger or Jason, and now even video games are doing it. Always "it's for the good of the franchise" blah blah blah.

Games need closure, too.
---
http://adenogames.orgfree.com - Adeno's Game Development Website
#10ChazorePosted 3/13/2012 4:46:22 PM
Indoctrination aside. The Destroy ending would be the only one where you can get the 'secret' ending. Because the other two options pretty much show the disintegration of Shep's body.