EA still in running for The Consumerist's Worst Company in America

#1DraconisRexPosted 3/29/2012 8:25:03 AM
Two weeks ago, The Consumerist launched the "Worst Company in America 2012" challenge, featuring 32 businesses from a variety of industries, including gaming, which this year threw three companies into the running: EA, Sony and GameStop.

http://tinyurl.com/cu8t29g

You can see the current bracket here: http://tinyurl.com/cvwnq59

And EA is quite the contender:

2010 WCIA champ Comcast wasn't about to let any of its cable competitors get a shot at the Golden Poo, though it now will face its first real competition in the form of gaming goliath Electronic Arts, which has been tearing up the brackets in its rookie year.

And this was before Mass Effect 3...
---
If you download hacked games to not pay for them. You're a thief. Period.
#2DrPiratePosted 3/29/2012 8:32:13 AM
Is Activision ineligible or something?
---
you can't take the sky from me...
#3EsracPosted 3/29/2012 8:50:05 AM

Educate me here. I can understand why so many people hate EA, but why the Activision flak?
#4Robtcee13Posted 3/29/2012 8:52:22 AM
Esrac posted...
Educate me here. I can understand why so many people hate EA, but why the Activision flak?

Whereas EA tends to go for a subtle style of horrendous business, Activision shoves it in everybody's face, by outright saying they don't care about their consumers and would like to see all of their competitors jump off a bridge into a lake of lava.
---
If you think my name is silly, you should call me either Rob or LaughingThesaurus.
No need for being strictly formal on a message board, right?
#5EsracPosted 3/29/2012 8:53:07 AM

Esrac posted...

Whereas EA tends to go for a subtle style of horrendous business, Activision shoves it in everybody's face, by outright saying they don't care about their consumers and would like to see all of their competitors jump off a bridge into a lake of lava.

Examples?
#6hong123454321Posted 3/29/2012 8:55:19 AM
Esrac posted...
Esrac posted...

Examples?

Google Search Bobby Kotick Quotes and you'll see. He's the guy that said something along the lines of "video games aren't meant to be fun, they're just tools for me to make money" and "I wish I could break Starcraft (or just games in general) into as many parts as I can because it'll make me more money since you idiots will buy it"
#7EsracPosted 3/29/2012 9:10:13 AM(edited)

Esrac posted...
Esrac posted...

Examples?

Google Search Bobby Kotick Quotes and you'll see. He's the guy that said something along the lines of "video games aren't meant to be fun, they're just tools for me to make money" and "I wish I could break Starcraft (or just games in general) into as many parts as I can because it'll make me more money since you idiots will buy it"

Ok. Read a few of his quotes after a quick google search, and I can't say I found anything that would give the impression that Activision is practicing horrendous business or doesn't care about their consumers.

EDIT: Generally, the quotes seem to be about focusing on the most profitable franchises and trying to maximize their profits. Which isn't really a bad thing. That's what they're supposed to be doing.
#8JumalaccaPosted 3/29/2012 9:13:23 AM
Esrac posted...
Ok. Read a few of his quotes after a quick google search, and I can't say I found anything that would give the impression that Activision is practicing horrendous business or doesn't care about their consumers.

EDIT: Generally, the quotes seem to be about focusing on the most profitable franchises and trying to maximize their profits. Which isn't really a bad thing. That's what they're supposed to be doing.

One of his ideas is to have a monthly subscription for CoD without actually changing anything. His logic is "so many people play it, so they should pay us for that." The actual quote was along the lines of how they don't make any money for it outside of initial sales and DLC, and he wanted to change that.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWqFHOnfYro - Skyrim Shuffling Vid
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkm_5HXK65Y - More serious Skyrim vid
#9ScholarMongoosePosted 3/29/2012 9:16:42 AM
I dunno if that says something about him, or something about the players if he thinks they would actually go along with that.
#10EsracPosted 3/29/2012 9:22:32 AM

Esrac posted...

One of his ideas is to have a monthly subscription for CoD without actually changing anything. His logic is "so many people play it, so they should pay us for that." The actual quote was along the lines of how they don't make any money for it outside of initial sales and DLC, and he wanted to change that.

http://consumerist.com/2011/05/next-call-of-duty-will-ask-gamers-to-pay-monthly-fee.html

This is a source I found. Reading about it there, it doesn't sound unreasonable. Hypothetical $8 a month for additional content, non-payers can still play the game normally. That doesn't sound like what you tried to say he said.