A "fond farewell" to the Indoctrination Theory

#1Psydon_t_DragonPosted 4/5/2012 7:13:47 AM
...yeah, right.

It's amazing that people already think the theory is dead when we don't know what the Extended Cut will bring. They don't get it and they never will. IT is real unless Bioware says otherwise, and even then it's still real as long as one person believes in it.

What happens if the ending still sucks even with the Extended Cut? What are you people going to do then? Ask for even more? What if they give you more and the ending still sucks? What if one day they patch away the ending entirely, only to replace it with something completely different but just as bad?

You're stronger than this. Fight it. Break their hold. Don't let them control you. Think for yourselves. If Bioware won't change the ending, then you change it and stand by your vision of the ending, not theirs. Whether that's in support of IT or not doesn't matter. Some fans have proven they can do better; it's time for the rest of us to step up.

Shepard was given the impossible and made it look easy. What's your excuse?

Hold the Line.
---
I am Psydon tha Dragon. Accept no imitations.
#2crunchy612Posted 4/5/2012 7:17:47 AM
Inb4 s***storm. Again.
---
"I prefer 'Infiltrate them and sabotage from inside'." - Nykza
"It's like trading my Longsword for Flashbombs." -Ecc
#3LeBurns63Posted 4/5/2012 7:25:45 AM
I've never been in outer space and I still believe the world is flat. So, that makes it flat right?

Regardless of the vids, I do not believe for a second that BioWarEA actually thought that up. I think some of them wish they did, and that they would love to figure out a way to make some money off of it, but the idea never entered their mind.

I have complete faith that the ending was nothing but a complete botched rush job.
---
I'm glad your opinion differs from mine. What a boring place this world would be if it didn't.
#4ZemPosted 4/5/2012 7:29:58 AM
Obvious troll. Move along folks.
#5ShinesmanOWPosted 4/5/2012 7:30:50 AM
Burhenn63 posted...

I have complete faith that the ending was nothing but a complete botched rush job.

I'm not sure it was a botched rush job, I think it's possible that for some bizarre reason they thought it was a good idea.

The statement (unverified) that a subset of the writing team worked "in secret" on the ending makes sense, because tunnel vision on the part of someone with no literary merit whatsoever (i.e. a manager or a programmer) explains it pretty well.

The indoctrination theory is just desperate flailing on the part of fans who have just as little literary sense as the people who wrote the ending...
#6DraconisRexPosted 4/5/2012 7:40:49 AM
Psydon_t_Dragon posted...
...yeah, right.

It's amazing that people already think the theory is dead when we don't know what the Extended Cut will bring. They don't get it and they never will. IT is real unless Bioware says otherwise, and even then it's still real as long as one person believes in it.

[blah, blah, blah..].

lol. You really have this denial thing down, don't you? The indoctrination theory is something you and other fanboys made up because BioWare's lead writer left the project and the follow-up writers sucked.

This was the ending:

Karpyshyn wrote the first Mass Effect script and was heavily involved with the second, but quit the Mass Effect team midway through to work on the recently released Star Wars: The Old Republic. Posting on SomethingAwful (via Gameranx), he tells a tantalising tale of Dark Energy, species preservation and humanity's unique genetic advantages, touched on at several points in Mass Effect 1 and 2. You might remember Dark Energy from the Haelstrom mission in Mass Effect 2, or from the Arrival DLC. According to various growly internet hintings, it makes the Reapers look about as menacing as a slightly wilted Greek salad.

"The Reapers' goal was to find a way to stop the spread of Dark Energy which would eventually consume everything. That's why there was so much foreshadowing about Dark Energy in ME," Karpyshyn wrote.

"The Reapers as a whole were 'nations' of people who had fused together in the most horrific way possible to help find a way to stop the spread of the Dark Energy. The real reason for the Human Reaper was supposed to be the Reapers saving throw because they had run out of time. Humanity in Mass Effect is supposedly unique because of its genetic diversity and represented the universe's best chance at stopping Dark Energy's spread.

"The original final choice was going to be 'Kill the Reapers and put your faith in the races of the galaxy in finding another way to stop the spread with what little time is left' or 'Sacrifice humanity, allowing them to be horrifically processed in hopes that the end result will justify the means.'

You might also remember the Collector plague. The one the Vorcha were spreading. You might remember Mordin talking about human's being unusually diverse in their genetic make up.

Suddenly the whole indoctrination theory looks pretty stupid when you consider that there was NO FORESHADOWING, DESPITE YOUR WISHFUL THINKING, FOR IT and the LEAD FRIGGIN' WRITER has told what was happening and why...

Only to leave and have the story butchered by the B-Team who tacked on an ending half-assed-cobbled-together from Deus EX and Matrix 3.

This wasn't 'clever.' This was INEPT.
---
If you download hacked games to not pay for them. You're a thief. Period.
#7Psydon_t_Dragon(Topic Creator)Posted 4/5/2012 7:48:24 AM
I've never been in outer space and I still believe the world is flat. So, that makes it flat right?

Fiction can be interpreted in different ways. Reality, outside of philosophy, can't.

The indoctrination theory is just desperate flailing on the part of fans who have just as little literary sense as the people who wrote the ending...

Even though IT makes sense.

You really have this denial thing down, don't you?

Yup. As does Commander Shepard herself. If it's good enough for Shepard, it's good enough for me.

This was the ending:

That makes less sense than IT. In fact, it makes only a little more sense than the Catalyst ending.

This wasn't 'clever.' This was INEPT.

Consider this for a moment. Okay, maybe they didn't intend it (even though we know they did because of the Final Hours app), but so what? Haven't you ever heard of "death of the author"? Why is an interpretation that makes sense and fits the story so invalid just because it wasn't the creators' intention (even though it was)?

Yes, the execution was inept. Had they been able to create their original idea it might not have been much better. Again, so what?
---
I am Psydon tha Dragon. Accept no imitations.
#8Mr_SkullheadPosted 4/5/2012 7:50:13 AM
contrary to popular belief, things to not happen just because you believe really hard. you just end up with an aneurysm
#9ShinesmanOWPosted 4/5/2012 8:19:28 AM
Psydon_t_Dragon posted...

Yes, the execution was inept. Had they been able to create their original idea it might not have been much better. Again, so what?

Finally, an admission from Psydon that he agrees that BioWare is incompetent, at least on this one thing.

I guess if you're just playing ME for the shooty bits you won't care. The multiplayer is pretty good, honestly, even if it is a bit repetitive.
#10mimycriPosted 4/5/2012 8:33:22 AM
I can't comprehend why the reapers think organic civilizations can't comprehend their reasons. Even this dark energy stuff won't explain that...
Also.. how do you combat dark energy? Well I would use it up! The mass relays the biotics, the war gears, everything uses dark energy. So do the reapers - in fact they use much-much more then the largest dreadnoughts.
Ofc.. there was this mission in ME2 where it was indicated that E0 is not producing energy, but it rather channels the closest gravitational wells, making the source unstable.. hence - and this wasn't mentioned - black holes kind of make it uhh safe on the long run as a source? Whatever..