Weapons for Manguard

#1ShinesmanOWPosted 4/9/2012 11:23:13 AM
No, not another rant about shotguns.

Historically on Manguard I've used a scoped/barreled Avenger as my backup weapon for situations where I'd rather not charge. I've also tried Predator (of course) and the Locust (not that different from Avenger, but more accuracy and less damage doesn't help against Banshees, Brutes, and Atlases).

What do other people use? Obviously must be 200% capable. With the 20% weight reduction are there additional good options? Is the Disciple or Carnifex ever light enough?

As a side question, how exactly do armor piercing mods work? I've always assumed it's a flat damage boost against the yellow stuff. Again, the B, B, and A are the targets of interest and all are armored. SMG's lacking AP makes me suspect the Tempest isn't the droid I'm looking for, and if AP is a meaningful boost I might ditch the scope for the assault rifle and use that and the barrel.
#2GamemakoPosted 4/9/2012 11:29:35 AM
ShinesmanOW posted...
What do other people use? Obviously must be 200% capable. With the 20% weight reduction are there additional good options? Is the Disciple or Carnifex ever light enough?

Yes, you can carry the Disciple or Carnifex even without the 20% weight thing. No, there is no good reason to use a Disciple when you could be using a Carnifex. The Paladin also weighs the same as the Carnifex and Disciple (1.0 -> 0.5), but it will take considerably longer to reach 200%.

ShinesmanOW posted...
As a side question, how exactly do armor piercing mods work? I've always assumed it's a flat damage boost against the yellow stuff. Again, the B, B, and A are the targets of interest and all are armored. SMG's lacking AP makes me suspect the Tempest isn't the droid I'm looking for, and if AP is a meaningful boost I might ditch the scope for the assault rifle and use that and the barrel.

AP is good for weapons that deal low damage per shot. This includes the Avenger. However, the Avenger has poor DPS in the first place. Just use a Carnifex instead. Don't bother with the AP mod on the Carnifex.
---
One can only wonder at how such idiocy invariably comes to power.
ESTIMATE THE CATACLYSM. CALCULATE THE APOCALYPSE.
#3sb6Posted 4/9/2012 11:36:35 AM
Until I've got a X Mattock, I'm using my X Avenger as my basic go to gun for any class. I use an ammo mod and AP mod. Frankly, I find the scope mods to be absolutely useless on ARs (and I certainly wouldn't use them on SMGs or pistols). So frankly, drop the scope.
#4ShinesmanOW(Topic Creator)Posted 4/9/2012 11:55:03 AM
sb6 posted...
Until I've got a X Mattock, I'm using my X Avenger as my basic go to gun for any class. I use an ammo mod and AP mod. Frankly, I find the scope mods to be absolutely useless on ARs (and I certainly wouldn't use them on SMGs or pistols). So frankly, drop the scope.

Is Mattock ever 200%?
#5GamemakoPosted 4/9/2012 12:00:51 PM(edited)
sb6 posted...

Then you're really, really, really new to the game.

1. Mattock X isn't practical for Vanguards in the first place.
2. Avenger X is thoroughly outdone by Predator X.
3. Ammo mods are ineffective for all but one gun, IIRC. Mathed it out previously.
4. It's extremely useful to have at least one scoped weapon. If you only have one weapon in the first place, you're kinda stuck. Only time you'd think about dropping the scope is with the Mattock or Rev, which have very high recoil and demand a stability mod. In those cases, you trade damage for accuracy. Of course, you shouldn't be using the Rev anyway because it sucks.

Also, I suspect that Shinesman is more experienced than you if you don't have a Mattock X yet.

//EDIT:
ShinesmanOW posted...
Is Mattock ever 200%?

No, never.
---
#6sb6Posted 4/9/2012 4:55:21 PM
Gamemako posted...
sb6 posted...

Then you're really, really, really new to the game.

1. Mattock X isn't practical for Vanguards in the first place.
2. Avenger X is thoroughly outdone by Predator X.
3. Ammo mods are ineffective for all but one gun, IIRC. Mathed it out previously.
4. It's extremely useful to have at least one scoped weapon. If you only have one weapon in the first place, you're kinda stuck. Only time you'd think about dropping the scope is with the Mattock or Rev, which have very high recoil and demand a stability mod. In those cases, you trade damage for accuracy. Of course, you shouldn't be using the Rev anyway because it sucks.

Also, I suspect that Shinesman is more experienced than you if you don't have a Mattock X yet.

//EDIT:
ShinesmanOW posted...
Is Mattock ever 200%?

No, never.

I'm not new to it.

1. I was speaking in general, I don't use Vanguards anyways.
2. Not in my experience. Even if it was, I honestly couldn't care less.
3. How so? The extended barrel does little benefit at level 1, and the stability mod is unnecessary. Until I get my barrel and AP mods leveled up properly, I'm sticking with Ammo and AP.
4. Why would it be useful? If I'm trying to hit something from afar I would use a sniper rifle, or do it from cover. The only other weapon I'd consider using a scope on is a Carnifex or Paladin. I prefer damage and AP over something I don't utilize at all. Failing those, I use the ammo mod.

I've owned the game since it came out. Whether or not he has a Mattock X and I don't is irrelevant. The items come randomly. I also don't mind not having a 200% bonus with the Mattock. I'd be using it as a trade off for better weapon damage. If I play gold I'd just go with a pistol or the Avenger fox my engineer.
#7GamemakoPosted 4/9/2012 5:20:35 PM
sb6 posted...

Read thread title. This thread is about Vanguards.

sb6 posted...

Going into an advice thread and offering bad advice because you don't care? I think we have a winner here, folks!

sb6 posted...
3. How so? The extended barrel does little benefit at level 1, and the stability mod is unnecessary. Until I get my barrel and AP mods leveled up properly, I'm sticking with Ammo and AP.

Extended barrel I adds 15% damage. For all but 2 or 3 weapons, that's more added to your DPS than a level 5 ammo mod.

sb6 posted...
4. Why would it be useful? If I'm trying to hit something from afar I would use a sniper rifle, or do it from cover. The only other weapon I'd consider using a scope on is a Carnifex or Paladin. I prefer damage and AP over something I don't utilize at all. Failing those, I use the ammo mod.

Aim for the head and you'll double your damage output. There aren't exactly a lot of worthwhile weapons which aren't best used this way.

sb6 posted...
I also don't mind not having a 200% bonus with the Mattock.

This is a thread about human Vanguards. If you're increasing your cooldown times, you're dead already. Now, if you're a Turian Sentinel, would you use a Mattock? Well, hell, sure. It has the best DPS of any assault rifle, and after the little buff it got, it's now actually able to out-DPS damn near everything against non-armored targets.
---
#8sb6Posted 4/9/2012 9:10:26 PM
Gamemako posted...
sb6 posted...

Read thread title. This thread is about Vanguards.

sb6 posted...

Going into an advice thread and offering bad advice because you don't care? I think we have a winner here, folks!

sb6 posted...

Extended barrel I adds 15% damage. For all but 2 or 3 weapons, that's more added to your DPS than a level 5 ammo mod.

sb6 posted...

Aim for the head and you'll double your damage output. There aren't exactly a lot of worthwhile weapons which aren't best used this way.

sb6 posted...
I also don't mind not having a 200% bonus with the Mattock.

This is a thread about human Vanguards. If you're increasing your cooldown times, you're dead already. Now, if you're a Turian Sentinel, would you use a Mattock? Well, hell, sure. It has the best DPS of any assault rifle, and after the little buff it got, it's now actually able to out-DPS damn near everything against non-armored targets.

1. Well aren't you observant.

2. What is the difference in DPS then?

3. It's not only about DPS. It's also about your clips lasting longer and having more ammo overall. Not everything revolves around that.

4. That's somewhat obvious. I don't need a scope to do that.

Fair enough on the last point.
#9DangaardPosted 4/9/2012 9:14:43 PM
Don't even bother with this mako =_=
---
Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government.
#10sb6Posted 4/9/2012 9:16:04 PM
Dangaard posted...
Don't even bother with this mako =_=

Pig-headedness wins the day!