Bob "Movie Bob" Chipman speaks about ME3 ending reformists.

#1Deep_FieldPosted 4/10/2012 6:11:11 PM
I paraphrase:

I won't be doing what a depressingly large number of mass effect fans have been doing in the wake of being disappointed with the ending of the third game.
Demand that it be "fixed" to my specifications and file a F-ing complaint with the federal trade commission.

The fact is, fandom does not equal ownership. You don't have creative rights to something, someone else made just because you like it a hole lot. This is pretty basic stuff.
The audience for books, movies, video games ect. are not in titled to have them meet every single expectation; you buy your ticket, you take you chances. Otherwise no-one would take any creative risk and risk is what making and enjoying art and entertainment is all about.

Making something that really represents you vision, means excepting the risk; not everyone is gonna like it.
if you're just making what you have already determent everyone will like, it's probably not going to be very good.

That's not to say you shouldn't criticize thing that you don't like. You just have to know where the line is between, critiquing the handling of a property and asserting non-existent rights of ownership.

The only way to ensure we get great works of art in any medium is to ensure the artist making it, know that they are as free as possible to take chances.

I'm Bob,
and that's the big picture.

End Paraphrase.

You can watch the episode "Mutants and Masses" of his video column The Big Picture here:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/the-big-picture/5525-Mutants-and-Masses

Smart guy, that Moviebob.
---
BELGIUM HAS SPOKEN
#2GAMER_X_REVIVALPosted 4/10/2012 6:18:19 PM
I could take this guy more seriously if he wasnt from the escapist (which has been shamelessly sucking biowares **** on this issue the whole time)

Also doesnt help that he, like 99% of outsiders looking in throwing in their 2 cents, are just that.

Their extent of knowledge on the matter is "A game came out and people hate the ending". Dont know why they even bother commenting when they dont even take the time to research the issue.
---
Guardian Gamer X
"CE's verbal cruelty is only matched by an eight-armed robot beating multiple baby seals."-PursuitandTie
#3bobhome2Posted 4/10/2012 6:32:53 PM
I don't have much of an opinion on Movie Bob. Beyond the fact that he usually seems incredibly stuck-up.

He hasn't played Mass Effect 3. That's all I going to say.
#4Psydon_t_DragonPosted 4/10/2012 6:46:47 PM
Do not--I repeat, DO NOT--listen to or read a single word MovieBob says regarding Mass Effect 3.

In his Game Overthinker video "Crass Effect" he said clearly that he, as of the video:

1. Has not played ME3, nor even finished ME1.
2. Has neither seen nor talked to anyone about ME3's ending and therefore has no idea what it is.
3. Did not bother to properly research the outcry over ME3's ending.

Anything he says is invalid by default because he doesn't know what he's talking about.
---
I am Psydon tha Dragon. Accept no imitations.
#5EchoBeamPosted 4/10/2012 7:04:53 PM
The fact is, fandom does not equal ownership.

No, my f***ing 80 dollars does. Shut it Bob.

Echo "Echo Beam" Beam.
#6Lord Lu BuPosted 4/10/2012 7:20:24 PM
bobhome2 posted...

And that has what to do with this conversation? This is taking about the outrage and how some people are acting about the ending. Whether or not someone has played the game is irrelevant.
---
Yes, you can say ASS!
#7Lord Lu BuPosted 4/10/2012 7:22:38 PM
EchoBeam posted...

I didn't know buying a COPY of the game gives you ownership of the rights of the ME story.
---
Yes, you can say ASS!
#8pies12Posted 4/10/2012 7:24:58 PM
EchoBeam posted...
The fact is, fandom does not equal ownership.

Echo "Echo Beam" Beam.

That's what you get when you pay for a product you know in advance will be bad.
---
"Obviously it was the most epic bubble hearth of all time."
~FalcownPAUNCH on Dalaran being moved to Northrend.
#9GAMER_X_REVIVALPosted 4/10/2012 7:33:45 PM

bobhome2 posted...

And that has what to do with this conversation? This is taking about the outrage and how some people are acting about the ending. Whether or not someone has played the game is irrelevant.

Its completely relevant lol, please stop posting

The guy shouldnt comment when he really has no idea why people are upset, just like 99% of the people throwing their 2 cents in.

They're all smacked asses just looking to score some page hits, they really have no business even commenting
---
Guardian Gamer X
"CE's verbal cruelty is only matched by an eight-armed robot beating multiple baby seals."-PursuitandTie
#10_FalstaffPosted 4/10/2012 7:39:27 PM
I bet Movie Bob is going to lose some followers this week.
---
9 days to go, and I'm out of here.