In Defense of Mass Effect 3's Ending

#1IceyStunGrenadePosted 4/21/2012 5:01:12 PM
There has been a lot of crap throwing over this game's ending, but I have a serious, fully fleshed out essay defending it in every way! To be honest, I've been living under a rock for a couple months, so I'm not sure if this has been played out yet, BUT, I did search under "Ending" to see if there were any topics like, "No one cares about the ending controversy anymore" and I didn't find anything, so I should be good to go. It's also important to understand that I am taking this seriously and I believe that those who like Mass Effect 3's ending or just higher level thought in general will appreciate my ideas. As for those who hated it, I hope you reconsider your stance. Anyways, here it is, and thanks if you read.

http://habitualcloud.com/?p=522
#2Alvin_the_ElfPosted 4/21/2012 5:03:14 PM
Going to read it. But it's IV before V, not VI.
---
If you believe in the Flying Spaghetti Monster, have accepted him as your lord and savior, and are 100% proud of it, put this in your sig.
#3SKA_Posted 4/21/2012 5:06:22 PM
i stopped reading after the first paragraph after encountering numerous falsehoods. did you really read up on the main complaints of fans or just the by-lines of rhetoric thrown out by EA?

there is no arguing bioware outright lied about ME3, and in particular, it's ending.
---
it's not easy being this awesome and modest
#4clowningPosted 4/21/2012 5:14:22 PM
I find it hard to read past the third paragraph, since right from the beginning you say things that are incorrect.

That said, many of your reasons as to why people say the ME3 ending is bad was not addressed, and the things you do address are irrelevant. It was not an issue of it being sad, nor is it the "artistic integrity" angle that Bioware is using as their defense.

The reason why it's so bad is because it relies on a deus ex machina gimmick, it introduces an essential new character at the end (catalyst kid), it completely discards all sense of narrative cohesion, it creates self contradictory events in some of the endings based on mates exiting the Normandy after they get killed by the Reaper beam, etc.

In other words, there are objective reasons why the ending is bad, none of which you really address. Therefore, your defense is wholly inadequate.
---
It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. ...one begins to twist facts to suit theories.... Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
#5SKA_Posted 4/21/2012 5:25:49 PM
a better person than i clowning, you made it as least 3 times farther.
---
it's not easy being this awesome and modest
#6grand_commanderPosted 4/21/2012 6:07:41 PM
Is that an invitation for me to find the errors, or an actual attempt to form a cogent support of the ending? Because not only does it lead off with a misstatement of what people are upset with and a falsehood about how many questions are answered, but it's full of small errors. I mean, it doesn't even spell Shepard's name right, through the entire post. It's really hard for me to want to read that.
#7pies12Posted 4/21/2012 6:10:52 PM
You are now tracking this topic.
---
"Obviously it was the most epic bubble hearth of all time."
~FalcownPAUNCH on Dalaran being moved to Northrend.
#8GAMER_X_REVIVALPosted 4/21/2012 6:19:28 PM

Let me use this controversy as an excuse to advertise my site passively please, instead of posting my argument here like every other normal poster

No thank you sir, good day
---
Guardian Gamer X
"CE's verbal cruelty is only matched by an eight-armed robot beating multiple baby seals."-PursuitandTie
#9_FalstaffPosted 4/21/2012 6:23:55 PM
TIM is "humanity in it's purest form?" What does that even mean? He may be the perfect example of a control freak, but to say that that makes him purer than other humans would be ignoring many other aspects of the human condition. You also imply that TIM is superior to Anderson because he holds a different perspective than Anderson, however, isn't TIM just as blind as Anderson. He doesn't even consider destruction of the Reapers as an options, just as Anderson doesn't consider control an option.

Why do the Reapers just care about our galaxy? If they're trying to prevent organic life from "restarting" the universe, wouldn't they need to be in every galaxy across the universe to prevent this? Is this idea even within the scope of the ME universe?

Another point. The child isn't really God, as some seem to believe. He may be a demigod, but certainly not God.

All lanes of communication are not necessarily closed, either. There were dozens of quantum entanglement networks in place at the time of ME3, so assuming that those survived, some worlds will still be in contact with one another.

"The 'older' species are... transformed into reapers... The younger species are left alone. The catalyst explains this with an expression of sympathy and hesitance, so it would appear he does not like his job..."
I didn't observe any sympathy or hesitance on the Catalyst's part. Take this small snippet:
Catalyst: The Reapers are mine. I control them. They are my solution.
Shepard: Solution? To what?
Catalyst: Chaos. You bring it on yourselves.

or this one:
Catalyst: We helped them ascend so they could make way for new life, storing the old life in Reaper form.
Shepard: I think we'd rather keep our own form.
Catalyst: No, you can't.

Another question. Is Mass Effect 3 art or entertainment? Is it artistic entertainment or entertaining art? Can it be both and does that make a difference? You say it's art, but the debate is still alive and well today. There is no conclusion, so your entire premise is on shaky ground.

Unfortunately, I don't think you have a good grasp of why many people were disappointed with the ending. You yourself said you've been living under a rock for the past couple of months, so it's understandable why you may have missed the point. If you have the time (about 40 minutes), I recommend watching the following video to get a better understanding of why many fans were upset:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MlatxLP-xs
---
9 days to go, and I'm out of here.
#10Vijay41086Posted 4/21/2012 6:27:50 PM
Also for the record I'm pretty sure it was the illusive man that Anderson was fighting for control against. Just like Shepard. Since they both have to be partially indoctrinated.