Okay just finished Leviathan...what a mind job ** spoilers **

#1Icehound2Posted 12/2/2012 4:35:06 PM
I love how it provided MUCH more clarity from what the Catalyst tells you at the end. But it's a lot of information at once, so lemme see if I got this right.

The "Leviathan" race was the race that the Catalyst mentioned who created the Reapers. They created one Reaper (Harbinger) as the Intelligence that would preserve life, the problem being that organic life continually creates machines that eventually turn on them, resulting in chaos. Thus Harbinger created other Reapers and turned on its own progenitors, ironically seeing them as the threat. Each cycle is the harvest of organic life of the dominant (and thus most threatening) species. Each cycle ends with the birth of a new Reaper, and the harvest cycles will continue until Harbinger finds a solution to the problem, which it hasn't.

Have I got this all right? I can't remember now if Harbinger was the ONLY one created by Leviathan (and Harbinger created the rest) as the Intelligence or if the Leviathans created more than one Reaper and Harbinger was the one who went rogue. Awesome end to the DLC, though. Great insight on the history of the Reapers.
---
M4A78T-E | AMD Phenom II X4 955 Processor 3.21 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 (4 x 4GB) RAM | GeForce GTX 560 Ti 1024 MB
#2GamemakoPosted 12/2/2012 4:49:39 PM(edited)
Icehound2 posted...
The "Leviathan" race was the race that the Catalyst mentioned who created the Reapers. They created one Reaper (Harbinger) as the Intelligence that would preserve life, the problem being that organic life continually creates machines that eventually turn on them, resulting in chaos. Thus Harbinger created other Reapers and turned on its own progenitors, ironically seeing them as the threat. Each cycle is the harvest of organic life of the dominant (and thus most threatening) species. Each cycle ends with the birth of a new Reaper, and the harvest cycles will continue until Harbinger finds a solution to the problem, which it hasn't.

Have I got this all right? I can't remember now if Harbinger was the ONLY one created by Leviathan (and Harbinger created the rest) as the Intelligence or if the Leviathans created more than one Reaper and Harbinger was the one who went rogue. Awesome end to the DLC, though. Great insight on the history of the Reapers.

No. The Catalyst was created by the Leviathan race to solve the conflict between organics and machines. The Leviathans did not have their own problems, but the lesser races they enthralled were constantly getting murdered by their own synthetic creations. To address the conflict that was killing their slaves, the Leviathans created the Catalyst. The Catalyst then betrayed and murdered them, creating the first Reaper, Harbinger, from their bodies. The cycle was the Catalyst's solution to the conflict between organic and synthetic life -- the solution to the question he was posed. I didn't get the impression that it was a stopgap measure, only that Shepard's incursion makes the current solution untenable.

I don't think they've said how many Reapers were made from the Leviathans and their galactic empire, only that the first Reaper was Harbinger.
---
All of the pieces that puzzled their journey are now in position to land.
#3Icehound2(Topic Creator)Posted 12/2/2012 6:02:21 PM
Okay that make sense. For some reason I thought Harbinger was the intelligence, but forgot that the Catalyst WAS the Reaper intelligence. Must have skipped over that. Thanks for clarifying that.
---
M4A78T-E | AMD Phenom II X4 955 Processor 3.21 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 (4 x 4GB) RAM | GeForce GTX 560 Ti 1024 MB
#4VoidSeraphimPosted 12/2/2012 7:31:06 PM
I always wondered what happened to all the people on board the citadel when the reapers took over it. Did they evacuate or were they all killed and harvested?
---
"With kindness comes naivete. Courage becomes foolhardiness. And dedication has no reward..."
#5crunchy612Posted 12/2/2012 8:10:36 PM
Leviathan also made me understand why Harbinger is so f***ing huge compared to the other Reapers.
---
Proud Quitting Returner.
Yancy so kawaii ~ http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mbremyDrun1qlpahho1_500.jpg
#6GamemakoPosted 12/2/2012 9:07:14 PM
VoidSeraphim posted...
I always wondered what happened to all the people on board the citadel when the reapers took over it. Did they evacuate or were they all killed and harvested?

BioWare has answered that many were killed in the initial assault, but there are still survivors fighting at the time of Shepard's action. The Reapers are slow but thorough. It took them 300 years to defeat the Prothean empire, after all.
---
All of the pieces that puzzled their journey are now in position to land.
#7thehelpfulgamerPosted 12/6/2012 1:57:45 AM
Gamemako posted...
VoidSeraphim posted...

BioWare has answered that many were killed in the initial assault, but there are still survivors fighting at the time of Shepard's action. The Reapers are slow but thorough. It took them 300 years to defeat the Prothean empire, after all.

Why couldn't the game tell us that? I find it amazing that nobody at anytime in ME bothered to ask about the people that were on it. They're just all, "The Reapers took the Citadel and moved it to Earth somehow for some reason. Strangely convenient for us since we need it to work the Crucible, but whatever. I feel like there's something to be concerned about considering all the people that lived there.... ah well, I'm sure it's nothing."
---
Bowser: Keeping it real for over 25 years.
#8SKA_Posted 12/6/2012 5:02:56 AM
bioware kills off reegar in an email, them leaving us hanging in game about what is happening inside the citadel is not surprising. ME3 is filled to the brim with crunch time story telling.
---
it's not easy being this awesome and modest
#9thehelpfulgamerPosted 12/6/2012 5:15:28 AM
I'd eat that if it was a cereal.
---
Bowser: Keeping it real for over 25 years.
#10ScarletShinPosted 12/7/2012 9:59:48 AM
bioware kills off reegar in an email, them leaving us hanging in game about what is happening inside the citadel is not surprising. ME3 is filled to the brim with crunch time story telling.

I felt sad when Reegar got killed off. If I had a rifle, I would've shot the sky in his honor.
---
Current serious game: Assassin's Creed Brotherhood
Thoughts: Nothing like Geese-countering to infinity.