Balance change: Charge option

#1Delta123456789Posted 2/13/2013 4:37:39 AM(edited)
Quoted from http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/343/index/9544143/2 :
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Feb 12, 2013
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Biotic Charge Power
- Evolution 5 chance of not causing a cooldown increased from 33% to 50%

Annihilation Field Power
- Evolution 5 damage bonus increased from 50% to 65%

Hydraulic Joints Gear
- Melee damage bonus increased from [5%-15%] to [10%-20%]

Collector Sniper Rifle
- Damage increased from [68.3-85.4] to [73.0-91.3]

Incisor Sniper Rifle
- Damage increased from [93.3-116.6] to [98.0-122.5]

The Charge one sounds interesting. Anyone going to try it in their next build? It would make the power synergy option more useful (e.g. you could link Charge to Smash for a 40% damage bonus), though the lake of 100% shield recharge makes you a lot more fragile.

I guess a Volus Vanguard could make use of it by cloaking, charging at an enemy near an ally, then immediately using Shield Boost to heal the ally (which would make up for the smaller shield refill from charge).
---
DF: So why can a Marauder roll but a multiplayer Turian can't?
Delta1-9: You are fighting female turian husks. You have reach but they have flexibility.
#2liquid sleepPosted 2/13/2013 10:52:49 AM
I have tried it on my Drellguard. It's fun. Of course it was vs. Collector's (U/U/G) so the seeker swarms sometimes got in the way of me charging. That and I was off host.

It's a very fast paced way to play, and potentially a very frustrating one as well. For a vanguard/player that charges a lot it puts a fresh spin on things.
---
This is my sig. There are many like it, but this one is mine...w/o me my sig is useless. w/o my sig, I am useless.
#3GamemakoPosted 2/13/2013 6:53:17 PM
They finally did it. I made that suggestion ages ago, basically pointing out that you'd have to be a fool to take it below 50%. Honestly, it's still naught but novelty, but you at least can't easily demonstrate that it's mathematically inferior. FYI, at this point, it's a mere 4% better on average. The weighted average charges to cooldown can be described by int(x*0.5^x)[0-inf], which is 2.08137. Since your restore 50% per charge, your restore is still only a meager 1.040685 times your shield total on average. That's compared to the without-fail option of 1.00000 times your shield. Since Charge has mediocre DPS on its own, it doesn't make a lot of sense to take it for DPS, either. That means you take on a lot of risk for the sake of some combo utility, but there just aren't a whole lot of powers out there which have combo synergy with Charge as a leader.
---
All of the pieces that puzzled their journey are now in position to land.
#4Danger_ClosePosted 2/13/2013 9:29:39 PM
it would look so damn cool if the melee combat was more extensive
#5SKA_Posted 2/14/2013 12:44:53 AM
still not worth taking, but at least now it is less obvious which is the better choice and you are penalized less for the wrong decision.
---
it's not easy being this awesome and modest
#6Delta123456789(Topic Creator)Posted 2/14/2013 2:39:25 AM
Gamemako posted...
Since Charge has mediocre DPS on its own, it doesn't make a lot of sense to take it for DPS, either. That means you take on a lot of risk for the sake of some combo utility, but there just aren't a whole lot of powers out there which have combo synergy with Charge as a leader.

Indeed. It's a shame because some close range powers could work well in a combo (Smash and Biotic Slash I'm thinking) if only you could fling them out right away rather than having to run behind cover so you aren't brutalised during your long startup animation.

I can't remember, can Charge prime targets? If so Charge and Lash would be a low-cooldown way of producing biotic explosions.

Any thoughts on volus linking it to Shield Boost to compensate for the lack of shield recharge (basically using Charge purely for movement)? I guess you're at risk of throwing a paper character into a firefight, and suffering if the cooldown does trigger or if there's lag.
---
Delta1-9: You are fighting female turian husks. You have reach but they have flexibility.
#7crunchy612Posted 2/14/2013 9:44:29 AM
Charge can't prime.

Lash-Charge-Smash sounds cool tho.
---
Proud Quitting Returner
GC IGN: BlazenFury. Sig also dedicated to the great Gamefaqs GC community. :D
#8SKA_Posted 2/14/2013 11:19:39 AM
lash cant detonate a primed armor enemy, found that out using the batarian adept trying to conserve grenades with a krogan soldier on the team.
---
it's not easy being this awesome and modest
#9Delta123456789(Topic Creator)Posted 2/14/2013 4:30:03 PM
SKA_ posted...
lash cant detonate a primed armor enemy, found that out using the batarian adept trying to conserve grenades with a krogan soldier on the team.

Are you sure about that? I'm pretty sure I've seen Lash set off a biotic explosion, and seem to remember using Warp > Lash to set them off as the Batarian.
---
#10liquid sleepPosted 2/15/2013 1:38:17 AM(edited)
Lash can't detonate armor. To prime or detonate it needs to lift/pull them, which it can't do.
---
This is my sig. There are many like it, but this one is mine...w/o me my sig is useless. w/o my sig, I am useless.