In regards to the Quarian/Geth conflict... *spoilers*

#1Darkblade41Posted 2/10/2014 4:57:00 PM(edited)
Assuming you manage to make peace between them, which is better for getting more overall war assets, rewriting the heretics in ME2 or destroying them?

I know that destroying the heretics gets you less Geth and more Quarian war assets and vice versa for rewriting them, but is there a significant difference between the total war assets you get?
---
http://www.identitytheory.com/idgraphics/zinn10t.jpg *Member of TEAM RIKER & DPBT*
Mariners - Seahawks - Canadiens - Thunder
#2SlashmanSGPosted 2/10/2014 8:43:20 PM
I know that destroying them adds to the points making it possible to make peace, so if you don't it's more possible one of them will get wiped out. I'd call that pretty significant.
---
Fight Science with Wood
http://gifs.gifbin.com/072010/1280303569_walmart-moonwalk.gif http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/8299/0341551001256026444.gif
#3Delta123456789Posted 2/11/2014 1:43:27 AM
Destruction isn't necessary for peace though, I rewrote the heretics and still got it, you just need to make sure you get the other points (making peace between Tali, the trial result, the geth missions in ME3 etc.).

I don't know about war assets I'm afraid, but I'm sure there are guides you can check. You don't need that many for the best ending now Extended Cut is out though, so I wouldn't worry about it.
---
DF: So why can a Marauder roll but a multiplayer Turian can't?
Delta1-9: You are fighting female turian husks. You have reach but they have flexibility.
#4ozzyman314Posted 2/11/2014 7:04:38 AM
I think that Quarians give you slightly more if you destroy the heretics.
Either way, the difference is so minuscule, <50 I believe.

Personally I do prefer to destroy heretics(it's what they deserve). Also because, according to some people peace can be a bit buggy on rare occasions. I've heard people who rewrote heretics but did everything else right(Tali exonerated, Tali/Legion loyal, save admiral etc.) and couldn't get peace.
---
Loading Signature..........
#5Delta123456789Posted 2/11/2014 7:56:33 AM
ozzyman314 posted...
Personally I do prefer to destroy heretics(it's what they deserve).

I'm guessing that was a joke, but the ME2 dilemma is pretty interesting.

Apparently a simple computing error is the only difference between the heretics and other geth, and the other geth are nice enough. If a genetic predisposition toward violence or some particular viewpoint existed among humans would it be fair to fully blame them for acting on it and hold them to the same standard as a normal person? Should you kill them if they act on it, and should you remove it if you can, even if they don't consent? I'm not sure the answer's that simple (especially if instead of some violence gene we are talking about the fundamental conviction of a person, and we can't remove it without completely changing their personality).

It's very tempting to call people evil like the heretics rather than acknowledge they are people like us, and we might well have been pushed in a similar direction had we been in their position and subject to the same influences.
---
Delta1-9: You are fighting female turian husks. You have reach but they have flexibility.
#6ArkhamEscapeePosted 2/11/2014 8:55:02 AM
As far as War Assets go, it comes out about the same either way. If you destroy the heretics, you get more points from the quarians but less from the geth, and if you rewrite them you get less from the quarians but more from the geth; but it's the same number of points either way.
---
PSN Agnol117
http://agnolsfiction.tumblr.com/ <-- My fiction blog
#7ozzyman314Posted 2/11/2014 1:47:06 PM
Delta123456789 posted...
ozzyman314 posted...
Personally I do prefer to destroy heretics(it's what they deserve).

I'm guessing that was a joke, but the ME2 dilemma is pretty interesting.

Apparently a simple computing error is the only difference between the heretics and other geth, and the other geth are nice enough. If a genetic predisposition toward violence or some particular viewpoint existed among humans would it be fair to fully blame them for acting on it and hold them to the same standard as a normal person? Should you kill them if they act on it, and should you remove it if you can, even if they don't consent? I'm not sure the answer's that simple (especially if instead of some violence gene we are talking about the fundamental conviction of a person, and we can't remove it without completely changing their personality).

It's very tempting to call people evil like the heretics rather than acknowledge they are people like us, and we might well have been pushed in a similar direction had we been in their position and subject to the same influences.

No, I'm serious. Same reason why I always kill the Geth. They go on about being "alive", then I'm going to treat them like it. If they make a choice or **** up, they're going to pay for it & suffer the consequences.
---
#8Delta123456789Posted 2/12/2014 1:54:08 AM
ozzyman314 posted...
No, I'm serious. Same reason why I always kill the Geth. They go on about being "alive", then I'm going to treat them like it. If they make a choice or **** up, they're going to pay for it & suffer the consequences.

So making a mistake forfeits your right to exist? Lets forget the heretics for a moment, do the geth deserve death for siding with the reapers in ME3, for choosing life in slavery rather than the death the quarians were about to give them?

Decisions aren't made in a vacuum, circumstances can force or manipulate good people into doing bad things. If you had a kid and they got brainwashed by a cult and did something terrible like killing a person would you blame them for allowing themselves to be indoctrinated? Do the cultists and perhaps the friends, family and society that left the kid vulnerable to it not deserve some share of the blame?

If you were in the kid's place, being sleep-deprived and cut off from the outside world so your only friends and approval came from other cultists, can you be sure you wouldn't start buying what they were selling, if only because they've made the thought of leaving terrifying, ensuring it means you are alone, cut off and hated by all your friends?
---
#9ozzyman314Posted 2/12/2014 2:59:46 AM(edited)
Delta123456789 posted...
ozzyman314 posted...

So making a mistake forfeits your right to exist? Lets forget the heretics for a moment, do the geth deserve death for siding with the reapers in ME3, for choosing life in slavery rather than the death the quarians were about to give them?

Decisions aren't made in a vacuum, circumstances can force or manipulate good people into doing bad things. If you had a kid and they got brainwashed by a cult and did something terrible like killing a person would you blame them for allowing themselves to be indoctrinated? Do the cultists and perhaps the friends, family and society that left the kid vulnerable to it not deserve some share of the blame?

If you were in the kid's place, being sleep-deprived and cut off from the outside world so your only friends and approval came from other cultists, can you be sure you wouldn't start buying what they were selling, if only because they've made the thought of leaving terrifying, ensuring it means you are alone, cut off and hated by all your friends?

When this is you SECOND time making the same mistake(now on a larger scale). Yes you deserve to die because clearly you have learned nothing, and your continued existence would be a danger to the rest of the galaxy.

Foregoing the "heretics". Is submission preferable to extinction? anyone with the slightest amount of self-worth and dignity would say No.
The Geth also had every opportunity to avoid the Quarian's attack. They brought it on themselves. any idiot could tell you that the Quarians needed their planet back. The Geth had 300 years to get the picture, but they didn't. Had they simply gone up and left, the Quarians settle back on Rannoch, no reason for them to attack Geth. Everybody lives. Everybody's happy.

there really is no excuse for saving the Geth. Pushed up against the wall, they showed their true colors. There is absolutely 0 reason to trust them(especially over the Quarians).
---
#10BluePhotoGirlPosted 2/12/2014 7:31:02 AM
ozzyman314 posted...
When this is you SECOND time making the same mistake(now on a larger scale). Yes you deserve to die because clearly you have learned nothing, and your continued existence would be a danger to the rest of the galaxy.

Foregoing the "heretics". Is submission preferable to extinction? anyone with the slightest amount of self-worth and dignity would say No.
The Geth also had every opportunity to avoid the Quarian's attack. They brought it on themselves. any idiot could tell you that the Quarians needed their planet back. The Geth had 300 years to get the picture, but they didn't. Had they simply gone up and left, the Quarians settle back on Rannoch, no reason for them to attack Geth. Everybody lives. Everybody's happy.

there really is no excuse for saving the Geth. Pushed up against the wall, they showed their true colors. There is absolutely 0 reason to trust them(especially over the Quarians).

Everything about your response ignores the context the game provides. Particularly the whole third paragraph. The quarians had no reason to attack in the first place. They were straight up told that the geth wanted peace. But, rather than trying to make peace with the geth, the quarians decided to attack at the worst possible time, crippling their own fleets and screwing over the rest of the galaxy by giving the Reapers more soldiers. Beyond that, you're ignoring that literally everything about the Morning War was started by the quarians. They're not the good guys here by any means.
---
This is not for you. ~ Johnny Truant