Coin Lock?

#1KoL_AddictPosted 4/28/2011 4:30:46 PM
I've never played Rift, last free weekend I found out about it Monday morning, so I created an account and downloaded the game, but didn't get everything patched before it ended. Today I received an e-mail that looks legit from Trion saying my account is in Coin Lock status, and if I am unable to verify my account it could be disabled permanently. Anyone have any idea what that means?

Since I've never even patched the game up, or purchased it (just the weekend trial which ended last Monday), I'm not sure what could be going on if there's something fraudulent, or if this is just their attempt to clean accounts that are not in use.
---
PSN ID/GamerTag: KoLAddict
Pokemon HeartGold FC: 2064-1674-1575
#2michaelmyers05Posted 4/28/2011 5:04:52 PM
IF you were "Coin Locked" you would get an email with a 5 digit code you put into the GAME to remove the coin lock

You dont remove a coin lock by going to a site...so ignore the email
#3michaelmyers05Posted 4/28/2011 5:07:54 PM
also Coin lock is something they added to the game to help prevent someone from stealing your account and selling everything or using it as a mule and turning it into a gold seller spammer

If you get coin locked you cant Sell items, destroy items, buy crap, AH crap, talk in trade etc
#4KoL_Addict(Topic Creator)Posted 4/28/2011 5:09:12 PM
Ok thanks, it's just fishing spam then, the e-mail I got gave me a link to go to, in order to verify my account to prevent it from being permanently disabled.
---
PSN ID/GamerTag: KoLAddict
Pokemon HeartGold FC: 2064-1674-1575
#5MarikhenPosted 4/28/2011 5:30:15 PM
AFAIK you will never, except perhaps at initial registration, get an e-mail from the customer service department of any MMO stating, 'If you don't verify your account it will be permanently disabled." If you read that in any message it's more or less obvious that the e-mail's not legitimate.
#6mimycriPosted 4/29/2011 2:17:54 AM
If you don't [click! Click! CLICK ON THE LINK!] then [DEATH, JIHAD, TORNADO, GODZILLA] will kill you and eat your soul. You don't have time to think, you've gotta click NOW! Trust us! Look at this link and signature! Would anyone lie to you about something like this? So CLICK on the LINK already!

I hope I've captured the spirit of these kind of scams.
#7N0tYrBeezinPosted 4/29/2011 7:38:06 AM
Marikhen posted...
AFAIK you will never, except perhaps at initial registration, get an e-mail from the customer service department of any MMO stating, 'If you don't verify your account it will be permanently disabled." If you read that in any message it's more or less obvious that the e-mail's not legitimate.

Pretty sure Trion would never write "permanently disabled'! That phrase is a complete giveaway.