Support Shaman and Full dps shaman builds

#1quicksilveragePosted 3/4/2012 4:55:10 AM
I was just wondering before i try it out in game if anyone has any critques or recommendations for a Shaman Support build and a full Dp. My builds are currently

Shaman Support : http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=10nrj.ExbttrsVk.xuMo.V0x.-5

Full Dps 1 : http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=10ndr.EedttrsAk.Vxz.L.-5

Full Dps 2 : http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=00njd.ExbttrsVk.V0xz.Vxz.-0
---
We're not men disguised as mere dogs. We're wolves disguised as men. - Jin-Roh: The Wolf Brigade
#2WarBeaglePosted 3/4/2012 12:47:39 PM
I'm certainly not a Rift expert but my understanding is that you can't even queue for support as a cleric unless you have 22 in justicar. Even then, its not really a support role in the same way that a bard or archon is - you're pretty much just a back-up healer that can do good dps. This is probably wanted in endgame but its pretty unnecessary in pre-50 dungeons unless you have a tank that is low for the instance.

The DPS builds look good; sham 51/inq 11 is pretty common. Your skill choices the non-shaman classes are good in that they augment your melee damage without wasting anything on ranged damage.
---
SWTOR was boring. Now that that's out of the way, let's get on with discussing your game.
#3MarikhenPosted 3/6/2012 7:53:12 AM
Gestapoid posted...
I'm certainly not a Rift expert but my understanding is that you can't even queue for support as a cleric unless you have 22 in justicar.

You need to only have one build with 22 points minimum in Justicar. This requirement is easily satisfied by having a "Duracell" build that puts an extra point in Justicar or having a tanking build.

Gestapoid posted...
Even then, its not really a support role in the same way that a bard or archon is - you're pretty much just a back-up healer that can do good dps.

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=00rjd.vhMo0c.E0xdb0z.VEobMx0M.-5

Non-stop 5% damage reduction buff to everyone in the party except you, 5% crit debuff for enemy, 30% damage reduction buff on 2m CD, silence, cleanse, purify, two separate, and stacking, 7% increased magic damage debuffs, AoE fear, knockback, Life/Death resistance buff (which Shaman doesn't get until deep in the tree), snare, and so on.

It's not much on stat buffs, but a "support" build can be just as supportive if done right.

Gestapoid posted...
This is probably wanted in endgame but its pretty unnecessary in pre-50 dungeons unless you have a tank that is low for the instance.

Not everyone's twinking leveling content, leveling their fifth alt or second alt of that class, or what have you. I was routinely seeing random dungeon groups that were packing 3-4 new players.

TBH though, my "support" build could probably heal a good tank through most boss fights while leveling, but then I've healed tanks through boss fights with my Bard in T1s (back when T1 5-mans existed) a couple times too so that doesn't necessarily say a lot. /shrugs.
---
Stop complaining. I could have done this more painfully. - Dryad from Sacred 2.
#4Alex__13Posted 3/8/2012 6:33:30 AM

Shamycars are ok they are however nowhere near as versatile as your friendly neighbourhoud inq/cars. Escpecially considering the lack of synergy between shaman and justicar (as in building convictions based on your life based abilities which shaman lacks).

Inq/cars and senticars are still the way to go. A good senticar can take over MT healing in simple T2s and starter type raids (such as T1 raid content). getting to 50 is a week maybe two of your play time in rift so forgive me for not bothering to mention ways to play @pre 50.

Now just release ID Trion already, ive been max relic-ed for ages in HK already and the nerfs for the casual have made it boring enough already!

#5Alex__13Posted 3/8/2012 6:35:24 AM

Comeon Already!,,, bah no matter how much i want it they wont release it for another month or so :(

#6MarikhenPosted 3/8/2012 12:56:53 PM
Alex__13 posted...
Escpecially considering the lack of synergy between shaman and justicar (as in building convictions based on your life based abilities which shaman lacks).

You can easily sink 24 points into Shaman before having to worry about it "not synergizing well" with Justicar. http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=00n__.Ex00tMz.-5

Unyielding, Dauntless Courage, and Overwhelming all boost Justicar as well as Shaman attacks, Jolt is off the GCD and so is just bonus DPS, Stormborn augments Jolt, and later Eye of the Storm if you go that deep, and Endless Winter is very useful for keeping your mana up in situations where either mobs die fast, disappear a lot, or there's a significant amount of movement that keeps you out of Ageless Ice/Purpose Range often enough that you can't just sit there and whack-a-mole for the full duration.

The root abilities aren't necessarily quite as useful, but Courage of the Jaguar will boost your melee crits, and chances for Jolt to proc, Courage of the Bear will boost your melee AP, Courage of the Eagle both as well as your mana regen and spell stats, and Mien of Aggression will help with ST DPS. The various heart spells can also be situationally useful, but getting more than one requires more than 24 points in Shaman. Fated Blow and Glory of the Chosen are also both off the GCD and provide extra DPS and self-healing, and that extra self-healing increases the odds of Righteous Mandate healing the tank or whoever you cast it on.

Even out of the non-synergy-friendly stuff after 24 points Strike of the Maelstrom can be useful for AoE DPS and Battle Charge has solid potential as a mobility enhancer.

If you're really worried about getting Convictions you're being silly. In a Shaman/Justicar hybrid build aimed at Support you should be spamming Even Justice and Strike of Judgment with, perhaps, the occasional Lightning Hammer (if buffed) and Strike of the Maelstrom (if buffed as well) for some extra damage. Overloading your macros with crap like Crushing/Massive Blow, and probably Lightning Hammer, things won't work out so well for Conviction generation, but that doesn't mean that the souls don't synergize well or that there are issues with it.

Even if there were they could be alleviated quite handily by sinking 3 more points than the "mandatory" 18 into Justicar to get Light Makes Right. Of course at that point sinking another point in for Interdict wouldn't necessarily be a bad idea from a Support perspective, and it would also guarantee you don't need a tank (or 22 Justicar solo build) in order to queue for Support.

All of that is just to point out that yes, there's a good bit of synergy between Shaman and Justicar and that no, there are no Conviction problems unless you're just really bad, or ignorant/new, in playing the build(s). None of what I said changes the fact that it's not really an ideal Support build. It's more or less a DPS/HPS bot with little other utility than a few party/raid-wide buffs for stats or resistances, and the resistance buffs can get overwritten so easily and by so many other buffs that it's pathetic.

Hell, having two Shamans in a party doesn't even mean you can run two Hearts. As soon as Heart of the Fire Mountain goes up Heart of the Frozen Sea goes down. In an even more pathetic fashion Spiritual Protection is in the same buff category as the Hearts so when it goes up any Heart gets cancelled. It's not too surprising that Aspect of the Elements can cancel, and be cancelled by, Hearts as well, but it is annoying. /shrugs.
---
Stop complaining. I could have done this more painfully. - Dryad from Sacred 2.
#7WarBeaglePosted 3/9/2012 1:38:05 PM

Not everyone's twinking leveling content, leveling their fifth alt or second alt of that class, or what have you. I was routinely seeing random dungeon groups that were packing 3-4 new players.

TBH though, my "support" build could probably heal a good tank through most boss fights while leveling, but then I've healed tanks through boss fights with my Bard in T1s (back when T1 5-mans existed) a couple times too so that doesn't necessarily say a lot. /shrugs.

I'm not even talking about twinked out groups loaded with alts. Healing 5-mans in Rift is extremely easy. You could have a group of 5 players who don't have a 50 and the only way the dungeon might be remotely challenging is if the tank, healer or both are on the lower end of dungeon's level spectrum.

Most of the time when I'm healing, the support role will ask if I need them to support or if they should DPS. Its rare that I actually need them to support me given how hard it is to get into a low mana situation as a healer.
---
SWTOR was boring. Now that that's out of the way, let's get on with discussing your game.