New to RIFT. What class to play?

#1RontequePosted 6/20/2013 12:55:20 AM(edited)
There seem to be a ton of choice in the later part of the game. But at the beginning I will only be stuck with a few?

I played Maplestory and my favourite class is the Kaiser.

I played Guild Wars 2 and my favourite classes is the Norn Warrior/Guardian.

I played Diablo 3 and my favourite class is the Barbarian and Monk (Fist weapons).

What is the equivalent of the above mentioned classes in RIFT?

I like to be able to solo play high level dungeons, have a transforming ability into a werewolf, werebear, weredragon and swing huge weapons like Cloud Strife, etc.

As I understand you can have three classes in one in this game? Will I be able to "Respec" Stats and Skills without spending real money in the cash shop like in Maplestory?
#20cu_87Posted 6/20/2013 5:14:54 AM
You can always respec for ingame money and it's not much.

You basically have to choose 3 "souls" for one "role", which is similar to having 3 talent trees per class. The more points you spec into one tree, the more skills you'll unlock for it. You can save each role and switch them as you wish.

I recommend you a warrior or cleric. This game needs tanks and healers, no more DDs. With these classes, you'll have a free choice though.
#3vahndragonwingPosted 6/20/2013 8:03:45 AM
Ronteque posted...
I like to be able to solo play high level dungeons, have a transforming ability into a werewolf, werebear, weredragon and swing huge weapons like Cloud Strife, etc.

Lol
---
IMO
#4BIadeBIadePosted 6/20/2013 8:14:52 AM
vahndragonwing posted...
Ronteque posted...

Lol

i'm not sure what you're laughing at when he mentioned maplestory in his second statement

i agree with the conclusion of cleric or warrior
---
http://dotabuff.com/players/52876758 | PSO2JP - Rasmolov@Ship 10
http://www.lolking.net/summoner/na/21215455 | Rift - Zantoma @ Threesprings <Transience>
#5MarikhenPosted 6/20/2013 9:21:46 AM(edited)
Ronteque posted...
There seem to be a ton of choice in the later part of the game. But at the beginning I will only be stuck with a few?

No, you get the same 336 or 504 (or something like that, latter number being if you purchase the Storm Legion expansion or purchase the expansion souls separately) possible soul combinations at level 1 as you do at level 60. The only difference is in the number of soul points you have to invest in branch abilities and passives. You get one point per level (including level 1), and until you hit level 48 you get an extra point every third level. That means you'll have 3 at level 2 and 4 at level 3, 7 at level 5 and 8 at level 6, and so on. By level 50 you'll have 66 points to spend, and at level 60 you'll have 76 points.

Bugs the heck out of me that they didn't carry the "extra point every third level" mechanics through the expansion levels though. >_>

Ronteque posted...
What is the equivalent of the above mentioned classes in RIFT?

Don't know, don't know, warrior and, to a degree, rogue.

Ronteque posted...

I don't know the state of "extreme solo'ing" in Rift, but I don't think it's as good as it is in some other games. The only soul that I can think of off the top of my head which has any sort of transformation is the Necromancer soul for mages which lets you temporarily transform into a lich. Cloud Strife is not a huge weapon so swinging him around might be problematic, especially if he objects to it. Oh, wait, you meant the way he does. Um... Well, warriors and clerics use large two-handed weapons, but warriors get two-handed swords, axes, hammers/clubs, and polearms while clerics are stuck with staves and two-handed hammers/clubs.

Ronteque posted...
As I understand you can have three classes in one in this game? Will I be able to "Respec" Stats and Skills without spending real money in the cash shop like in Maplestory?

Rift has no classes. It has:
Four callings.
Eight standard souls per calling.
One expansion soul per calling which you need to purchase.

"Re-spec'ing" costs in-game money at a rate which scales based on level and amounts to 50g a pop at level 50; I don't know how much it costs at 60 as I have yet to get a character that high. You can also purchase multiple roles, again with in-game currency, to help reduce the need to "re-spec."
---
Stop complaining. I could have done this more painfully. - Dryad from Sacred 2.
#6chicostickPosted 6/20/2013 11:04:37 AM
I do kind of wish there is a class/soul that transforms you like the Druid in WoW
#7MarikhenPosted 6/20/2013 12:23:43 PM
It might be nice, but not every MMO or ARPG needs a shapeshifter. It helps keep the class/soul/whatever "special" for those games that do have'em.
---
Stop complaining. I could have done this more painfully. - Dryad from Sacred 2.
#8pies12Posted 6/20/2013 6:34:00 PM
Just so you know, Rift is designed with switching roles to be optimal. Don't get hung up on "I'm playing x". You'll be looking at something like a melee role, a ranged role, an AoE role and a support/utility role all to be used when they're applicable.
---
"Obviously it was the most epic bubble hearth of all time."
~FalcownPAUNCH on Dalaran being moved to Northrend.
#9AC_DragonfirePosted 6/21/2013 2:40:56 AM
pies12 posted...
Just so you know, Rift is designed with switching roles to be optimal. Don't get hung up on "I'm playing x". You'll be looking at something like a melee role, a ranged role, an AoE role and a support/utility role all to be used when they're applicable.

Pretty much this right here. My mage a warlock damage spec, a healing spec and a support spec. The healing plays a lot different than any healing I've ever done in a game.

The support type of play is debuffing enemies, buffing allies and healing if applicable to the class/soul.