After having been away from this game for awhile

#1MagiciteKefkaPosted 1/29/2014 5:56:05 PM
Do you have to buy the expansion in order to get the new stuff, or is it included in the free to play?
#2cracked87Posted 1/30/2014 1:11:24 AM
As far as i know, only thing you miss out from not buying the expansion is the new souls (and if im not wrong 5 points to put in the tree). Nothing must to buy, but if you want cookie cutter builds, or just more souls then the SL souls is a must
---
PSN: steffo021vastera | Pawn:Bob lvl 63+ Mage | Inclination: Utilitarian and Challenger
In dire need of: Knowledge, kept sour ambrosial meat
#3MagiciteKefka(Topic Creator)Posted 1/30/2014 5:27:07 AM
cracked87 posted...
As far as i know, only thing you miss out from not buying the expansion is the new souls (and if im not wrong 5 points to put in the tree). Nothing must to buy, but if you want cookie cutter builds, or just more souls then the SL souls is a must

So I can still access the expansion zones and do all the quests?
#4MarikhenPosted 1/31/2014 2:29:48 AM
Buying the Storm Legion expansion will get you a title, the souls, and I believe a few other odds and ends that are cosmetic in nature. If you can get a valid product key or boxed copy of it (which of course holds said key) then more power too you, but the expansion content aside from the souls is all available for free.

Level cap of 60? Free.
Access to all expansion zones? Free.
Access to all expansion rifts? Free.
Access to all expansion items? Free.
Access to all expansion instances? Free.
Access to all the ways to die in the expansion content? You bet your ass it's free!
---
"Before I send them to hell, I shall let them see heaven." - Claptonvaughn, http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/605432-path-of-exile/68145584#11
#5MagiciteKefka(Topic Creator)Posted 1/31/2014 5:48:26 AM
Okay, sweet. I don't really think I'm that interested in the new souls, unless they're extremely good or something. So I think I'll just jump into the game again. Thanks a lot!
#6MarikhenPosted 1/31/2014 10:16:46 AM
The Defiler soul is kind of a mix of DPS and healing. The Harbinger soul is a quasi-melee DPS soul that works well in conjunction with Chloromancer. The Tempest soul gives warriors a ranged DPS option. The Tactician Soul functions a bit differently from other rogue souls in some ways and is also a mixed DPS/healing soul.

All things considered unless you're a diehard warrior fan and woefully lament the lack of ranged DPS options you can skip out on Tempest. Likewise many people don't seem to think too much of Defiler either. Tactician, on the other hand, can work very well with Bard, the rogue's support soul, Riftstalker, the tanking soul, and several DPS souls as well. Furthermore Harbinger/Chloromancer is considered by many to be one of the most fun, and easiest, leveling combinations. While not as resilient as cleric builds using the Justicar soul, or at least as they used to be, it's a combination that still does sizable damage and a surprising amount of self and group healing.

If I'd know before I got the souls what I'd think of them now I'd still have gotten them, but not everyone will think that what amounts to a 50% popular approval "success rate" is worth the cost.
---
"Before I send them to hell, I shall let them see heaven." - Claptonvaughn, http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/605432-path-of-exile/68145584#11
#7degenerate4lifePosted 2/21/2014 10:18:33 PM
Also, if you just gotta have the expansion souls, you can buy them (one time only purchase for the account) through the in-game store, via either $ or through rex which are purchase with in game platinum.
#8Toi1etDuckPosted 3/24/2014 4:00:00 AM
If you can find an old boxed copy of Storm Legion for cheap though you can apply the game code and get the Souls for super cheap.
---
Currently Playing: RIFT, SWTOR, Stick of Truth
Intel Core i5-2500K | 6GB RAM | Radeon R9 270X 2GB