Have a strict NAT? I made a Port Forwarding guide just for you!

#1Atropis_OrthPosted 11/19/2011 1:43:03 PM(edited)
Port Forwarding Guide (made specifically for everyone on the Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 boards)

If you already know how to port forward and are just looking for the specific ports for Modern Warfare 3, scroll to the bottom of the next post.

What is Port Forwarding?

Before you understand port forwarding you need to know what an IP address, ports, and NAT are.

IP Address
Every device that can connect to the internet has an IP address. It's used as an identifier for your device. An IP address looks something like these:

127.0.0.1 (Default loopback address)

The lowest IP address in IPv4 is 0.0.0.0 (Default Network) while the highest is 255.255.255.255 (Broadcast). Not all of those are pingable, though, because they could be protected by a firewall or the address just might not accept ICMP packets. There are different classes of IP addresses (A, B, C, D, and E), each with different uses, ranges, and octets. There are also interneal and external IPs. Your IP address looks different depending on which side of the router your on (internal/external).

I could spend hours talking about octets, the hexidecimal system, how your computer translates the binary code into an IP address, and IPv4/IPv6, but that is beyond the scope of this tutorial. I'm trying to keep this as simple as possible. If you're interested in learning that stuff, go take a Cisco class.

Ports
From an article I read:
"In computer terms, a computer or a program connects to somewhere or something else on the Internet via a port. Port numbers and the user's IP address combine into the "who does what" information kept by every Internet Service Provider."

Some common ports that you may or may night be familiar with are:

20/21 - FTP
88 - Kerberos (an authentication system for servers)
443 - HTTPS
465 - SMTP (Simple Mail Transfer Protocol, or an easy way to remember it: "Send Mail To People")

These ports can be edited in the registry, so if you wanted port 500 to be your HTTPS port, you could do it, but it's not recommended and, again, it's beyond the scope of this tutorial.

Your IP address accesses these ports to use these particular services. The use of ports allows a single IP address to simultaneously check email and watch a youtube video.

NAT
If you're reading this guide, this is what you want to change. The NAT (Network Address Translation) is what takes your IP address and breaks into more IP addresses. The NAT types are

- Type 1 (Open)
- Type 2 (Moderate)
- Type 3 (Strict)

Open NATs can connect to any of the three types.
Moderate NATs can only connect to open and other moderate types.
Strict NATs can only connect to an open type.

Strict NATs are even worse when you're dealing with a peer-to-peer multiplayer game, like Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3. Most people don't have an open NAT, so those with a strict NAT have a hard time finding games (I can see the lightbulb going off right about now). Here's the other problem. If you have a strict NAT type and someone with a moderate NAT type joins, guess what? You get kicked!

So, back to port forwarding. When data gets sent to your router, your router needs to know what to do with it. Port forwarding just tells the data where to go. If the port isn't open, the information cannot get through. Since your PS3 most likely shares a router with your computer, opening up the port on the router will effect both your console and your computer. Just note that sometimes your router will ask you which IP address to forward ports to, so...
#2Atropis_Orth(Topic Creator)Posted 11/19/2011 1:44:05 PM(edited)
Finding your PS3's IP address
- Log in to your console and scroll through the PS3's menu until you reach the "Settings" option. Scroll down through the "Settings" sub-menu and highlight the "System Settings" option. Press the "X" button.
- Scroll to the "System Information" option and press "X." Your PlayStation 3's IP address will be among the items in the "System Information" list.

You'll find all the information you need on that screen. You can also set up a static IP address for your PS3, but that's for another guide.

Please note that setting up port forwarding is different depending on the router you have. Since I can't possible make a guide for every router out there, I'll direct you here:

http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/routerindex.htm

Find the company that makes your router and the router model (if it's not directly on the front of the router, look for a sticker with the information on the bottom). You'll come to a page that asks you to buy something to configure your router automatically, but you're all too smart to need that, so click the link at the top right of the screen that says "Click here to skip this advertisement...". You'll then be directed to a list of games. Click the game you need port forwarding for, and follow the easy to follow guide.

If you already know how to enter in the ports and were just looking for which ports you need to open for Modern Warfare 3, here they are:

TCP - 3074, 27014-27050
UDP - 3074, 27000-27030

FAQ

Why did you make this guide?
I have a passion for the IT world, from fixing home computers and building gaming rigs, to setting up large networks and servers for the corporate world. I've always felt that this stuff is too fun to be considered work.

What makes you an authority on this matter?
I have around 14 years of experience with computers. I have my A+, MCITP, CCNA/CCNP, Linux+, CEH, and CHFI certifications.

What if I still have questions?
Feel free to PM me here on GameFAQs.

If you found this guide helpful, please leave a comment and request a sticky. Thanks!
#3Atropis_Orth(Topic Creator)Posted 11/19/2011 2:29:53 PM(edited)
[Reserved for more FAQs if they come up]
#4Its on mePosted 11/19/2011 1:48:32 PM
Cool guide but I've opened all ports (through static IP ps3), tried DMZ zone, and enabled/disabled uPnP and nothing has changed my stupid strict status.

I read somewhere that DSL modems can also serve as a router and that bridging it may be the problem/solution.. I havent looked too hard on bridging but is that easy and if so you think it would help?
---
PSN: Truehellspawned2
#5Atropis_Orth(Topic Creator)Posted 11/19/2011 1:50:06 PM

Cool guide but I've opened all ports (through static IP ps3), tried DMZ zone, and enabled/disabled uPnP and nothing has changed my stupid strict status.

I read somewhere that DSL modems can also serve as a router and that bridging it may be the problem/solution.. I havent looked too hard on bridging but is that easy and if so you think it would help?

What I'm gathering is that you have a modem that also acts as a router? Do you happen to have Uverse?
---
To most Christians, the bible is like a license agreement. Nobody actually reads it. They just scroll to the bottom and click "I Agree".
#6Its on mePosted 11/19/2011 2:04:19 PM
Nah its some local DSL internet (i think century link?), but yea I read that some DSL modems confuse the router cause it has its own router slot - I've had the strict issue for ages and always give up after an hour or two of searching around. I havent gone too far into researching the bridging thing but since someone suggested DSL modems act differently than cable ones I was assuming this could be the problem.

My friend is actually a network technician and couldnt figure out how to fix it either lol
---
#7Atropis_Orth(Topic Creator)Posted 11/19/2011 2:15:42 PM

Nah its some local DSL internet (i think century link?), but yea I read that some DSL modems confuse the router cause it has its own router slot - I've had the strict issue for ages and always give up after an hour or two of searching around. I havent gone too far into researching the bridging thing but since someone suggested DSL modems act differently than cable ones I was assuming this could be the problem.

My friend is actually a network technician and couldnt figure out how to fix it either lol

Yeah, that's very strange. I'd like for you to try something for me on your computer:

- Click Start > Type in 'cmd' > Right click on the "cmd.exe" and "Run as administrator" > Type "ipconfig /all" (no parenthesis) and find the IP address of the default gateway.

- Open up your web browser and, in the address bar, type in that IP address. In most cases, it will take you to a page where you can configure the gateway. You may or may not need a password. If you do, it's probably on a sticker someone on the modem.

Let me know if that helped or not, so we can try something else.
---
To most Christians, the bible is like a license agreement. Nobody actually reads it. They just scroll to the bottom and click "I Agree".
#8Its on mePosted 11/19/2011 2:23:50 PM
Atropis_Orth posted...
Yeah, that's very strange. I'd like for you to try something for me on your computer:

- Click Start > Type in 'cmd' > Right click on the "cmd.exe" and "Run as administrator" > Type "ipconfig /all" (no parenthesis) and find the IP address of the default gateway.

- Open up your web browser and, in the address bar, type in that IP address. In most cases, it will take you to a page where you can configure the gateway. You may or may not need a password. If you do, it's probably on a sticker someone on the modem.

Let me know if that helped or not, so we can try something else.

Yea, I use the router page to open the ports and DMZ and uPNP and everything else I tried to do (lots of screwing around with various things - but reset to default after nothing worked). What im worried about is that since someone mentioned the DSL can have their own router (i think thats what they said) is that it could be making the port forward have issues in which case I dont know how to tell if the DSL modem does have a router slot or not so that I have to bridge it.

Oh, and to skip a few steps - I tried opening specific ports and then tried opening 1-65k and neitehr worked - same with DMZ (which if I understood just opens everything anyways).
---
#9Atropis_Orth(Topic Creator)Posted 11/19/2011 2:28:49 PM
@Its on me:

This is very confusing. Could you tell me the make and model of your modem/router? I'm pretty good at finding information and you've got me wanting to figure this out too!!
---
#10Its on mePosted 11/19/2011 2:32:38 PM
Atropis_Orth posted...
@Its on me:

This is very confusing. Could you tell me the make and model of your modem/router? I'm pretty good at finding information and you've got me wanting to figure this out too!!

Sure I'll PM so we can stop spamming up the thread, haha.
---