Wait... they're getting new voice actors?

#1KisaiPosted 7/16/2010 6:37:09 PM
They SHOULD be bringing back the original voice actors from SA1, SA2, and Heroes.. The voice actors they replaced them with just weren't as good in Sonic '06. Amy's voice especially. Jennifer Doulliard was a perfect voice actor for Amy, but who they replaced her with had a high, shrill, annoying voice. The rest were okay, but I'd still prefer the original actors. If they're getting rid of the new VAs, I'd rather they bring back the old ones.
---
WHO MODS THE MODERATORS?
#2LiISnowpawPosted 7/16/2010 6:39:37 PM
They SHOULD be bringing back the original voice actors from SA1, SA2, and Heroes..
No, those sucked, I'd rather take a risk and hope for actually good voice actors.
#3StitchRSPosted 7/16/2010 7:00:29 PM
While the old old VAs were better than the 4kids VAs, they still weren't particularly anything special.

Corey Bringas and William Corkery couldn't act to save their lives as Tails, Scott Dreier was too calm and laid back as Knuckles, David Humphrey did a good Shadow but could've done well to deepen his voice, Lani Minella wasn't the best actor either as Rouge, Jennifer Douillard was alright as Amy just slightly annoying sounding, Marc Biagi was too gruff as Espio, and Emily Corkery was just ANNOYING as Charmy.

The ones I can say were genuinely good are Ryan Drummond as Sonic, Deem Bristow as Eggman, Sarah Wulfeck as Cream, Jon St. John as Big, and Bill Corkery as Vector.

The 4kids VAs were able to capture the characters' personalities, but their voices were kinda off. The only good ones are Amy Palant as Tails, Mike Pollock (Who's staying as Eggman =D), Lisa Ortiz as Amy, Jason Griffith as Shadow and Dave Wills as Espio.

So I welcome the new voice cast. I'm anxious to see how they can do, and given their track record (listening to their past voices) I'm sure they can pull it off easily.
---
Got it memorized?~Axel from KH2
Brawl main: Sheik (Since the days of Melee, not planning on changing)
#4StitchRSPosted 7/16/2010 7:22:00 PM
I accidentally switched the VAs for Espio and Vector. Vector is Marc Biagi and Espio is Bill Corkery.
---
#5Catcher_FreemanPosted 7/16/2010 7:42:33 PM
The new voice actors are professionals. The original cast were pretty much unknowns that no one had ever heard of before those games. Whereas most of us are already familiar with Roger Craig Smith and Kate Higgins.
#6Kisai(Topic Creator)Posted 7/16/2010 9:37:28 PM
Corey Bringas and William Corkery couldn't act to save their lives as Tails

I didn't know they actually got a different voice actor for Tails in-between SA1 and Heroes. Well... I dunno... I feel I KINDA agree on Tails, a little, but it never bothered me, really. I thought he was fine.

Scott Dreier was too calm and laid back as Knuckles,

I dunno, maybe it was the direction? Maybe he didn't have any idea Knuckles was really in a fight when they made him record the line "Oh-no" every time he got hit by Sonic Granted, that sounded a little flat, but... you know, maybe they didn't emphisize the situation. Maybe they were just like, "Okay, now say 'Oh-no'."

David Humphrey did a good Shadow but could've done well to deepen his voice

To match the Japanese VA, sure. I can see that.

Lani Minella wasn't the best actor either as Rouge

Uh... well... Maybe... They could've done worse, I think. She was, like, maybe a 5 out of 10. Just average. Then again, I don't think the character actually called for any attempts at more involved voice acting. I wouldn't really put ALL the blame on her, but... She wasn't that great either. Not that bad though. But not great either.

Jennifer Douillard was alright as Amy just slightly annoying sounding

What?! How was she annoying-sounding? She didn't seem annoying at all. Granted, there was "slightly", but even that I can't really see, especially with below.

Marc Biagi was too gruff as Espio, and Emily Corkery was just ANNOYING as Charmy.

I originally thought she was the one doing the new Amy's voice. Either way, that's one thing I can agree whole-heartedly on. That voice, shrill and terrible. I didn't think Espio was bad though. His acting didn't seem too bad at all, and it seemed like he was trying to portay more "the muscle" of the group, or the "serious" kind of guy. I think that kinda fits Espio's voice well, especially with how over-the-top serious SonicTeam animated him in the intro to Heroes. Flinging a dagger at the letter Charmy brings in, pinning it to the wall? Was there any point other than to over-emphisize how "cool" he was to the group?

The ones I can say were genuinely good are Ryan Drummond as Sonic, Deem Bristow as Eggman, Sarah Wulfeck as Cream, Jon St. John as Big, and Bill Corkery as Vector.

I DID like Sonic, he was alright, of course. Cream... didn't get much voice-time, as I recall, in Heroes. Something about her voice kinda throws me off, but I blame the character. They're only going to ask for voice acting that fits the character, and I have faith that the localization team got notes direct from the Japanese producers, so that the acting for Cream was as close as you can get. That said, if that's what they wanted for Cream... Then she seems kinda boring, personality-wise. I shouldn't really blame the voice actor if she gave them exactly what they asked.

The 4kids VAs were able to capture the characters' personalities, but their voices were kinda off. The only good ones are Amy Palant as Tails, Mike Pollock (Who's staying as Eggman =D), Lisa Ortiz as Amy

What?? Her voice for Amy is TERRIBLE. It's akin to the shrill, annoying tone that we get with Charmy. It just doesn't sound like Amy's original voice at all. It's just a little too rough and grating in the throat while trying to be as moderately high-pitched as possible. Unfortunately, we DO have to have a new voice actor for Eggman, and it's surprising to hear he's staying for Sonic Colors, but he's not bad. Tails's new voice actor, I can kinda agree with, but... he sounds a lot deeper in tone than Tails originally was. I think they should've tried to get a voice that matches more. Even though his voice is deeper now, I should be thankful they didn't make it sound BAD as opposed to GOOD like Amy's voice acting.
---
WHO MODS THE MODERATORS?
#7Kisai(Topic Creator)Posted 7/16/2010 9:37:52 PM
Jason Griffith as Shadow and Dave Wills as Espio.

As disappointed as I am in ANY voice actors leaving, his voice is almost identical David Humphrey's Shadow. I am sad they got rid of him, but Jason Griffith's Shadow IS damn close. And the new Espio, I didn't get to hear much of in Sonic '06. I... don't think he even starred in that at all, actually.
---
WHO MODS THE MODERATORS?
#8StitchRSPosted 7/17/2010 12:23:57 AM
You are entitled to your opinion, but listen to Amy in Japanese. She's supposed to sound annoying.

Also, Jason was that deeper version of David Humphrey that I wanted. He was very good in his appearances. For Espio, he was in Shadow the Hedgehog and Sonic Rivals 2. Look up some cutscenes of Sonic Rivals 2. Espio's voice should be smooth and moderately deep, which is how Dave Wills made it. Bill Corkery made him sound kinda over-the-top-gruff. Yeah it could've been the voice direction, but I guess we'll never know since he only got one game =\

And as I said in another topic, not only is it bad to use little boy VAs because they hit puberty, but because they're usually not so good of actors, as I stated about Corey Bringas and William Corkery. They lack the experience that adults gain over the years, which is why it's usually ALWAYS the best choice to have a female voice a little boy. It's just a matter of WHO you get to voice them. I've heard some pretty convincing female "little-boy" voices. Brianne Sidall is the number one example, followed closely by Mona Marshall. Michelle Ruff (Carl Clover from BlazBlue) and Kate Higgins (Udon from Naruto and now Tails) are pretty up there as well.

So basically, we now have professional voice actors who have years of experience, and they're NOT just used to acting for little kid audiences like the 4kids VAs. I think we have our winners.
---
#9LiISnowpawPosted 7/17/2010 12:36:51 AM
You are entitled to your opinion, but listen to Amy in Japanese. She's supposed to sound annoying.

That's terrible.
#10StitchRSPosted 7/17/2010 12:43:08 AM
What, that I'm letting Kisai have an opinion?
---