Recommended Mods

#1Hambone2010Posted 3/24/2011 8:28:10 AM
Hey, I was just wondering if anyone could recommend mods for this game. I realize there has not been much time to overhaul the game yet, but are there any mods that are worth getting? I could go to twcenter.net and find them myself, but I simply do not have the time. Preferably I would like something that changes realm divide. Im forced to play the game on Hard instead of Very Hard or Legendary, because Realm DIvide is so freakin hard to get through. The rest of the campaign is so easy though, I would rather be playing it on a harder difficulty. Anyway...Mod recommendations?
---
Thou art like a toad; ugly and venemous. -----Shakespeare
#2jyoutoPosted 3/24/2011 8:38:39 AM
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/997383-shogun-2-total-war/58555202

Realm divide mod and some other nifty mods listed here.
---
HG FC: 5457 1759 4887
#3Hambone2010(Topic Creator)Posted 3/24/2011 8:49:24 AM
Thanks dude, exactly what I was looking for.
---
Thou art like a toad; ugly and venemous. -----Shakespeare
#4Sir_ThomasPosted 3/25/2011 10:39:27 AM
The best mod for this game is the Darth Mod: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1564

The most important changes:
• Many tweaks in battle mechanics to create more lasting battles and better troop responses.
• Realistic speeds, accelerations, mass and physics for a more realistic battle experience. As a result more battle chaos and charge penetrations are generated.
• Removal of the “laser trails”. In combination with the reduced speeds there is a significant FPS increase.
• Improvements in fatigue levels (troops get tired and rest more dynamically).
• More morale resistance for more intense battles.
• Cavalry is more powerful, can last more in a melee, and can perform lethal charges.
• Reload rate of towers reduced slightly from 4 to 3.
• Projectiles less accurate and less effective against armor and generally are more realistic.
• More dynamic diplomacy attitudes settings.
• Improved auto calculation of battles.
• Removal of the most insane CAI handicaps and in compensation I made the CAI to use better the decision weight system so to develop more and coordinate better the attack/defense (needs testing).
• Trade is more lucrative.
• Tax rate from provinces is increased.
• Units gain experience more rapidly per battle.
• Character experience points per upgrade increased from 2 to 3.
• CAI will recruit less archers than before.
• Food shortages reduced by lowering the food consumption of certain buildings.
• Less tidy formations.
• General command radius increased.
#5thunderbird8804Posted 3/25/2011 10:54:20 AM
I never thought I'd hear myself say this, but Darth's latest mod makes the game way too easy, and at the same time tiresome and tedious. The slower units and increases to morale unnecessarily draw out battles, and the archer nerf makes them impotent and slows things down even more. The changes to trade, income and food just make managing your economy and food requiring structures trivially easy, which makes raising huge armies way easier, and allows you to just plow through the AI with even less effort than it already takes. I do like the slight boost to cavalry, they seemed kinda flimsy before, though the changes to their formations make their pathfinding AI act really weird.

/Darthmod for Rome was excellent
//And for Empire it was absolutely vital
///Skipping on this one
#6Sir_ThomasPosted 3/25/2011 1:14:03 PM
Has anyone else encountered the "fleet-lock bug"? It often occurs when there is a battle in a trade zone. You win the battle, but your fleet cannot move again, and nothing can merge with it. That has happened to me in this campaign. I had to scupper my "victorious" fleet. Now I have TWO fleets locked on a beach after disembarking troops; one fleet has a monk and a ninja that cannot disembark. Any ideas how to fix this problem?
#7Cobra5Posted 3/25/2011 1:41:27 PM

thunderbird8804 posted...
I never thought I'd hear myself say this, but Darth's latest mod makes the game way too easy, and at the same time tiresome and tedious. The slower units and increases to morale unnecessarily draw out battles, and the archer nerf makes them impotent and slows things down even more. The changes to trade, income and food just make managing your economy and food requiring structures trivially easy, which makes raising huge armies way easier, and allows you to just plow through the AI with even less effort than it already takes. I do like the slight boost to cavalry, they seemed kinda flimsy before, though the changes to their formations make their pathfinding AI act really weird.

/Darthmod for Rome was excellent
//And for Empire it was absolutely vital
///Skipping on this one

He's still working on it. V1.1 is already released, It reduces the amount of money you get in campaign and increases arrow damage, a few other things I think...

#8Sir_ThomasPosted 3/25/2011 3:01:19 PM
I just installed the newest version. I'm going to scrap my saved games, starting over with the Mori. I like Shimazu, but they are too far from Kyoto. I'm thinking of playing the Domination game: requires the most conquest, but it also has the most time. Even with Darth, it takes time to develop properly.

Also, I got a suggestion from someone on the "fleet-lock bug". I know I'm not the only one experiencing this problem. One player suggests quitting out completely, then restart the game: that sometimes clears it. It is worth a try.
#9sextus1Posted 3/26/2011 10:51:24 AM

I like the fact that the DarthMod has an ON/OFF choice to switch back to the vanilla version.Very easy to install.

#10Megotaku77Posted 3/26/2011 12:10:09 PM

I have mixed feelings about the Darth mod. The cavalry change is definitely welcome, some people feel it makes them overpowered but I don't. Cavalry are outnumberd 2:1 by virtually everything, if they are locked in combat they are going to lose against nearly anything except archers. The costs of defeating a Samurai sword unit, even though they supposedly have the advantage just aren't worth it, especially what it costs you in kills when the enemy routes. Darth mod actually gives cavalry their real purpose: devestating charges. I might actually consider playing Takeda like a Takeda.

The slowness of combat is definitely a plus. The CAI has an unfair advantage in vanilla when it comes to battlefield control since they can micro their huge armies with 10,000 brains. I have one brain, and one cursor. Slowing the fight down doesn't make me feel so pressured, and I actually don't feel at a disadvantage during castle sieges since I can move archers into position before they're already at my gates.

The changes to archers however is my chief concern. They are weak to the point of uselessness, and I am playing v1.1 of the mod. I tested it,I squared off 3 Samurai archers WITH the +10% accuracy Bushido as level 6 veterans and it took them half of their quivers to route a single enemy archer squad WITH line of sight! Pathetic? Oh yeah. This is compounded if the enemy is using high armor targets like Samurai swordsmen or especially Naginata Samurai. They come from a province with a Master Armorsmith? Don't even bother bringing archers. I'm pretty sure on my next playthrough I'm going to completely ignore archers and just load up on more melee units, using my field superiority to overwhelm the melee line. I can report that they are still very effective on No-dachi samurai and my Date clan playthrough can attest to that.

The economic change is meh. I like the extra income late game because it allows for more epic battles. I had an 8000 vs 8000 on my Date clan file against the Takeda. You won't get fights like that on vanilla. Its not really unfair since you can just jack the foreign trade routes early game to the same effect on vanilla. Heck, sometimes I'll randomly declare war just to steal a trade route then bribe the faction for peace with no detriment tomy diplomatic standing on vanilla.

The CAI anti-cheat works, not perfectly, but it works. They have to actually build units at their base now! I've never seen that in vanilla. Usually its run out of sight and come back with ageneral and 1400 additional Samurai from a clan so destitute they couldn't afford a single full cap Ashigaru army, but somehow they've instantly generated 1400 Samurai in a single season in a province with a fort.

The anti-Realm Divide doesn't work. It either doesn't work or doesn't go far enough. I always plan my clan honorably. I never loot, I always give aid to starving enemies, I buy the retainers that increase honor and I never break trade agreements willingly. I had a 50 turn alliance with the Takeda and pristine relations with them. Real divide hit and they declared war on me within 8 turns.

Its a great mod and after using it, if it was the only mod out there I would use it. I've uninstalled it, but I'm debating re-installing it. I really like most of what it does, but the author has warned against using it with other mods like an anti-Realm Divide that actually works coupled with the terrible, terrible, terrible archers puts me on the fence.