food shortages

#11Viper114Posted 3/19/2011 8:51:35 PM
The sooner you get the first upgrade to unlock Terraced Farming, the better. I remember I originally had a food problem as the Chosokabe, but once I managed to build some Terraced Farms, I actually got a LARGE surplus. Just hold out and build those farms.
---
"We are all legends...our only choice is how to end the tale."
#12sextus1Posted 3/19/2011 8:53:49 PM

I am 25 yours into the game and have found out a couple of things about food. Build up a Fortress on only one state; the rest just to the level of a Stronghold. Evenly build up your trees (Bushido vs Chi). Pay special attention to upgrade your food resources: Farm- Terrace Farms- Consolidated Land. I control 6 provinces and my food level is +7. I follow this recipe for every province that I take over. Leave just enough of an army in each stronghold for adequate protection since too many mouths cost you food. Use the same army units, once replenished, to take over another province. The days of fielding 2-3 armies going in diff. directions is over with this game. If you are on the coast and are building trading routes and naval ships for protection; dont go overboard (pardon the pun) since these mouths will also cost you food.

#13zim001Posted 3/21/2011 9:41:45 AM

Just some friendly questions on this topic

Castles

Does it make sense that a castle consumes 25-75% of the food output in a province? I understand that the garrison requires food but are the food needs of 1000 soldiers going to cause a famine in a province where nearly the entire population is employed in food production?( which is the way it was in feudal Japan)

Rice exchanges

A rice exchange should help regulate pricing and should lead to increased and more efficient food distribution, stock piling and price stabilization I don't see how this would consume food. a rice exchange wouldn't require a huge amount of labor and those employed there would be getting food like the rest of the population not like soldiers shouldn't this be increase food supply?

Markets

Again as with rice exchanges since a market is actually a hub for the distribution of food normally bringing food from other cities, towns, provinces, regions or even countries all over the place to be sold shouldn't this add to the efficiency at which food is distributed and increase supply? As additional food is being brought in to be sold? Furthermore why would this consume a huge amount of food since merchants in a market would be the only ones in need of food do they really consume 25-75% of food in the province?

Its like these aren't really buildings but swarms of locusts.

I understand how the food system works but is it realistic

Thoughts?

#14ZeroXcusesPosted 3/21/2011 10:26:04 AM
I am 25 yours into the game and have found out a couple of things about food. Build up a Fortress on only one state; the rest just to the level of a Stronghold. Evenly build up your trees (Bushido vs Chi). Pay special attention to upgrade your food resources: Farm- Terrace Farms- Consolidated Land. I control 6 provinces and my food level is +7. I follow this recipe for every province that I take over. Leave just enough of an army in each stronghold for adequate protection since too many mouths cost you food. Use the same army units, once replenished, to take over another province. The days of fielding 2-3 armies going in diff. directions is over with this game. If you are on the coast and are building trading routes and naval ships for protection; dont go overboard (pardon the pun) since these mouths will also cost you food.

This has been the most helpful advice. I'm still figuring out the differences between food and wealth, as they are distinct but related factors in Shogun 2.

zim001 | Posted 3/21/2011 11:41:45 AM | message detail | quote

Just some friendly questions on this topic

Castles

Does it make sense that a castle consumes 25-75% of the food output in a province? I understand that the garrison requires food but are the food needs of 1000 soldiers going to cause a famine in a province where nearly the entire population is employed in food production?( which is the way it was in feudal Japan)

Rice exchanges

A rice exchange should help regulate pricing and should lead to increased and more efficient food distribution, stock piling and price stabilization I don't see how this would consume food. a rice exchange wouldn't require a huge amount of labor and those employed there would be getting food like the rest of the population not like soldiers shouldn't this be increase food supply?

Markets

Again as with rice exchanges since a market is actually a hub for the distribution of food normally bringing food from other cities, towns, provinces, regions or even countries all over the place to be sold shouldn't this add to the efficiency at which food is distributed and increase supply? As additional food is being brought in to be sold? Furthermore why would this consume a huge amount of food since merchants in a market would be the only ones in need of food do they really consume 25-75% of food in the province?

Its like these aren't really buildings but swarms of locusts.

I understand how the food system works but is it realistic

Thoughts?

The idea behind this game is that a market increases the amount of wealth your town produces. So yes, with more wealth and prosperity, the population grows, which means you become richer but you also need more food to feed these new mouths.

Related to this is taxes. If you exempt a providence of taxes for a season, it will have dramatic growth (like +6) but you won't make any money from it this season. However, the money you make NEXT season will be noticeably higher (rather than moderately higher at +1 growth). But you also have to make sure you have enough food to feed these mouths.

So it's a balance between teching your farms and markets on the economy side of things. Of course, conscription and upkeep also affect your food production.
---
Jesus saves.
http://backloggery.com/zero_tolerance
#15zim001Posted 3/21/2011 12:49:06 PM

I don't think its realistic that population increases should be directly tied to a building or network of them so that as soon as your market is built you have such a substantial and sudden explosion in population that food supplies collapse, I think it should certainly be a factor, but linking population growth to buildings in such a significant way paints population with an unnecessarily large brush. I think it should be in the math for the provincial population calculation but population increase should be a gradual increase not an explosion.

Another puzzling thing is that feudal Japan was an agrarian society like I mentioned before with no middle class nearly everyone in Japan was a farmer or in some way involved in food production also land was almost primarily dedicated to food production. I still don't think they have this food shortage business right.

#16FinalFuzorPosted 3/21/2011 7:02:44 PM
i have to disagree with the one who said to level up the art mastery tree evenly.

for the chi side, leveling up to allow terrace is enough for a long time. the important thing is to be the first to get the mastery over kenjutsu, kyujutsu and sojutsu. being the first to get them will net you permanent bonuses to your troops, like +2 melee attack if you get kenjutsu first and that also allows you to recruit hero units. and the extra melee attacks makes battles alot easier once realm divide hits and you have to fight on multiple fronts with limited troops.

after getting kyoto, gun mastery makes it alot easier to defend. mastery of the waves would make invading the date territory alot faster by sea if you're playing one of the western factions.
---
Blonds are like lavalamps. Pretty to look at, but not very bright. Best Example: My Sis -.-'