General skill trees

#1sirstupidPosted 6/20/2011 1:29:46 AM
I love the new skill tree system, but one thing that sometimes bugs me is the way I do exactly the same skill tree upgrades for all the agent types: for example my metsukes only ever govern my towns, so I just develop their overseeing skills.
Really what I'm trying to ask is is there any point in developing the more obscure agent skills, say for generals: would it ever make sense to upgrade the combat stats side of the tree? Most of my generals are cowardly tactical geniuses who behind my army, and provide bonuses to the entire army, which seems infinitely more useful than a general who can just charge in and cause similar damage to a unit of katana cavalry, without really benefiting the rest of the army. Am I right in doing this or is there any hidden advantage to having super warrior generals?
---
Number of times people have made "funny" references to my username:
6 and counting. Go ahead. Do it.
#2DarthSchubertPosted 6/20/2011 7:24:22 AM
As for agents, you definitely can change the skills... I don't use Metsukes much outside of overseeing either, but my ninjas will specialize in one path, either assassination or sabotage.

For generals, I hate to say it but I've yet to find a use for the combat side of the tree. I tried in several games to have a single 'all combat' general and they were never worth it. Considering most battles for me involve at least 7-8 stacks of units, it will always be better to buff those 6-7 units than have a strong general.
---
"Life is like a box of chocolates. Diabetics can't enjoy either."
#3egoflux0Posted 6/20/2011 8:28:14 AM
I've had one General that was ONLY combat oriented, he was a killing machine on the battlefield. He even got to max rank and level -- unfortunately, he defected soon after reaching max everything, so he had to be killed on the battlefield.

But yea, for the most part, all my Generals get campaign movement boosts, boosts to bushido research, and the skills that lower unit upkeep.
---
---
http://www.eondev.net/
#4fortune_cookie9Posted 6/20/2011 7:02:37 PM
It's always nice to have two generals in one army: one for all the leasdership, and the other as the iron hammer that runs in along with your cavalry or other flanking units to pound the enemy into submission. If you only have one generals then the leadership builds are better but melee ones aren't completely useless. online melee generals are even more beast because a high level melee general can have a passive ability that nullifies all bonuses spears have towards your general so sending your general headfirst into a yari ashigaru formation actually isn't too big of a deal because their puny 4 melee attack just won't cut it against your general's 26.
---
PSN name: wraith90
#5Muffins_And_PiePosted 6/20/2011 10:26:32 PM
There's one bad thing about having two or more generals in one stack though. The experience to level up a general goes to the general in the first slot. If you have two generals in separate stacks you get double the experience. For example, if you fought two separate battles with two generals in different armies, with one reinforcing the other, they will both level up. However if you had both generals in the same army, fighting those two battles, only one of them level up.
---
---
---
#6fortune_cookie9Posted 6/20/2011 10:27:50 PM
ah yes I forgot about that. Just separate them and level them up differently if you want.
---
PSN name: wraith90
#7sirstupid(Topic Creator)Posted 6/21/2011 2:38:20 AM
yeah that's the thing, the only way a general really levels up is when he is in command of an army, and if he's commanding an army (by this I mean more than about 5 units), then it is only logical to level him so that the bonuses are spread onto a large number of units. Maybe if all the generals in your army gained experience from winning battles then it would be more viable to develop the combat skills, especially in the early game when I sometimes found myself with 3 or 4 generals in just one army.
---
Number of times people have made "funny" references to my username:
6 and counting. Go ahead. Do it.
#8Starshard0Posted 6/21/2011 8:02:50 AM
Speaking of leveling up, do generals gain experience when they are part of an army travelling with a fleet that wins a naval battle?
---
"In the game of chess you can never let your adversary see your pieces" - Zapp
#9Muffins_And_PiePosted 6/21/2011 1:47:18 PM
I think so, and I think the chances of getting retainers that have to do with the navy are increased if you level up while at sea
---
---
---
#10USNavyHooyahPosted 6/21/2011 2:43:49 PM
For the Naval thing, yes they do. I always put one general in a fleet, and he levels up just like a field battle. There's also a skill tree to improve his Naval leadership.
---
Petty Officer 3rd Class Master-At-Arms, NSF NAVSTAROTA