Skills

#1taskun_34Posted 7/17/2012 5:37:16 PM
How do you guys build your skills for each char? Do you focus on 3 different types like wind, earth, power for example. Do you also try combo them with all 4 chars, or do you focus on 2 chars comboing with each other?

I understand how it works, I'm just trying to find a good balance so I don't waste so much TP haha
#2Realist2615Posted 7/17/2012 6:02:49 PM
I try to stick with whatever I know is to be most effective. If I know I'm going to an area where monsters are weak to fire, then I'll set my best fire skills and so forth. Outside of that, I don't really tend to stick to one element or type than another. I will, however, always try to learn whatever has the highest break rating. That part is extremely important.

Technically the more characters you combine in the same attack the better. It raises break value and can double~quadruple hits and damage. Plus, some of them just look insanely cool with all 4 characters going at it at the same time. But for the most part, it's best to just stick with 2 or 3 characters using the same type of move with each other.

The only problem is that with attacks where it's based on more than one damage type... Like, say Blood Siphon or Flame Seal... Then you will get extremely inconsistent damage. It's because the modifiers for the damage are taken from all participating characters instead of combined stat. Most of the time you'll either get very low numbers because a member has a crappy rating in one type or totally miss most of the hits because someone has a lower ACC/DEX. Unless you have a very good balance, they're not that great.

But then on the other hand, you have plenty of pure magic or physical based skills. Some of them are extremely overpowered with multiple people. Mirage Force, Genesis End, Cross Blade, Arc-En-Ciel... You name it. This works even with characters who don't use the particular damage type... Say Arc-En-Ciel. Even if you included a few fighters, it still increases the damage a bit and gives you a huge increase to break rating and hits.

It really just all comes down to what skill it is and how balanced your team is going to be.
---
Currently Playing: FFXIII-2, LoZ: Skyward Sword, MW3, Record of Agarest War 2, Valkyria Chronicles
#3taskun_34(Topic Creator)Posted 7/17/2012 6:15:19 PM
Ah cool, do you usually train books based on the what stats they give for mastering them? like for Schwarz since hes my melee fighter, I've been giving him books that have good str and dex boosts. Or do those not really matter and I should look at the actual skill?
#4Xx_RapidFire_xXPosted 7/17/2012 6:32:10 PM
What I do is focus primary on things such as stat bonuses, break value, and EX skills for the first 2 ranks of skill books. After that, I'll go for the skills. Reason being is that the latter skill books will give you the necessary skill that will increase your combination level for high-rank skills, making what you've learn from the lower rank books useless.

In terms of choosing what combination skill to use, I decide this accordingly with my team's forte. Say my team has skill levels of 6-6-5-6 respectively for Light skills, then it'd be more advantageous on my part to learn a skill such as Judgment. All in all, focus on what your team excels at.

Also as Realist2615 stated, skills that use both ATK and MAG are not worth much. Solely due to the inconsistent damage and the need for high DEX on all members. Focus of pure ATK and MAG skills like Arc-En-Ciel, Judgment, Gore Crush, etc.

In the end, just remember to work with your team's proficiency. Also, it doesn't hurt to use skills you like or that looks cool; the game is design so that you have control in what you learn and how you play. Use it to your advantage.
---
Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned.
#5Realist2615Posted 7/17/2012 6:34:53 PM
Most of the stat gains from books are pretty negligible. They're easily made up for with PP or just regular leveling and gear. Every book does raise your character's max AP, though, which is obviously extremely important as it's a permanent boost. Not to mention the EX skills and combination skills. You can't get that from spending PP or leveling.

It's typically best to choose the books that give you the strongest active/combo/EX skills. Having the extra stats is nice, but it won't make a difference if you can't Over Break the enemy and what not. If there's a point where you don't need anymore skills from a certain tier, that would be the best time to go and learn books to get the stat/AP bonuses. But you should only do that when you're absolutely sure there's no skills you want from it anymore. You can rake in the extra AP that way.
---
Currently Playing: FFXIII-2, LoZ: Skyward Sword, MW3, Record of Agarest War 2, Valkyria Chronicles
#6taskun_34(Topic Creator)Posted 7/17/2012 6:37:35 PM
Ah ok, it's good to spread the skills out between party members for some of the combination attacks right? Not good to have say 3 characters learn the same skill book?
#7Realist2615Posted 7/17/2012 6:45:32 PM
taskun_34 posted...
Ah ok, it's good to spread the skills out between party members for some of the combination attacks right? Not good to have say 3 characters learn the same skill book?

Can you elaborate a bit more on that? I'm not totally sure what you're asking.

Xx_RapidFire_xX posted...
In the end, just remember to work with your team's proficiency.

Definitely this. Just try to play their strengths as much as possible if nothing else.
---
#8Xx_RapidFire_xXPosted 7/17/2012 6:51:11 PM
taskun_34 posted...

This depends. There are time where I feel it's necessary for some members to learn from the same skill book to execute certain combination skills. For example, I had my whole team learn from the advance Extra/Void elemental skill book so that I could pull off a Lv. 3 Arc-En-Ciel.
---
Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned.