What's the best way to clean your 3DS's screens?

#1STN79Posted 3/15/2012 1:33:35 AM
I know those microfiber cloths are good but I don't have one at the moment.
Any good substitutes? Is a T-shirt safe?
The 3DS manual says to only use a damp cloth with plain water but that doesn't work very well. You just get streaks. How do you clean it?
#2ParominPosted 3/15/2012 1:46:08 AM
Isopropyl Alcohol + Water, evenly mixed

Make sure your shirt is clean, and that its soft (100% cotton is a good idea) damp a small area of the shirt, lightly wipe, then grab another area of the shirt that's dry and clean and lightly wipe the screen again.
---
If only every game were as challenging as Dark Souls, Touhou, or one of the harder SMT games. Just tack on an ultra easy mode so everyone can play.
#3STN79(Topic Creator)Posted 3/15/2012 1:53:02 AM
That sounds like a pretty good method.
I'm always hearing about using lint free cloths but wouldn't a shirt have lint on it?
Even if it is 100% cotton?
#4ParominPosted 3/15/2012 2:40:04 AM
Just wipe lightly.

Most smudges get wiped away anyway even with the smallest amount of pressures.

What causes scratches on screens is actual hard "dust" (or anything hard) that gets pushed hard down against a screen and dragged. A light wipe should be enough to pick up those particles (or at least push them aside) without causing damage to the screen. Lint won't really cause a problem unless we're talking about really huge clumps that you can pick at.

If it really bothers you, then you should just get a microfibre cloth. IIRC, 100% cotton is pretty much the next best thing to it.
---
If only every game were as challenging as Dark Souls, Touhou, or one of the harder SMT games. Just tack on an ultra easy mode so everyone can play.
#5ludeboiPosted 3/15/2012 2:53:09 AM
I like to use honey cause its super sticky
And it taste good too
---
3ds fc 0989 1836 3869
psn lude_13
#6Fetus_BrigadePosted 3/15/2012 3:11:37 AM
ludeboi posted...
I like to use honey cause its super sticky
And it taste good too

You have to smear it on thick and let it sit out in the sun for a few hours.
---
"Conversation, like certain portions of the anatomy, always runs more smoothly when lubricated."
#7katysuPosted 3/15/2012 4:06:43 AM(edited)
Isopropyl Alcohol + Water, evenly mixed
- I used this on my DS lite screens (using a cotton bud) - and it worked very well, used a microfibre cloth to dry off.
The idea being its more likely to remove grease than water on its own.

I left the DS lites unplayed for a long time (months) & when I went back they all had a whitish bloom on the screens - although it came off with a dampened cloth.

But its made me revert to just plain water/cotton bud; seems to work fine, & its what Nintendo recommend.

Neither water nor the alcohol mix, at the time of their use, caused streaks,
- if water does them maybe buy a small bottle of distilled.
Given I've got screen savers on, I doubt it matters much.

Edit:cotton bud is probably not the best thing to use (guess it could scratch the screen) but its useful around the edges and the lower screen rim, and given I'm cleaning screen savers rather than the screens themselves, I'm not over bothered.

I think it is worth doing, because those top screen scratches are caused at least partly by dust/grease on the bottom screen rims.
I'm careful to clean every other day or so & keep the white foam inbetween when closed - 2 launch 3DS's and no sign of scratches.
#8STN79(Topic Creator)Posted 3/15/2012 4:03:35 AM(edited)
My touch screen already has a few minor nicks on it but I guess that probably can't be helped much.
Over time You're most likely gonna get a scratch or two.
That's why I rarely buy games that rely heavily on touch controls.
It just makes me nervous about damaging my screen.

Oh one more thing. To clean the inner edges of the bottom screen would a Q-tip be okay?
Are those made of cotton?
#9katysuPosted 3/15/2012 4:14:09 AM
Cotton bud/Q-tip, same thing (different countries), as I said probably not the best thing to use as they are made of cotton, so could scratch, but I've had no problems; don't use too much pressure.

As to games that use the touch screen heavily - well I would play the games I want to play and not worry over it, you buy the console to use.

If you cost it out with respect to other forms of entertainment (cinema/eating out/bowling/TV etc) it is relatively cheap.
For me it pays for it self in two years, & I don't go out much.
If I'm still playing the console after that, its a free bonus!
#10STN79(Topic Creator)Posted 3/15/2012 4:23:49 AM(edited)
There's only one game I flat out avoided because of touch controls.
Ninja Gaiden DS. Not only do you have to use the stylus for everything but it also requires fast swiping motions.
No way in hell was I risking mutilating my screen for that.
I never really did warm up to this whole touch screen craze.
The two DS Zeldas are the only games of that style I couldn't live without.