Can I still get streetpasses while playing NES or GBA games?

#1phaze_basicPosted 3/15/2012 9:15:32 AM
I take my 3DS with me on the bus to work most of the time. When playing a standard 3DS game, I usually get 1 or 2 streetpasses before I get to work. But when I play one of my Ambassador games, I don't seem to get any.

Is this just a coincidence, or is Streetpass disabled when playing NES or GBA games?
---
I'll believe that corporations are people when Texas executes one.
"The French don't have a word for 'entrepreneur'" - George W. Bush
#2brStalkerPosted 3/15/2012 9:17:57 AM
NES, IDK.

GBA is the same as DS games. they run on the built-in architeture rather than proper VC emulation, thus some 3DS functions are disabled (Streetpass included)
---
"Which is more evil: Kidnapping a child to use as a tool for world domination, or using your blood child as a tool for world domination?"-Tyranidomega
#3joshua593210Posted 3/15/2012 9:18:44 AM
NES yes, GBA no.
#4NyyarkPosted 3/15/2012 9:31:45 AM
GBA ambassador games, DS games, DSiware = no 3DS functions, and poor efficiency sleep mode.

Everything else = all 3DS sleep functions.
#5brStalkerPosted 3/15/2012 9:37:49 AM
Nyyark posted...
GBA ambassador games, DS games, DSiware = no 3DS functions, and poor efficiency sleep mode.

Everything else = all 3DS sleep functions.

Actually, GBA games doesn't even have Sleep Mode unless it's a built-in function of the game (and you have to set it manually).
---
"Which is more evil: Kidnapping a child to use as a tool for world domination, or using your blood child as a tool for world domination?"-Tyranidomega
#6darknight06Posted 3/15/2012 11:06:52 AM
Emulation is never better than true backwards compatibility unless you like save states.

To answer the question.

NES= Yes because it's emulating the system. GB, and GG games are done this way too. If you see the 3DS splash screen before it starts up, it's emulated.

GBA= No because it's actually downclocking the unit to the spec of the original system so the game can run natively. DS/DSi games do the same thing.
---
3DS Friend code: 4081-5501-8308
#7NyyarkPosted 3/15/2012 11:41:18 AM
darknight06 posted...
Emulation is never better than true backwards compatibility unless you like save states.

I think it's more a personal preference thing. For example I have Chrono trigger on the wii (and SNES and DS >.<), and I have an PC (OS X really) emulator for it that I can play on my TV. While the Upscaled SNES version looks terrible from the wii on my TV, the emulator can run a few filters that make it look amazing. Playing it on the SNES doesn't make it look any better than the wii version on my TV. Yes it isn't true to the as true to the original, but it's truer to my experience when I originally played the game.

I don't usually use save states except as quick saves because I grew up where not getting do-overs was kind of the point, but its nice to be able to quickly shut stuff down if my kid has an issue, and that applies to both the wii and pc emulator.
#8phaze_basic(Topic Creator)Posted 3/15/2012 1:16:15 PM
That answers my question quite nicely. So I'll play NES games on the bus to work, but not GBA games.

Thank you.
---
#9phaze_basic(Topic Creator)Posted 3/15/2012 1:41:34 PM
I just thought of another question. Does Streetpass work while playing downloadable 3DS games? I'm thinking of buying Pushmo and/or Sakura Samurai.
---
#10Iced_ShadowsPosted 3/15/2012 2:13:44 PM
phaze_basic posted...
I just thought of another question. Does Streetpass work while playing downloadable 3DS games? I'm thinking of buying Pushmo and/or Sakura Samurai.

Yes it does. In fact, some 3DSware games use StreetPass. FreakyForms is a good example of that.
---
Shadow Temple...
Here is gathered Hyrule's bloody history of greed and hatred... - Shadow Temple Walls