Compared to the Wii; superior shaders, inferior poly count?

#1Phasmatis92Posted 10/29/2011 5:57:58 AM
Games like Nano Assault and Resident Evil Revelations makes it obvious that the 3DS is far more capable at handling shaders than the Wii, but (forgetting for a moment the performance overhead of running in 3D) its games do tend to look blockier in terms of polygon count, at least from what I've seen.
---
"[Skyward Sword with non-motion controls] would be like trying to play Half Life 2 with an NES controller." - clawshot52
#2Wynters387Posted 10/29/2011 6:07:45 AM(edited)
K

Edit: sorry about that TC . I'm on a phone and apparently went into the wrong topic. Testing and working
---
And don't worry about those guys, they'll grow up one day.-Shogoth4ever
Official High Commander of the NDF
#3Second_ChancesPosted 10/29/2011 6:30:56 AM
Yeah, that's pretty much right.

Otherwise it's GC/Wii level.
---
Second Chances sure are great. It's nice to be back, GameFAQs.
http://backloggery.com/Ground
#4pikachupwnagePosted 10/29/2011 6:37:53 AM
Second_Chances posted...
Yeah, that's pretty much right.

Otherwise it's Wii level.

fixed
---
Bullying people is wrong. Destroying peoples brains with magic is a okay.
Official Special OPs beserker general and pkmn trianer of the NDF.
#5MicroOmegaManPosted 10/29/2011 1:39:10 PM
The thing I'm finding the most peculiar is texture quality. Often it doesn't even seem GameCube level, despite having more RAM than even the Wii. True, we don't know how much is available for sure (or split off for the OS), but it just seems like it should be more impressive in that regard than the current software shows.

Or maybe I'm just really underestimating the RAM needed for the shader effects.
---
If the game gets a bad score, bash the game; if the game gets a good score, bash the reviewer. - stanthelovebot
Buy these: Fragile Dreams, Solatorobo
#6BladinPosted 10/29/2011 1:49:34 PM
Or it could be developers just not really putting on their gameface
#7vidalmorazaPosted 10/29/2011 1:53:16 PM
I guess is because the small screen and resolution, you can go away with low quality textures....
---
XBL/PSN: VidalukoVet
(most)This gen games: http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b245/VIdaluko/DSC09548.jpg
#8strongo9Posted 10/29/2011 2:28:46 PM
Wii:

- higher polygon count
- higher resolution

3DS:

- more RAM
- better shaders

I'd say the two were about equal if they were both consoles, but the 3DS's smaller screens basically hides the fact that is has a lower polygon count and resolution. It's safe to say that when the really good looking 3DS games come out they will look better than Wii games.
---
Want Kirby's Return to Dreamland, Super Mario 3D Land, Skyward Sword,
Mario Kart 7, Kid Icarus: Uprising, Paper Mario 3DS, and Luigi's Mansion 2!
#9ORANGE666Posted 10/29/2011 2:34:30 PM(edited)
In order to put out Wii like graphics, the 3DS needs a lot of resources dedicated to shaders. This means less things going on screen and less objects such as enemies. For example if a Wii and 3DS game was multiplatform such as COD Black OPS, the 3DS would look better but will have less enemies on screen and poorer effects.
#10OmegaZero633Posted 10/29/2011 3:06:45 PM
ORANGE666 posted...
In order to put out Wii like graphics, the 3DS needs a lot of resources dedicated to shaders. This means less things going on screen and less objects such as enemies. For example if a Wii and 3DS game was multiplatform such as COD Black OPS, the 3DS would look better but will have less enemies on screen and poorer effects.

Edge of Time actually has the same amount of enemies on-screen as the Wii version, but does have worse effects.
---
My 3DS FC is 4854-6508-4956. PM me if you want to add me. :D
Official Bear-Wrestler of the NDF.