Dillon's Rolling Western, in Armadillo-Depth

#1AlgusUnderdunkPosted 2/23/2012 8:58:42 AM
Picked up Rolling Western yesterday, and I have to say I was pleased despite worrisome initial reviews I'd heard. First off if I had to compare it to anything, I'd say it would be like a mash up of Lock's Quest for DS and Majora's Mask for N64 for its Goron-Rolling segments.

The basic premise is you're protecting a number of western towns for three-days each, and each day is broken into segments of preparation, battle, and relaxation. During Preparation you can zip around the landscape collecting resources, repairing and building watchtowers and guntowers. The towers have an additional usage to just providing additional firepower, in that every tower on the map also helps indicate where incoming enemies are later in the Battle section, and when they start showing up in droves it's extremely helpful to know where the next heavy concentration is coming from.

The map is also a 'flesh it out' sort of deal, where your exploration adds features to the map, mainly enemy lairs that helps give you some idea of where they'll spawn from and the paths they'll take to attack. Planning this out will help later in the game when you begin getting the abilities to set up more blockades and weapons. Also in this mode you can uncover secret ruins which contain treasures that can be sold for extra cash.

Once you've spent enough time prepping, the sky will change to an ominous orange, indicating you're running out of time. This is your last chance before the Battle sequence to get back to town, shore up the town's defenses, increase their Scrog count (the more Scrogs, the more reward, also the more chances you have should one get eaten), cash in some of your found goods, buy a few supplies like health restoring tonics, etc.

Once the sky hits brilliant red, it's Battle time. The guntowers are all armed and ready, each manned by a citizen from the village, so you don't have to worry about operating them yourself. Grocks will start appearing from the spawn points, and systematically moving towards the town, although sometimes they'll target your towers as well to reduce your visibility and force.
#2AlgusUnderdunk(Topic Creator)Posted 2/23/2012 8:58:58 AM
Now the towers can blast them to pieces, or whittle them down to a weakened state where a single hit will bust 'em to dust, but the real meat of this is up to you fighting them. Touching an enemy in the field activates the fight in a Zelda 2/Earthbound style, and the more weakened an enemy is the fewer enemies you'll battle. Your attacks against the varying monsters consist of charging and rolling, combo-ing into slashes, grinding against them like a belt sander, burrowing under ground, going into a super-powered mode, etc. If you're quick, you can continue one attack into another and build up a combo that will reward you with better swag for each enemy you smash to bits.

Some enemies have alternate goals, for example certain boss-type monsters have to be defeated before they cross a line in the battle arena, meaning you have to be fast and powerful to repel them.

Once you manage to stop the swarm, the day concludes and Dillon relaxes in the saloon, where you get several more options. Here you can buy equipment upgrades that enable more attacks, enter a training room where you can test out all of these attacks until you're comfortable with them, accept different quests such as 'Find Item X' or 'Beat X amount of Grocks on your own' and so on, and completing these quests will net you cash and stars. From here you'll also be able to grab some food and watch Dillon chow down to restore his hearts, and then you can proceed to the next day and save.

When you complete the three days for a given village, you then get a star rating, based on Speed, and Number of Quests Completed. Complete all the quests, get a star. Beat it at the highest speed, get four more stars. These stars will unlock other towns that show up as you go.

Visually, it's fairly adorable. Dillon whips off his hat as he rolls and quickly pops it back on when he stands up, you get to see Dillon strolling around the town at night, the rocks manage to be expressive despite being huge hunks of granite, your little partner gives you a heads up while flying around and you can spot him zipping about, residents all have nice artwork displayed when they're talking, and the landscapes have enough variety to them to be interesting.

As for the ten dollar price, the real question is simply if you like this genre of game. Tower-Defense/Action/Exploration isn't an uncommon genre, but gamers who aren't patient enough to play the resource-management game will likely get frustrated when they're overwhelmed by enemies. I've enjoyed it thoroughly thus far, and would say the ten dollar price seems adequate given the amount of content and craft in the game.
#3L0L_FAQPosted 2/23/2012 9:03:41 AM
Thanks, will buy it ASAP!
---
http://i51.tinypic.com/10x7xxl.png http://i54.tinypic.com/2rm9quq.jpg
"Having high resolution =/= having more detail" - Nnamz
#4MarsfordPosted 2/23/2012 9:05:20 AM
Hmm...thanks for the review. I'm considering it.
---
Official Warrior General of the NDF.
Not changing this sig until I find a new sig.
#5AlgusUnderdunk(Topic Creator)Posted 2/23/2012 9:07:31 AM
You're welcome. Most of the reviews I've seen aren't so much reviews as people saying "Game Good!" or "Game Bad!" so I figured just explaining what it plays like would help folks out more.
#6AnotherVisitorPosted 2/23/2012 9:24:37 AM
Nicely put. I'm enjoying the game too.
---
3DS: 0731 - 4978 - 4269
#7Kitt ThrustPosted 2/23/2012 10:05:36 AM
I'm really enjoying the game too. I say they add Dillon to the next Smash Bros.
---
wiener
http://i.imgur.com/4YRrO.png
#8L0L_FAQPosted 2/23/2012 10:09:50 AM

I'm really enjoying the game too. I say they add Dillon to the next Smash Bros.

I second this.
---
http://i51.tinypic.com/10x7xxl.png http://i54.tinypic.com/2rm9quq.jpg
"Having high resolution =/= having more detail" - Nnamz
#9AlgusUnderdunk(Topic Creator)Posted 2/23/2012 11:12:30 AM
I could see Dillon being playable, and once I finish his game I'll spend some time drawing up a character concept for him. The real trick is to differentiate his moveset from Sonic's. Yes, they're unique characters, but some people will see two characters rolling into balls and attacking and cry out clone, and I'd like to avoid that, design-wise.
#10Kitt ThrustPosted 2/23/2012 11:16:14 AM

The real trick is to differentiate his moveset from Sonic's. Yes, they're unique characters, but some people will see two characters rolling into balls and attacking and cry out clone, and I'd like to avoid that, design-wise.

true.
---
http://i.imgur.com/6Gu0M.gif