Will this be the fourth pillar?

#1dat1337vetPosted 6/12/2010 2:51:04 PM
where is my Gameboy successor? I have had enough of this gimmicky third pillar nonsense
#2DarrentgPosted 6/12/2010 3:02:31 PM
"3rd pillar" was just Nintendo PR that they could use to fall back on in case DS had failed.

---
XBL/PSN: Gigamog
Playing: Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence, Grandia (PSP)
#3DarkSideOfBluePosted 6/12/2010 3:02:53 PM
Gameboy is dead. Deal with it.

They only said the DS would be a third pillar to cover their asses if it failed. They'd have the option of going back to the gameboy. DS wasn't a failure, though, and it succeeded enough to have them scrap any plans for another gameboy. Them's the breaks.
#4BIGLlittlelPosted 6/12/2010 3:13:41 PM
I still don't get how people still don't understand that Gameboy is dead, Nintendo themselves said that the DS is the succesor to the Gameboy. The DS has the ability to play freaking Gameboy games, anyone that ever bought into the whole "It's just a third pillar" deal needs to reevaluate their thinking...
---
You've got it under control?! You're grabbing a ****ing bazooka, dumbass!
~Red Mist
#5RetroResetPosted 6/12/2010 4:17:55 PM
If you are tired of gimmicks then stop buying shovelware. There are plenty of great DS games that utilize the touchscreen very effectively, Trauma Center, Etrian Odyssey, etc.
---
Old account: retro_reset --- I changed it because my OCD thinks it looks better this way...
#6d0wnerPosted 6/13/2010 5:53:36 AM
I'm hoping Nintendo revives the Game Boy brand at some point, but that isn't gonna be on Tuesday. Five years from now, maybe.
---
floating upon the surface for the birds.
#7mica_x9Posted 6/13/2010 8:17:35 AM
Sorry, but what does 3rd or 4th pillar mean?
#8d0wnerPosted 6/13/2010 8:30:59 AM
When the DS was first announced Nintendo claimed it was a 'third pillar', meaning that it would co-exist with the GBA (and GCN) rather than replacing it. As people noted above, the real purpose of this was to cover their ass if the DS should fail, as they would still be supporting the GBA. Of course the DS took off, GBA was phased out, and the 'third pillar' disappeared.
---
floating upon the surface for the birds.
#9GamerJMPosted 6/13/2010 3:12:48 PM
Actually, contrary to popular belief, the DS WAS a third pillar for like three some years, which made up a little less than half of its lifespan as a system. Calling it a third pillar wasn't too unaccurate, even if it sort of was just PR.
---
http://www.backloggery.com/gamerjm
*Space for rent, if you have anything that would fit this sig well post it*
#10-Mecha-Posted 6/13/2010 5:57:17 PM

Actually, contrary to popular belief, the DS WAS a third pillar for like three some years, which made up a little less than half of its lifespan as a system. Calling it a third pillar wasn't too unaccurate, even if it sort of was just PR.

Agreed.
---
<(*.*<)
sigfiller