The 3d cameras look too close...?

#1WetterdewPosted 6/14/2010 2:52:15 PM
Just based on the drawings we've seen so far (yes, I know they're not confirmed) the 3d cameras look like they're only a centimeter or two apart. I'm no expert on 3d technology, but isn't that kind of close together to get a strong 3d effect unless the object you want to appear 3d is right up close to the 3DS?
---
Everything is a journey. Explore ALL.
#2JetPilotPosted 6/14/2010 4:09:52 PM
So you're basing this complaint on a picture some kid photoshopped in his spare time? LOL
---
Chuck Norris CAN believe it's not butter.
#3Wetterdew(Topic Creator)Posted 6/14/2010 4:43:05 PM
Yes, I am. And I'd like to know if I'm correct in what I'm saying, please?
---
#4JetPilotPosted 6/14/2010 5:36:03 PM
Who knows. Send an e-mail to the kid who did the photoshop, after all, he's the one that made it up. If you're worried that his picture isn't right, feel free to make your own picture.
---
#5Wetterdew(Topic Creator)Posted 6/14/2010 6:19:42 PM
You're missing the point entirely. Assuming that the drawing is correct, that the cameras are that close together, wouldn't objects have to be closer to the camera to get the same 3d effect?
---
#6JetPilotPosted 6/14/2010 6:27:34 PM
Why would you assume the drawing is correct? That's where your question makes no sense whatsoever.

Remember the DS mockups from back in 2004? If not, here's a refresher:

http://www.weblogsinc.com/common/images/6843841173884616.JPG?0.5792943825122632

Why are there only two face buttons? Why is the top screen so tall? Why? Because it's a made up drawing just like the drawings you are looking at.

Maybe this is the 3DS:

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.joystiq.com/media/2008/11/nintendo.ds.mockup.490w.jpg
---
#7Wetterdew(Topic Creator)Posted 6/14/2010 6:58:50 PM
Why would you assume the drawing is correct? That's where your question makes no sense whatsoever.

Remember the DS mockups from back in 2004? If not, here's a refresher:

http://www.weblogsinc.com/common/images/6843841173884616.JPG?0.5792943825122632

Why are there only two face buttons? Why is the top screen so tall? Why? Because it's a made up drawing just like the drawings you are looking at.

Maybe this is the 3DS:

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.joystiq.com/media/2008/11/nintendo.ds.mockup.490w.jpg

I'm making the assumption for the sake of this question alone. I'm interested in knowing how the camera dynamics would play out. Besides, if somebody could respond to my actual question rather than complaining about how irrelevant it is since it might be hypothetical, we might be able to discount those sketches as false. As of now, though, the consensus is that they could very well be real, unlike those pictures you posted that were obviously joke art. If you thought those images could have been real, it's no wonder you're unable to comprehend that my question is hypothetical.

Maybe you're just the sort of person who would never look into anything that we aren't 100% sure about. Answer my question or don't post anything, but don't lecture me about how pointless it is to wonder what might happen at E3. This entire board is at the moment based on hundreds of pages of speculation and only one page of official news from Nintendo.
---
#8JetPilotPosted 6/14/2010 7:10:04 PM
No...I'm just the person that finds no value in speculating the answer to a question that has no answer. If you want to know what the 3DS looks like, wait 13 hours.
---
#9AquaF1endPosted 6/14/2010 8:05:45 PM
JetPilot, he's just asking a question, more of a question about 3D effects than the 3DS itself, but still a question nontheless. There's no reason to be a douche about it. If you don't want to even attempt at answering his question, then don't post in his topic.

On topic: I couldn't tell ya. And now I feel like an idiot after saying all that and not knowing the answer, but maybe someone else could answer soon.
---
XBL Gamertag - AquaF1END
#10Wetterdew(Topic Creator)Posted 6/14/2010 11:10:38 PM
Hmm...I've thought about it a bit, and if the cameras are used to detect where WE are, then it would probably make more sense, since we'll be right up to the 3DS (I think I remember them saying that the optimal play range would be about one foot away). It would still mean that if we're able to take 3d photos, the effect wouldn't be as dramatic (I think), but the cameras would be there mainly for gameplay. They could detect depth and use that in gameplay. I really don't know which option I'd prefer (the lenticular screens, or the dual-cameras).

But if the dual-camera theory is correct, and the sketches where they were placed on the left of the screen are correct, then that would mean that the cameras are off-center, and wouldn't that make it awkward if the 3d effect is based on your head? Or maybe it won't matter, and the biggest problem will be having enough light. I wonder if Nintendo went through this kind of thought process when they were designing it.
---