Is the 3DS a NEW handheld?

#1GunningSoulPosted 6/15/2010 1:58:46 PM
And I'm not being sarcastic, I'm simply wondering.
Is the 3DS a successor to the DS, like the DS was a successor to the GBA?
Or is the 3DS a reiteration of the DS, like the DSi is a reiteration (with added features) of the DS Lite?

Also, if it is a successor, does it also imply that the graphical capacities of the 3DS have been upped since the DSi? I know there is going to be 3D, but do we know if it is actually more powerful, aside from the capacity of generate such 3D?
---
The things of me? Well I am tolding you;
I have turned into very funny, ha ha ha!!
#2MetaKirbyFanPosted 6/15/2010 1:59:35 PM
It is a new system and it is massively improved from the DSi.
---
Official priest of the Great Church of Bidoof on the B/W boards. Herp Derp, master.
#3And ManPosted 6/15/2010 1:59:47 PM
It's a successor, and the graphics are updated
---
Any tree can drop an apple. I'll drop the freaking moon.
Sho Minamimoto
#4PaperSpockPosted 6/15/2010 1:59:54 PM
Actually more powerful graphically, gb->gbc isn't a bad representation of the transition.
---
I thought I saw upon the stair a little man who wasn't there.
He wasn't there again today. Oh how I wish he'd go away.
#5protomole64Posted 6/15/2010 2:00:03 PM
It's a new system altogether. The graphics are spectacular from what we've seen so far, take a look.

e3.nintendo.com/3ds/

It's beyond amazing...it's orgasmic man! Look at Resident Evil for the graphics, so far it has the best one.
---
Q9450 @ 3.5ghz || 750GB SpinPoint F1 || New HAF 932 || HD 4870 @ 900/1250 (Musashi Cooler) || Xigmatek S1283
#6ScrounderPosted 6/15/2010 2:00:06 PM
This is a successor to the DS. Oh, and it's backwards compatible with DS games.
#7fire2boxPosted 6/15/2010 2:02:39 PM

And I'm not being sarcastic, I'm simply wondering.
Is the 3DS a successor to the DS, like the DS was a successor to the GBA?
Or is the 3DS a reiteration of the DS, like the DSi is a reiteration (with added features) of the DS Lite?

Also, if it is a successor, does it also imply that the graphical capacities of the 3DS have been upped since the DSi? I know there is going to be 3D, but do we know if it is actually more powerful, aside from the capacity of generate such 3D?

Yes the 3DS stands on it's own.. the GPU inside is wickedly more powerful. Yes the 3DS graphics can/will/has surpassed the DSI.

The current DS systems we all have are like the nintendo 64 in scale, just a little bit less. the 3DS games will look as good as PS2 games. Which is why we are getting a 3D version of MGS:Snake Eater.

Yes we do know it's more powerful, though we haven't got details on what sort of processor or GPU they are using to power the device. but it should be somewhat cutting edge.
#8Hyrulesaver123Posted 6/15/2010 2:03:43 PM
New console for multiple reasons:
-New game cart/method for playing games
-Upgraded processor (DS, DSL, and DSi all used the same processor)
-Major new feature (3D)
---
Not changing this sig until the the CoD:MW2 cliff hanger is relieved (IE Makarov dies)
Gamertag: one2many104; Currently playing: CoD:MW2
#9fire2boxPosted 6/15/2010 2:03:55 PM
The resident evil grahpics are pre-rendered and not taking from gameplay.. however kid Icarus and MGS:Snake Eater are fine examples of what the 3DS can/will do.
#10GunningSoul(Topic Creator)Posted 6/15/2010 2:05:50 PM
I'm usually a Nintendo cynic, but this is actually really blowing my mind. I liked my DS, but this is exponentially better. A portable with great graphics? 3D? Holy crap, I actually am impressed, for once! If this actually goes as well as it is supposed to, this wil make me foam in exitement. Thanks for the info.
---
The things of me? Well I am tolding you;
I have turned into very funny, ha ha ha!!