So.... how does this screen work?

#1MajorRagePosted 6/15/2010 2:15:51 PM
^ topic..
and did anyone catch the lame excuse of why it doesn't have 2 touch screens?

---
Playing "football" w/ hands, Bush elected into office (twice!), non-metric system, toothless gun carrying idiots. Oh yeah, we got our **** together...
#2MetaKirbyFanPosted 6/15/2010 2:16:57 PM
1. Touch screen smudges, which isn't good for 3D
2. Why 2 touch screens? That would suck.
---
Official priest of the Great Church of Bidoof on the B/W boards. Herp Derp, master.
#3ChargrilledPosted 6/15/2010 2:18:17 PM
i think its a lenticular screen. cheapest option.

as for lame excuse. dont think it is. for one, touching a 3d screen totally spoils the illusion of 3d.
#4ohh42Posted 6/15/2010 2:19:26 PM
As Iwata said it "3D and the touch screen don't get along well"

I'm guessing that means with your hand getting in the way of the screen the 3D effect messes up.
---
I'll give you a bad case of someone just shot me in the head if you don't hurry up! - John Marston
GT: Ragtag 21
#5PlatinumAcePosted 6/15/2010 2:19:51 PM
dont think i like the "2 touch screen" idea anyway.
and yeah, no idea how it works; i really wanna know though.
---
Top ******* Percentage.
#6knilsiloocPosted 6/15/2010 2:19:58 PM
From coolbho3000 on Gizmodo:

"For those who still don't understand how such a thing can work, get rid of your idea that "3D needs glasses" for a second.

The reason that 3D works is you're getting two images at once - you need both eyes to perceive depth. If you cover one eye, you lose your depth perception (in real life). Each eye sees the world from a different angle, and your brain combines them into an image with depth.

Think of the cross-eye stereoscopic images - they always have two images at slightly different perspective, and it is up to you to "merge" them together into one single image by crossing your eyes. Polarized lenses in modern movie theaters work the same way, but theaters project two images simultaneously on to the same screen - instead of crossing your eyes, one lens blocks out one projection, and the other lens blocks out the other projection.

The 3DS screen, from what I understand, is designed with special slits such that a different image reaches each of your eyes. The light from each image is blocked so that your left eye can't see the right eye's projection, and vice versa. This, of course, works only at very specific ranges, because the effect disappears when you get past the range at which the images converge. That is why there is an adjustment slider.

The result is real, no-frills 3D, not head tracking. Some people here don't seem to realize that there's a huge difference between head tracking and real 3D. Head tracking depends on your movement to give the illusion of a 3D image, while real 3D actually feeds both of your eyes three dimensional sensory information. Head tracking depends on parallax - when you move your head, the speed at which distant objects move appears different from the speed at which closer objects move. If the software knows exactly where your head is, it can adjust the image to compensate for parallax, creating a pseudo-3D effect. The catch is that you actually have to move your head to see the illusion, and in the end, it's only an illusion.

If you keep your head completely still, the 3DS still looks 3D. The same cannot be said for head tracking. The current DSi can do head tracking - anything with a forward facing camera and the right software can"

http://gizmodo.com/comment/24521900
#7HeroC114Posted 6/15/2010 2:20:48 PM
Well, he's right.

If you try to put your hand on the 3D screen, the immersion is somewhat ruined. First you're blocking your line of sight with the screen, ruining the 3D, and on top of that, you wouldn't be able to feel the objects on the 3D screen.

Think of the bottom screen like a mouse touchpad on a laptop.
---
Gamer Tag: Hero C
Playing: Borderlands, Prince of Persia, Super Street Fighter IV, Red Dead Redemption
#8GanonPwnagePosted 6/15/2010 2:21:12 PM
Magic. Nintendo magic.
#9MajorRage(Topic Creator)Posted 6/15/2010 2:27:33 PM
^hmmm, that sounds quite reminiscent of a lenticular screen....
It's the corduroy of screens.... I have to admit that there was a time when I found myself trying to touch the top screen on the ds, but yeah i guess it would destroy the illusion of 3d.

I really thought they were going to be using some kind of new technology for the upper screen... If I'm not mistaken I heard rumors of (can't remember exactly) mitsubishi or toshiba developing a special type of screen that could allow for 3d w/out glasses.
---
Playing "football" w/ hands, Bush elected into office (twice!), non-metric system, toothless gun carrying idiots. Oh yeah, we got our **** together...
#10MajorRage(Topic Creator)Posted 6/15/2010 2:31:51 PM
Also did anyone catch the bit about the depth adjuster?

---