Do you think the 3DS will have region-locking?

• Topic Archived
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo 3DS
  3. Do you think the 3DS will have region-locking?
5 years ago#1
After the DSi was released, special games that used DSi-only features had a region lock on them, meaning you couldn't play Japanese DSi games on an American DSi. Has Nintendo made any announcements on region-locking yet?
5 years ago#2
those games themselves were region locked...
5 years ago#3
I know that, and considering the 3DS has many of the same features of the DSi, I don't think it's entirely impossible that everything will be region-locked from the start.
5 years ago#4
depends on the developer

ifthey want to be snoody, they'll region lock
5 years ago#5
I'm sure that with DSI-specific and DSI-featured games being region locked, that set the precedent for ALL future 3DS games to be FULLY region locked.
---
CAPCOM needs to make a third Capcom Classics Collection (Include Super Street Fighter II), Mega Man: Powered Up 2 & Mega Man: Powered Up 3 for the PSP!
5 years ago#6
Not sure why they would region-lock the games, since games like Demon's Souls and Phoenix Wright would have never been translated to English if it weren't for importers.
5 years ago#7

Not sure why they would region-lock the games, since games like Demon's Souls and Phoenix Wright would have never been translated to English if it weren't for importers.

Exactly. I might not understand a lot of japanese - and what I do understand is with the help of a basic dictionary - but you bet I'll do a lot of importing next year since I won't be able to wait until the games are released in English xD
---
FCs in profile, but use this unless stated: Pt (Noy) 0646 8809 2868
Member of the NCG guild. 38 requests done so far~! - http://sites.google.com/site/nabbynabs
5 years ago#8
Agreed. And I really don't want to have to buy 2 systems just so I can play Japanese and American games. It's not like region-locking prevents piracy or anything.
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo 3DS
  3. Do you think the 3DS will have region-locking?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived