Do you think the 3DS will have region-locking?

#1PhireKrowPosted 6/15/2010 6:18:03 PM
After the DSi was released, special games that used DSi-only features had a region lock on them, meaning you couldn't play Japanese DSi games on an American DSi. Has Nintendo made any announcements on region-locking yet?
#2YoyokuKOPosted 6/15/2010 6:18:54 PM
those games themselves were region locked...
#3PhireKrow(Topic Creator)Posted 6/15/2010 6:24:40 PM
I know that, and considering the 3DS has many of the same features of the DSi, I don't think it's entirely impossible that everything will be region-locked from the start.
#4YoyokuKOPosted 6/15/2010 6:25:31 PM
depends on the developer

ifthey want to be snoody, they'll region lock
#5plagamesforevaPosted 6/15/2010 6:31:55 PM
I'm sure that with DSI-specific and DSI-featured games being region locked, that set the precedent for ALL future 3DS games to be FULLY region locked.
---
CAPCOM needs to make a third Capcom Classics Collection (Include Super Street Fighter II), Mega Man: Powered Up 2 & Mega Man: Powered Up 3 for the PSP!
#6PhireKrow(Topic Creator)Posted 6/15/2010 6:39:12 PM
Not sure why they would region-lock the games, since games like Demon's Souls and Phoenix Wright would have never been translated to English if it weren't for importers.
#7NabbyNabsPosted 6/15/2010 6:42:40 PM

Not sure why they would region-lock the games, since games like Demon's Souls and Phoenix Wright would have never been translated to English if it weren't for importers.

Exactly. I might not understand a lot of japanese - and what I do understand is with the help of a basic dictionary - but you bet I'll do a lot of importing next year since I won't be able to wait until the games are released in English xD
---
FCs in profile, but use this unless stated: Pt (Noy) 0646 8809 2868
Member of the NCG guild. 38 requests done so far~! - http://sites.google.com/site/nabbynabs
#8PhireKrow(Topic Creator)Posted 6/15/2010 6:47:19 PM
Agreed. And I really don't want to have to buy 2 systems just so I can play Japanese and American games. It's not like region-locking prevents piracy or anything.